The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

You seem to be on the right lines, to be honest they probably won't grill you like they will at OASC.

At the UAS level they will just be looking for somebody who shows a genuine interest in pursuing a career in the RAF, even if you're not sure of your specific branch or trade. Equally as important, they want to see that you will be keen to take advantage of all the opportunities which the UAS will provide, and that you will be a valuable addition to the squadron (confident, sporty, keen to fly etc...).

Obviously, the more you know RAF-wise the more boxes you'll tick, but don't worry about it too much. Just be yourself and show them that you will make a great squadron member!
just ben given my formal interview date with the cuas only next week, so will need to crack on with the prep.
Just also been given my formal interview date, just got under two weeks to prepare for it!
Reply 343
Remember not to panic guys, a lot of it is things that are not about preparing knowledge. Like confidence, your bearing, doing well under pressure.

When I went to OASC, one of the things that crippled me at the interview was the arguementative force from the interviewers, when they disagree etc and you have to find an answer to back up your opinion or view, if not, have the ability to take one on the chin. You just have to feel relaxed, remember that they are people too, and one more thing:

No one cares if a Tornado GR4 has 2 Turbo Union RB199 Mk103 turbofan engines. But they DO care about its new equipment such as ASTOR and the like.
Reply 344
Just got my interview date for YUAS - a week from today.....happy days.
Reply 345
Same here, but not for YUAS, if i do get in, UAS will subsidise my train journeys which are £61 and if to take in accont traveling at least once a week, its a lot of money.
Reply 346
Miza
Same here, but not for YUAS, if i do get in, UAS will subsidise my train journeys which are £61 and if to take in accont traveling at least once a week, its a lot of money.

What UAS you joining?
Reply 347
I will be trying for BUAS, aparently the best UAS there is :biggrin:

Interesting facts which might be worth mentioning at formal interview

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/vo051010/text/51010w07.htm

According to this data percentage of pilots entering the Royal Air Force since 1997 until 2004 have passed through university air squadrons was between 50-60% !

So if to take into account higher figure of 60% means that 40% were from elsewhere. Lets say that other 20% were mostlikely graduates which leaves us with 20% who because RAF pilots without going to uni.

We can also see that yearly RAF pilot intake is between 50-80 people, taking higher figure divide by 3 (Heli pilots/multi engine and other sorts/fast jet) leaves us with lets say average 25 people who make it as FJ Pilots a year.
Reply 348
I was under the impression that there were approx 103 pilot slots a year, with around 40 on rotary, 33 FJ, the rest ME and a couple UAV somewhere along the way.

Heard this from someone from the RAF CFS about 4 weeks ago! (unless I misunderstood...somebody like Wzz will tell us right/wrong).
Q_M
Just got my interview date for YUAS - a week from today.....happy days.

Good choice :wink:
Reply 350
*NuckingFuts*
Good choice :wink:

Just hope they choose me now!
Hey, quick question about the commitment side of things. I'm very unsure at the moment about whether I want to pursue a Forces or business career, and whilst I realise I have to decide soon being a second year student, at the moment I'm trying to keep my options open.

I love the idea of the UAS and imagine it will provide me with plenty regardless of the path I choose, but I am curious about how much across the Summer I need to do. I am considering applying for a Summer internship to extend my employability which would obviously take up some weeks at that time, but I imagine this would be impossible if I have a compulsory camp to attend. How flexible and optional are these things? I don't want to come across as uncommitted and lazy, I just want all the information before making a decision.

Also, and this is purely out of interest, can you leave when you want or is there a fixed term you join for? I only ask out of curiosity, and because it doesn't seem like it'd do me much good if I asked in an interview :wink:

Thanks for your help!
Reply 352
You can leave whenever you wish, there's no obligation to serve any set amount of time.

As for the commitment and the annual camps, they tend to be almost immediately after the end of the university year. On my sqn it used to be the trend that the various universities finished by the first week of june, at which point the camps were held. There is also the option of an SVA [Summer Vacational Attachment] which would last a week, but the timings of these are less fixed, they are also not as compulsory.

If you had a specific reason for requiring a spot on an earlier camp so that you could pursue other interests, there would be nothing wrong with explaining that to the staff and seeing if they can accommodate your needs. Odds are, they will be able to.

It's worth remembering that the UAS isn't there to recruit you. It's there to give you an insight. If you end up joining afterwards, great, if not, the aim is to make you someone who looks back on the UAS and RAF with fondness, to appreciate what it does.
Reply 353
When they says its an OASC style interview, they just mean 2 high ranked officers interviewing you. the "good and bad guy". I didnt realise that the UAS interview is much easier and less questions regarding why you want to join the RAF, your role, NATO, and where your training takes place etc.

Just to tell others, just had the interview couple of hours ago. Its not as hard as OASC. More like the filter interview.

So dont bother with getting into detail about IOT and the likes.

Learning a thing or two about North Korea is worthwhile though. And that Americans control the border between NK and SK.

Take from this what you will.
Reply 354
Got my interview tommorow, fingers crossed
I have been invited to a formal interview for the NUAS, which I am over the moon about!

Now, I have a slight problem. I have suffered from asthma most of my life yet for the past 10 months I have not and this has been clarified by a doctor and put on record. Obviously I would like to be a pilot, yet in the Navy since the RAF has a big NO around the asthma yet the Navy doesn't.

My question is- should I tell the interviewers that I want to move into the Navy after university as oppose to the RAF, and back this up by saying that the RAF is much more flying orientated and will interest me more throughout university etc? I know the training for pilots both in the Navy and RAF is practically identical, so I could bring this into the equation.

Is honesty good in this situation peoples?
Reply 356
No, because youll be rejected tbh. If you want he navy, why didnt you join the URNU? Bit strange really.
Chris the Mathematician!
Is honesty good in this situation peoples?

I'd be honest about it. I don't think they'll have a huge problem with the possiblilty of you joining the Navy. You need to ask yourself, that if flying in the Navy doesn't work out for you, would you consider a ground branch career in the RAF, or possibly WSOp? They may well ask you this at the interview.

I'm not the best person to shed light on this, but are you sure the Navy are so lax on the asthma situation? It seems to me that 10 months is way too short a time for the Navy to consider asthma not to be a problem. I'm not trying to p1ss on your parade, but you might want to look into it!

ub2008
No, because youll be rejected tbh. If you want he navy, why didnt you join the URNU? Bit strange really.

The URNU won't provide the flying aspects that the UAS will. If it is only the flying side of the navy that Chris is interested in, then it seems pointless joining the URNU! Plus the UAS is far better :wink:
Reply 358
Four years is generally the clearance period for asthma. Btw, you wont be able to fly in the navy if youve had any history of asthma, nor in the RAF. As far as Im aware, it akes you PMU for any aircrew job in the forces.
Reply 359
Join the UAS anyway. Doesn't matter that you're not aiming to fly in the RAF or that you possibly won't be able to fly at all. Just emphasise that you're keen and that as much as you may have wanted a career doing it, it doesn't look as though the odds are in your favour, so you want to fly while you can. More than a handful of guys got in on mine by saying as much. Quite a few have ended up going civvy, didn't harm their applications.

Quick Reply

Latest