The Student Room Group

Choosing S6 Subjects- