The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys. I got a phone call earlier today saying I am now part of the squadron and no longer a reserve, all I need to do is get the medical done and I am in! I was so happy when the lady said I was being offered a place!
Reply 421
Chris the Mathematician!
Hey guys. I got a phone call earlier today saying I am now part of the squadron and no longer a reserve, all I need to do is get the medical done and I am in! I was so happy when the lady said I was being offered a place!

Which UAS, NUAS?
Reply 422
Chris the Mathematician!

Congratulations !
CSmiley91
Which UAS, NUAS?

Why aye man. I was one of the three told to stand, the male one. You in NUAS?
Reply 424
Chris the Mathematician!
Why aye man. I was one of the three told to stand, the male one. You in NUAS?

I know you! :wink:
CSmiley91
I know you! :wink:

Oh no!
Of course I know who you are. I wasnt sat next to you at all... :wink:
Reply 426
Chris the Mathematician!
Oh no!
Of course I know who you are. I wasnt sat next to you at all... :wink:

Haha :smile:
Reply 427
Interesting stuff on this thread these days....
You also can't join UAS if you go to University of Derby. (Even though it's an East Midland University!!!)
Reply 429
matt_tulett
You also can't join UAS if you go to University of Derby. (Even though it's an East Midland University!!!)

I'm sure if you turned up at one of ther other university freshers fair they would be fine with it?
Reply 430
If you push enough buttons, talk to enough [of the right] people and use the correct channels you can join a UAS no matter which university you're at, providing you meet the basic requirements. I know of a person who was able to join LUAS [Liverpool] despite going to the University of Chester which isn't ordinarily affiliated.
Absolutely, I got on YUAS coming from Leeds College of Music.
Reply 432
Scimitar_vc
Absolutely, I got on YUAS coming from Leeds College of Music.

Playing the violin as well.
When you finish UAS (with a sponsorship or an intention to join the RAF straight after), do you need to go through tests (like medical, leadership, interviews) etc etc again or do the RAF put you up for the beginning of proper training after your uni course is done?
Reply 434
If you have passed OASC, whether it be via the bursary or the DE route during your time at uni, that is it, you are in.

Bursars who apply as aircrew and are successful, have to pass medicals every year during uni, which aren't as extensive as the OASC ones, as far as I know. I imagine this may be the same for DE.

If you have got in, then you must join your UAS and are subject to a review from your boss annually, if you don't make the cut then you may find yourself in a sticky situation leading to a chop, before you are even in. This happened to a guy on my unit last year.
ouch, ive found out that b/c I have slight myopia, my eyesight is degrading in both eyes. Faster in the right eye. At the moment I'm within limits for short sightedness, but at the rate they are degrading it doesn't look like it'll stay like that for long. It might even be better to apply after sixth form and see what happens.
Reply 436
It seems this thread has been quiet for a while now! How are those that were applying last year finding it so far?

I know it may seem a long way off yet, but with many things going on with regards to exams and University applications, I wondered if anybody hoping to start at University this September had thought about UAS yet? I am hoping to get into SUAS!
Reply 437
Hi,
I am in my last year at college now, planning to go to Leeds uni in september and cannot wait to apply to UAS.

Does anyone know the specific eyesight requirements for flying there though?

Thanks.
Reply 438
There are none (at least, no stringent ones). Just don't be blind, basically.
Reply 439
halotrip
Hi,
I am in my last year at college now, planning to go to Leeds uni in september and cannot wait to apply to UAS.

Does anyone know the specific eyesight requirements for flying there though?

Thanks.

I look forward to seeing you, I will be at the freshers fair / selection day. People with glasses can fly, its not really an issue. You just need to be able to pass a DVLA Class 2 medical.

Q_M :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest