The Student Room Group

BBC News: Migrant crisis - UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis'

Scroll to see replies

Well many Iraqis are returning to Iraq after realizing that life in Europe isn't all that.
We should employ the use of water cannons. In the cold winter it should be enough of a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
We should employ the use of water cannons. In the cold winter it should be enough of a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's just OTT
Original post by _icecream
Wow that's just OTT

I'd imagine the reasoning behind it would be that it's better to face cold water than it is cold lead. I'd sooner take a bath over a bullet any day.

But that's assuming it comes down to that.
Reply 44
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'd imagine the reasoning behind it would be that it's better to face cold water than it is cold lead. I'd sooner take a bath over a bullet any day.

But that's assuming it comes down to that.

It's just not viable with the amount of small children at the borders. 6 (I think) had to be medically treated due to tear gas exposure yesterday due to 1 canister. Imagine what a water cannon could do to a toddler!
Original post by Wattsy
It's just not viable with the amount of small children at the borders. 6 (I think) had to be medically treated due to tear gas exposure yesterday due to 1 canister. Imagine what a water cannon could do to a toddler!

I'd question the mental state of anyone who takes a toddler to an area that has water cannons and tear gas within.

I'd also question the parental competency of anyone who would risk using their children as an emotional blackmail attempt against the willing users of such weapons.

I sympathise with the refugees, I really do. It sucks to be bombed out of your house. But breaking into countries unlawfully is going to have repercussions, that's basic common sense at play. And seeing as enabling idiocy is what got us into this mess in the first place, I won't be shedding any tears for people who are taking their kids into an environment that could essentially turn into a battlefield at the drop of a hat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
The parents weren't anticipating tear gas I don't think, they were at the border fence and then a bunch of people tried to use a battering ram to knock it down, it got out of control fairly quickly. Where does the electric fence begin? Syria? Once they're making their way across to Europe they have to be distributed in some sort of even-handed manner; it's not fair or possible for Macedonia or Turkey to absorb the mass exodus without help. It's not their fault their country borders a war zone. We need a united global effort to mitigate effects of the mass displacement of people and we're not getting one so we have the current situation.
Reply 47
I'm not that familiar with Turkey to be honest but whipping out 511 miles of electrified border fence when ISIS formed up is almost certainly beyond them and any other country in the world,
Original post by TheArtofProtest
They can also make the journey if they so wish.

So the earth turns to a massive border-less superstate, can't see anything wrong with that. "if they so wish" is a bit of an overstatement as it is significantly harder to get to Europe from Guatemala than Libya. Isn't that discrimination against Guatemalans?

It's not but it just happens to be a part of the world that has lately seen a disproportionate amount of wars and uprisings.

Maybe not in countries like America, but it seems that way in mainland Europe as the vetting process is almost non-existent. "disproportionately" is normally codeword for quotas which are often unfair and counter-productive. So a victim of conflict in Cameroon/Mexico/Pakistan is less worthy of being a victim than if you are from Syria/Libya?
Many migrants are here for economic reasons (not genuine refugees), so an economic migrant from Australia/India is less worthy of being an economic migrant despite of merits?

Because they don't want refugees and working conditions are terrible.

So Saudi Arabians should be held in a lower standard than Europeans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

These people ran away from gunfire and bombing and airstrikes, they went across the Mediterranean, many of whom capsized and drowned or witnessed death and abuse from people in their countries, and had been attacked with tear gas, etc... do you really think a little water will break their spirit?
Original post by Cato the Elder
I hope that happens.

Counter productive. Would lead to even more white-guilt from "the left" and more propaganda fuel for anti-west Islamist groups. In this "war", whenever one side goes up on a "shooting spree" (or droning spree), the other side wins.

I'm ignoring the blatant support for a Holocaust-like event.
Original post by Alcohonick
These people ran away from gunfire and bombing and airstrikes, they went across the Mediterranean, many of whom capsized and drowned or witnessed death and abuse from people in their countries, and had been attacked with tear gas, etc... do you really think a little water will break their spirit?

It is not the water which will break their spirit, it is the cold after the water.
Wow that's just OTT

Would you rather they get shot?
Wow that's just OTT

Wake up, these men are not going to stop coming because we ask them nicely not to. They're currently tearing town barbed wire fenced in SE Europe...

Unless they are forcefully prevented they will keep coming in their millions.

And I'd be more worried about that as a young women than anyone...Amazes me how little resolve or clear thinking European women display on this issue. A few sob stories and you'd have half of Arabia camped in your living room
(edited 8 years ago)
Would you rather they get shot?

Obviously no
Obviously no

But we can't get let them all in without at least processing them. If they want to try and violently enter we have the right to violently resist, however violence will not solve anything in this situation. That is why water cannons are the better option.
Original post by Prajna
I would argue that multiculturalism needs to be suppressed until this crisis is over.

Ish. There's only one culture which is hugely repellent.
Reply 57
Original post by MildredMalone
Ish. There's only one culture which is hugely repellent.

That may be the case but coloured faces are perceptible and can easily be regarded as embodying the problem.
It is not the water which will break their spirit, it is the cold after the water.

And you think they don't know cold? People are going to migrate whether there are strong borders or not, the only thing we can control is how they are received.
The million dollar question : what does Europe gain from hosting refugees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending