The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford clinical science/ medicine foundation

Anyone going to do clinical sciences/medicine foundation in 2016/2017???
Hello,

I have just graduated from this course and unfortunately have to say It was totally shambolic. The premise under which a lot of us were brought onto it was false! If you haven't done science A levels, you have got NO chance transferring from foundation year.

In years 2 and 3, modules were unplanned and executed terribly- we were something of a guinea pig year where they tested a whole load of new modules/ideas/workloads etc on us and it was just awful! One module in Year 2 was just appalling- the workload it involved was only over one semester but was totally excessive and the support was nonexistent; when people who usually got 70s got 40s we were told we just hadn't worked hard enough! Feedback is never accepted on the course-it's shoved back in our faces. Some dissertation supervisors were very un-supportive which unfortunately brought down people's marks a lot. Intelligent and diligent students were screwed over by random marking and a culture of not accepting any responsibility on the course. I would strongly advise you not to get involved with it- re-do your A levels and reapply for medicine. Or, do another degree where you're actually going somewhere and you're treated with the respect you deserve. The number of people with emotional and mental health difficulties which have stemmed from the course in some way is really astounding, not to mention sickening. The faculty does not respect its students; official complaints have taken months to receive any response (which has only ever been to blame the students, again).
If you'd like to chat any more, please PM me- trust me, nobody should spend their university days as miserable as we were. Do not do Clinical Sciences at Bradford.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
I read the above post and thought I should share my experiences of the course:
I started clin sci in 2014 and I've genuinely had such an amazing 2 years. The city has been better than I expected, the social aspect has been great and there's lots of great, down to earth people. The course itself is really quite challenging but 100% manageable and also incredibly enjoyable. After the first year you'll be shocked at how much you've developed and learnt over the year. The lecturers on the whole are really nice and helpful if you go an approach them.
I transferred to Leeds this year and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to do this course at Bradford, I don't know of any other course like this in the country so if you get an offer you've done well up until this point. I must add too that the prospects are really good for if you don't transfer; I know of many people who have gone off to do graduate medicine/medicine as a second degree from clin sci. The course really prepares you for medicine, be it at Leeds or elsewhere so I'm sure you'll have a great time like I did if you work hard and get involved with all the different societies/sports on offer at the uni :smile:

*I only did biology science a level too btw and people who hadn't done bio or Chem still got over 70 in foundation :smile: just PM if you want to know anything else
(edited 7 years ago)
im doing Biology, maths and applied science, my predicted grades are A, B, D*D* would i get an offer and i applied for the foundation year clinical science, is there a chance of me transferring to leeds medicine in first or second year, or after the full 4 years??
Original post by Arch19
I started clin sci in 2014 and I've genuinely had such an amazing 2 years. The city has been better than I expected, the social aspect has been great and there's lots of great, down to earth people. The course itself is really quite challenging but 100% manageable and also incredibly enjoyable. After the first year you'll be shocked at how much you've developed and learnt over the year. The lecturers on the whole are really nice and helpful if you go an approach them.
I transferred to Leeds this year and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to do this course at Bradford, I don't know of any other course like this in the country so if you get an offer you've done well up until this point. I must add too that the prospects are really good for if you don't transfer; I know of many people who have gone off to do graduate medicine/medicine as a second degree from clin sci. The course really prepares you for medicine, be it at Leeds or elsewhere so I'm sure you'll have a great time like I did if you work hard and get involved with all the different societies/sports on offer at the uni :smile:

*I only did biology science a level too btw and people who hadn't done bio or Chem still got over 70 in foundation :smile: just PM if you want to know anything else

How do you prepare for an Interview for Route 3? What is it like?
Reply 5
How was the transfer process to Leeds, does the university offer any help
Original post by Arch19

Original post by Arch19

Reply 6
Hey. I did A level Biology, chemistry, sociology and ict. I got BCCD. I just wanted to find out if my grades would disadvantage me when transferring to Leeds. would they consider the A level grades as well or they look at my grade at the end of the foundation year and everything else depending on how I perform for the interview.

I would also like to ask how many people were able to get 70% and above and how many were accepted into Leeds?

Where there any who got rejected by Leeds even if they got the grades?

