The Student Room Group

Have you heard of 'cheating watches'?

Scroll to see replies

So strapping a computer onto your arm. Invigilators aren't going to notice that...
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
If people don't think cheating is widespread, they're idiots. For the record, I never cheated in my exams, but for language orals at GCSE our teacher mimed what to say and our controlled assessments were all put down as A*'s which to be fair to me, I had no control over.

If my teacher had been nice enough to give me a D in my oral controlled assessments it would have saved me years of worry. And you got an A*!
Original post by morgan8002
If my teacher had been nice enough to give me a D in my oral controlled assessments it would have saved me years of worry. And you got an A*!

Some people like getting the D in their orals.
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Some people like getting the D in their orals.

:facepalm:
Original post by SmashConcept
Pretty ironic that @Captain Jack is going to go on the radio talking about how bad it is to cheat in exams or whatever after getting his forum to do all the homework for him smdfjh :nn:

:s-smilie: asking students if this is a real thing 'is' the home work - it's research.
:facepalm:

My high school was like that

Really middle class and professional, but rotten to the core.

A friend of my mine was dealing but because he had relatives working there, when he was caught, he was told to flush the drugs and never talk of it again
I assumed that teachers and assessors would easily catch onto such use of electronic watches.
They are explicitly marketed as having functions for things such as text messages, so would think the cheating application be obvious.
Not sure how viable it would be to use it to cheat though. Don't look very practical. Probably be easier to write a few important things between your fingers or something.
Original post by mscaffrey
It's not fair. That's why it's called cheating.

I doubt cheating watches are being used widely in the UK. Invigilators are pretty good at seeing when people are fiddling with things they shouldn't be fiddling with during exams, and now this is known people aren't going to get away with pressing buttons on watches.

I know it's not fair I was asking a rhetorical question. I have never seen those watches in my school so hearing about them for the first time. Just wish idiots who attempt to use these stupid watches get caught.

You want a D?! Worked my ass off in my first oral and luckily managed to scrape a B. If I got a D I would be resitting the oral. A* - C is a good place to be not a D.
Original post by Tinka99
You want a D?! Worked my ass off in my first oral and luckily managed to scrape a B. If I got a D I would be resitting the oral. A* - C is a good place to be not a D.

We weren't allowed to resit. A D would have got me enough to pass the GCSE. It doesn't matter now though: it was years ago.
We weren't allowed to resit. A D would have got me enough to pass the GCSE. It doesn't matter now though: it was years ago.

A pass is A*-G but you need A*-C and that is what most colleges and sixth forms want. I am in year 11 and we can resit orals as many times as we want. How can a D get you enough to pass the GCSE? You should be realistically aiming for least a C in all of your coursework and exams to have a decent overall grade.
Original post by Tinka99
A pass is A*-G but you need A*-C and that is what most colleges and sixth forms want. I am in year 11 and we can resit orals as many times as we want. How can a D get you enough to pass the GCSE? You should be realistically aiming for least a C in all of your coursework and exams to have a decent overall grade.

I mean an A*-C as a pass, considering an E-G is useless. Lucky you. We could resit something like half of the written controlled assessments once, but that was it. Off the top of my head I had an average of a B in the rest of my coursework and a D in the exam, which averages to a mid to low C.
they let use where watches but analogue only some some guys had brought nice watches like rolexes, omegas and tag heuers
Thanks for your replies everyone - my croaky early morning voice went out across Scotland during breakfast at 6.45am. It's a weird experience waking up and then immediately going live on radio, even before a coffee!

Anyway, thanks again, this really helped me be able to say that it's not the tip of a bigger iceberg and 'just ban watches in exam halls...'

Quick Reply

Latest