The Student Room Group

Biology Unit 5 essay questions

Does anyone have any tips on how to revise/practice for the potential essay questions that could occur?

Thanks Sana
Original post by SAK1987
Does anyone have any tips on how to revise/practice for the potential essay questions that could occur?

Thanks Sana

Not as of yet, but since it's a synoptic essay, try to look through the AS content as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cookiemonster15
Not as of yet, but since it's a synoptic essay, try to look through the AS content as well :smile:

Thanks. I read a bit more and realised it could cover anything from AS too. I have so much to do as am a mature student and only just started looking at the content this week. But I have an alevel from 10 years ago so some of the ideas are similar. I have to just study hard for a few weeks and hopefully I get a C. That is all I need. wanted more but have to be realistic lol
is there an aqa a2 bio thread anywhere?........ my question is, when you use a dna probe to locate a gene, you use a section of a gene thats complementary to the gene youre targeting right? so why does restriction mapping tell you the sequence of the gene (base sequence) cos surely you would know that to make your dna probe?
or is restriction mapping done before the dna probe is used?
Original post by Nightinwind
is there an aqa a2 bio thread anywhere?........ my question is, when you use a dna probe to locate a gene, you use a section of a gene thats complementary to the gene youre targeting right? so why does restriction mapping tell you the sequence of the gene (base sequence) cos surely you would know that to make your dna probe?
or is restriction mapping done before the dna probe is used?

I imagine that the sequence of a mutated gene, for example, could be found using the chain termination method and restriction mapping, then once you know the gene you're looking for, a complementary copy (the gene probe) is made. You would need to know the sequence first in order to make the gene probe

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pineneedles
I imagine that the sequence of a mutated gene, for example, could be found using the chain termination method and restriction mapping, then once you know the gene you're looking for, a complementary copy (the gene probe) is made. You would need to know the sequence first in order to make the gene probe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buttttt, dont you have to have located the gene before you can sequence it.......

Quick Reply

Latest