The Student Room Group

Stuck on last part of trig identity question.

secA(sin2A-1)2/[cosA(sec2A - tan2A)]+(2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A
[cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] = cosA

what do I do with
(2sin2A + cos2A) ???

and I am new to student room and how do I write equations in a form like other people do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Chairm
secA(sin2A-1)2 / [cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] + (2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

what do I do with
(2sin2A + cos2A) ???

and I am new to student room and how do I write equations in a form like other people do?

You need to use tex. There is a link but essentially, you surround an equation by [] brackets containing tex to open and /tex to close.

Your opener is (in latex) \frac{\secA(\sin2A-1)^2}{[ \cos A (\sec A - \tan 2A)]+(2 \sin 2A + \cos 2A)}=2
Here it with the tex tags on

secA(sin2A1)2[cosA(secAtan2A)]+(2sin2A+cos2A)=2 \frac{ \sec A (\sin2A-1)^2}{[ \cos A (\sec A - \tan 2A)]+(2 \sin 2A + \cos 2A)}=2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chairm
secA(sin2A-1)2 / [cosA(sec2A - tan2A)] + (2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

Where did you get this from? It's completely wrong.

secA(sin2A1)2=secA(sin22A2sin2A+1)\sec A(\sin 2A - 1)^2 = \sec A(\sin^2 2A - 2\sin 2A + 1)

Do you know how to expand brackets of the form (a+b)2(a+b)^2?

You haven't replied to the other thread that I answered your question on, why not? You can use LaTeX\LaTeX if you want to typeset equations, but you really need not.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Where did you get this from? It's completely wrong.

secA(sin2A1)2=secA(sin22A2sin2A+1)\sec A(\sin 2A - 1)^2 = \sec A(\sin^2 2A - 2\sin 2A + 1)

Do you know how to expand brackets of the form (a+b)2(a+b)^2?

You haven't replied to the other thread that I answered your question on, why not? You can use LaTeX\LaTeX if you want to typeset equations, but you really need not.

oh sorry. I forgotten to put powers.
It's a question given from lesson as a hand out, it doesn't have answer sheet so I cannot check if I am going right way.
tried using latex but it seems a bit difficult...I'll need to look into it more

Oh and for previous post, I have worked out the question and got the answer. Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Chairm
oh sorry. I forgotten to put powers.
It's a question given from lesson as a hand out, it doesn't have answer sheet so I cannot check if I am going right way.
tried using latex but it seems a bit difficult...I'll need to look into it more

Not sure I understand, post your corrected working so we can have a look?

Feel free to post your workings using picture, etc... so we can verify them for you if you want. You can make as many threads as you like.

There's no point using LaTex if you're not comfortable with it. Don't worry about it. :smile:

Oh and for previous post, I have worked out the question and got the answer. Thank you :smile:

It's common courtesy to reply back to the person (SeanFM in this case) who helped you on the thread itself. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Not sure I understand, post your corrected working so we can have a look?

Feel free to post your workings using picture, etc... so we can verify them for you if you want. You can make as many threads as you like.

There's no point using LaTex if you're not comfortable with it. Don't worry about it. :smile:

It's common courtesy to reply back to the person (SeanFM in this case) who helped you on the thread itself. :smile:

I've double checked that question. I have corrected the powers. Does it still seem to be wrong?

And yes I am sorry about that. I will do that from now on. I am just not familiar with this forum yet :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Chairm
secA(sin2A-1)2/[cosA(sec2A - tan2A)]+(2sin2A + cos2A) = 2

secA(sin2A-1)2 = cos3A

what do I do with
(2sin2A + cos2A) ???

So you now have:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{\sec A(\sin^2 A - 1)^2}{\cos A (\csec^2 A - \tan^2 A)} = \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} =\cos^2 A

So: cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A=2cos2A+2sin2A=2(cos2A+sin2A)\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

Can you think of a familiar trigonometric identity that connects cos2A+sin2A\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A and 11?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
So you now have:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{\sec A(\sin^2 A - 1)^2}{\cos A (\csec^2 A - \tan^2 A)} = \frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} =\cos^2 A

So: cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A=2cos2A+2sin2A=2(cos2A+sin2A)\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

Can you think of a familiar trigonometric identity that connects cos2A+sin2A\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A and 11?

cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A=2cos2A+2sin2A=2(cos2A+sin2A)\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

For this one, how do you get
cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

wouldn't it be

cos^3 A / cosA + (2sin^2A + cos^2A)

and then

cos2A / 2sin2A + cos2A
Reply 8
Original post by Chairm
cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A=2cos2A+2sin2A=2(cos2A+sin2A)\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 2 \cos^2 A + 2\sin^2 A = 2(\cos^2 A + \sin^2 A)

For this one, how do you get
cos2A+2sin2A+cos2A\cos^2 A + 2 \sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

wouldn't it be

cos^3 A / cosA + (2sin^2A + cos^2A)

and then

cos2A / 2sin2A + cos2A

The (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) aren't in the denominator.

It's cos3AcosA+2sin2A+cos2A\frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} + 2\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
The (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) aren't in the denominator.

It's cos3AcosA+2sin2A+cos2A\frac{\cos^3 A}{\cos A} + 2\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A

oh wow... thought (2 sin^2 A + cos^2 A) was in the denominator the whole time..

Then yes, you are right

2sin^2A +cos^2A + cos^2A = 2sin^2A+2cos^2A

using sin^2A + cos^2A = 1 identity

you get 2...

Thank you so much for your help...
If you didn't correct me that the second part is not in the denominator, I would have never found that suspicious..
Reply 10
Original post by Chairm

No problem. Glad to help.

Quick Reply

Latest