The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Both were fantastic.... Food science was very straight forward. Very little recognition of experiments needed...

UT4 was okwhen doing it.... but nothing was impossible to answer... I got confused on the last question slightly. Should improve on 70/90

Although hard to tell with nuffield. They are so nitpicky!
Reply 2
hi there! yep i am retaking nuffield (hate it!) and found unit 4 ok, was better than last year although i made a few mistakes that i realised after the exam! took biochem option (school forced us!) and that was really nice (although only worth 7.5%) The first question was the same word for word as the specimen paper i had from the net and so i remembered the mark scheme (althoug it was only worth 2 marks!) but was a nice start to a nice paper.
looking forward to the synoptic on tue?
powerball
Both were fantastic.... Food science was very straight forward. Very little recognition of experiments needed...

UT4 was okwhen doing it.... but nothing was impossible to answer... I got confused on the last question slightly. Should improve on 70/90

Although hard to tell with nuffield. They are so nitpicky!

yeah nuffield are sooo picky! why do you want to improve on 70/90? also do you remember the answer to the food science question on how the benedicts procedure could be improved for use with sucrose?
Reply 4
i said hydrolyse/ boil with 1M HCl, then do the test again coz glucose will now be produced

iam sooo scared about synoptic?: does anyone haf any papers?? rdoh is not working as u know..
Reply 5
got the last 2 synoptic, including me last year one (got really low mark) and theres one on edexcel site, its much harder than any of the real exams i think. but its good to learn the mark shemes, cause theres always points you will miss out on, you need to push the right buttons for the examiner to give you the marks! main thing is to remember your book on tuesday, and practice finding the right pages/ topics to get data and answers. and with nuffield, its a good idea to read the questiona few times, its often quite simple, but i have wasted time in the past looking for a more complicted answer. always state the obvious, its often worth a mark!
Reply 6
magiccarpet
yeah nuffield are sooo picky! why do you want to improve on 70/90? also do you remember the answer to the food science question on how the benedicts procedure could be improved for use with sucrose?

Yeah you boil it in dilute hydrochloric acid to break up sucrose into fructose and glucose which are able to reduce the copper ion.

Cos 70/90 is a B and Im expecting bad things on the synoptic so its probably a good idea to scrap as many marks as possible
*hehe* yeah i dunno why i asked that now, i resat 4 to get from 67/90 to at least 72. i worked out i only need an E for da synoptic YAY!! is it true you can take in a 'lightly annotated txtbk into the xm??!! pleeeeeeeesssssssseee sum1 reply soon!!!!!
btw how the hell you know all dat abt the sucrose? im sure i haf never heard it in my life!!

Latest

Trending

Trending