And if may ask, what were your A level grades?
Hi :ciao:

If you have met the widening participation criteria for the route 3 transfer to Leeds and you achieve high grades in the Foundation year then Leeds would be more interested in this than your A Levels.

The number of people who transfer to Leeds varies, but this is up to 20 students each year. It is at the discretion of Leeds who they accept for the transfer so there is no guarantee.

I hope that helps! :biggrin:

Emma A

Original post by Piscill
Hey. I did A level Biology, chemistry, sociology and ict. I got BCCD. I just wanted to find out if my grades would disadvantage me when transferring to Leeds. would they consider the A level grades as well or they look at my grade at the end of the foundation year and everything else depending on how I perform for the interview.

I would also like to ask how many people were able to get 70% and above and how many were accepted into Leeds?

Where there any who got rejected by Leeds even if they got the grades?

And if may ask, what were your A level grades?
Reply 8
hey Arch19,

im thinking of applying to the course this year. I was wondering if you coud tell me if the course is very hard or not. When you did the course did you feel like it was harder than A levels. Im really unsure about the course.

And what were your A level grades if you dnt mind me asking. I have BCCD and im not sure i will be able to manage the course and transfer to leeds.
Reply 9
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi :ciao:

If you have met the widening participation criteria for the route 3 transfer to Leeds and you achieve high grades in the Foundation year then Leeds would be more interested in this than your A Levels.

The number of people who transfer to Leeds varies, but this is up to 20 students each year. It is at the discretion of Leeds who they accept for the transfer so there is no guarantee.

I hope that helps! :biggrin:

Emma A

Hello Emma and the Bradford Admissions Team! :grin:

My ultimate goal would be to transfer to study Medicine, and I would be grateful for any advice you can give me. I've also got a few questions which I would really appreciate your help with:

I meet two and possibly three of the widening participation criteria. However, please may you advise me what your 'residency criteria' are for the Route 3 scheme? Do I have to live somewhere specific?

Also are the minimum requirements for the route 3 option the same as for the foundation year BCC/104 UCAS points?

Also if I originally applied to study B990, but am now hoping to gain access via route 3 and I have been given an interview... what would the interview be based on and what kind of questions will be asked? Will it be about my extenuating circumstances? Or...why I want to study Clinical sciences, why at Bradford/Leeds or why do I want to study Medicine? For Medicine they often supply typical interview questions so you know how to prepare, but I haven't found a similar set of questions nor details of interview activities for this course.

What will the outcome of the interview determine? If you have the grades/UCAS points and widening participation criteria already, can you still be turned down at interview?

Thank you for your time and help! :smile:
Original post by Frey___
Hello Emma and the Bradford Admissions Team! :grin:

My ultimate goal would be to transfer to study Medicine, and I would be grateful for any advice you can give me. I've also got a few questions which I would really appreciate your help with:

I meet two and possibly three of the widening participation criteria. However, please may you advise me what your 'residency criteria' are for the Route 3 scheme? Do I have to live somewhere specific?

Also are the minimum requirements for the route 3 option the same as for the foundation year BCC/104 UCAS points?

Also if I originally applied to study B990, but am now hoping to gain access via route 3 and I have been given an interview... what would the interview be based on and what kind of questions will be asked? Will it be about my extenuating circumstances? Or...why I want to study Clinical sciences, why at Bradford/Leeds or why do I want to study Medicine? For Medicine they often supply typical interview questions so you know how to prepare, but I haven't found a similar set of questions nor details of interview activities for this course.

What will the outcome of the interview determine? If you have the grades/UCAS points and widening participation criteria already, can you still be turned down at interview?

Thank you for your time and help! :smile:

Hello :smile:

Students must be UK-based.

The entry requirements for Route 1, 2 and 3 are the same - 104 UCAS points with at least 2 Cs if applying with A-levels - no specific subjects are required (you also need to meet the GCSE requirements).

Whilst I cannot give you the exact interview questions we would ask you to consider things such as: your enthusiasm for the Clinical Sciences and medicine in general; delivering clinical care; developing the skills needed for a healthcare profession; NHS values amongst other things :biggrin:

The course is very competitive so even if you meet the widening participation and academic requirements, students still need to perform well in the interview.

I hope this helps!

Joe

Quick Reply

Latest