Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Creative Labs MP3 Jukebox 3

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Does anybody have one of these? For 140 quid I can get a 20gb with Fm tuner remote type thingy. This seemed a pretty good deal, I was just wondering what everyone thought of them?

They seem to be fairly similar to the creative zen but for the lower pirce you get a larger size, about the size of a CD walkman.

Opinions welcome!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Hey guys. Does anybody have one of these? For 140 quid I can get a 20gb with Fm tuner remote type thingy. This seemed a pretty good deal, I was just wondering what everyone thought of them?

They seem to be fairly similar to the creative zen but for the lower pirce you get a larger size, about the size of a CD walkman.

Opinions welcome!
    they're ok, if you can put up with the huuge size.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got one - bought one about a week before Apple brought out iPods for PCs :rolleyes: It's pretty good though, bulkier than others but as an advantage you get mega battery life (22 hours if you add in an extra battery as I have done - far far superior to my boyfriend's iPod!). Decent user interface and some nice accessories too - changeable fascias, PC docking station, etc. Not bad value for money if you're not after the tiniest jukebox on the market
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Opinions welcome!
    I wouldn't recommend it. If it's bulky, it takes away a lot of the advantages of having an mp3 player. When the player's small you can carry it everywhere and you'll really notice the difference if you get a bigger one.

I'd get an iPod or even an iPod mini (despite the smaller capacity). They seem expensive at first but you really get quality, a good warranty and good customer service. I've had a 20gig iPod for a year now and I'm so glad I bought it and wasn't tempted by the cheaper models.

If you don't have enough money yet, just be patient. Or you could always get a refurbished model (as I did).

Just another thing: I don't think you're getting very good value for money if you pay 140 for it. Just add a bit of money and get an iPod.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a few threads on the iPod already and over the net it seems a lot of people prefer the iRiver's HD mp3 player instead. For a slightly bigger (millimetres) box you get a many more functions for a lot less money.

www.iriveramerica.com

I have an iHP-140, it's lovely
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    For a slightly bigger (millimetres) box you get a many more functions for a lot less money.
    yup i second this...

or you can get a Rio Karma that plays back audio in flac format if your interested in sound quality (flac is a lossless compression) Karma is the best... its fatter but shorter than the ipod... totally different shape... its plasticy though

edit: info/reviews on rio karma:
    http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2003/karma.html
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/458/458401p1.html
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Rio_Karma__2...-30474134.html
    • followers

Opinions welcome!
    It's amazing how fast mp3 players are going down in price. I'm pretty sure those were £300 on amazon last Christmas.

Anyway, the Jukebox 3 is pretty similar to the Jukebox Zen nx (what I have), but has more features, balanced by a larger size. It's meant to be good if you don't mind the size, and creative labs is a good make. It is quite an old model though. If I were you I'd spend a bit more for something newer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    It's amazing how fast mp3 players are going down in price. I'm pretty sure those were £300 on amazon last Christmas.

Anyway, the Jukebox 3 is pretty similar to the Jukebox Zen nx (what I have), but has more features, balanced by a larger size. It's meant to be good if you don't mind the size, and creative labs is a good make. It is quite an old model though. If I were you I'd spend a bit more for something newer.
    like an iPod!

I really recommend looking at online stores where the products get ratings.
    Amazon USA (www.amazon.com) uses ratings and you can tell that, apart from the iPod, there are too many complaints with other products. Read the comments before making up your mind.

The iRiver isn't too bad but it looks too much like a cheap copy of an iPod.

There aren't that many negative comments you can make about the iPod.
    If you've ever used iTunes to listen to mp3s on a comp, you'll be very familiar with the iPod interface.
    Apple offers great customer service: if it packs up (and these things do as they're just a basic laptop battery and a disk drive), they replace it almost immediately.

The iPod looks great
    There are so many compatible devices you can buy.
    The interface is basic but really efficient
    All in all, it's a high-quality device and you'll become instantly addicted to it.
    You'll get good customer service no matter where you go

Unlike other players, where you'll use it to start with and when you'll realise that the interface is a pain to use, that the thing crashes every few hours and that it's too damn bulky to carry around in your pocket, you'll grow tired of it.
    When I was in the US, everyone was buying one and after being tempted by loads of cheaper alternatives, I decided to save up a bit more to get the iPod
    If you must buy anything other than an iPod, be really careful.
    Keep in mind that a lot of the other disk-drive jukeboxes are just failed attempts at copying the iPod.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)

Yea, 140 quid sounds like a lot for such an old model.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I have an iHP-140, it's lovely
    What sort of battery life are you getting at the moment? Are you making playlists in Winamp?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Opinions welcome!
    dont get it - the size is disgustingly massive
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the slickness and stupendously ill looks of the ipod wont be surpassed by any mp3 player anytime soon, jack!
    yea i got one, and when im blasting st.anger i realise how f****n cool it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do people with ipods still use the ****ty white headphones? :rolleyes:

If you look past the "ooh its white and shiny" and "ooh its cool" aspects of the ipod, its not really the best player. The best is the iRiver, and any of the creative range are very good too. There really is no point in splashing out on an ipod (incidentally, I believe that compaq made a HDD-based mp3 player before apple did)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)

If you look past the "ooh its white and shiny" and "ooh its cool" aspects of the ipod, its not really the best player. The best is the iRiver, and any of the creative range are very good too. There really is no point in splashing out on an ipod (incidentally, I believe that compaq made a HDD-based mp3 player before apple did)

yea but the fact that no one can look past the ohhh ahh its shiny and so damn good looking is why it is the best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking on the internet and instead of getting an MP3 player I might get a pocket pc, like a HP ipaq. I can then use that as an mp3 player, they are small and have other functions.

Any opinions? How easy is it to surf the web, do MSN on these? How does one connect?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)

Those headphones are far from ****ty. You're just looking at the appearance. They actually have great acoustics Just compare them to any fancy headphones at around 20quid, and they're much better. Of course you can get way better if you pay a little more.

I'm not too sure why any other model would be better than the iPod: it's sturdy, solid stuff, great customer service, the software doesn't crash every two days (the mini has problems though), the interface is perfect, it's the perfect size, the good looks are just a little extra. Why buy anything else?
    You get your money's worth. It's up to you to decide if you don't mind having less quality. When you start getting problems, that's when you realise that you didn't get a bargain at all and that saving a few extra quid is definitely worth it.

As for who was first, you'll have to look at a small company called Archos.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking on the internet and instead of getting an MP3 player I might get a pocket pc, like a HP ipaq. I can then use that as an mp3 player, they are small and have other functions.

Any opinions? How easy is it to surf the web, do MSN on these? How does one connect?
    If you want an mp3 player, get an mp3 player... the HP ipaq is a pocket computer and has mp3 functionalities but it doesn't replace an mp3 player.
    There are many disadvantages in "combo" devices. It's up to you to decide: what's important? The pc functionalities or the mp3 functionalities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want an mp3 player, get an mp3 player... the HP ipaq is a pocket computer and has mp3 functionalities but it doesn't replace an mp3 player.
    What do you base that on? How is a pocket pc with itunes (or equivalent) any different? What "mp3 functionalities" are those?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gimp!

using your iriver can you record music directly from the inbuilt radio?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    using your iriver can you record music directly from the inbuilt radio?
    I don't believe you can. "It's simply not possible because the firmware doesn't support it. Technically it would be possible since other hd dap's can so it. There is however the interference problem the hd spinning will cause during recording." That's not to say that they may not update the firmware and give you that ability.
Updated: June 25, 2004
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.