The Student Room Group

Going part-time to study a MA

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, wasn't too sure where to put it!

Since I graduated in July 2014, I have worked in recruitment for the same company. Recruitment was never my first career choice, but it was the opportunity I had at the time, and as it has always been a stable job, I've never seen a reason to change it.

Before I graduated, I always had in mind that I wanted to study an MA and then a PhD, as ultimately, I want to become a lecturer of English Literature. I realised that there was no way I could work and study full-time without going insane, so last year I put in a request at work to go part-time (3 days a week) to enable me to study. My request was denied outright and despite my devestation, I resigned myself to another year of working full-time, as I was not in a financial position to leave my job, and I couldn't find a part-time job that would allow me to continue to progress in a business environment.

Since then, I have moved to a different department, with a new manager, and I'm hoping to put a new request in for part-time hours. I'm hoping that as I'm now permanently home-based, I can convince my manager that it won't impact too much on the business, as I'll be able to make up admin work, etc, in the free time I'm not at uni. My work is not particularly demanding, but recruitment is notorious for fluctuating in this respect.

My question is WHEN should I broach the subject with my manager, and how can I go about it to assure her that it would be a reasonable move? I was thinking I should tell her in May, as this give her 4 months to sort out the necessities, but I don't want to give her too long to mull it over and maybe change her mind.

I'm extremely worried that it will be rejected again - my heart is telling me to throw caution to the wind and study full-time, but I realise this would be stupid as 1) the economic situation is bleak and I would be an idiot to throw away a stable career and 2) I'm just not even in a financial position to do that. Unfortunately, being physically able to live is more essential than fulfilling a passion.

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending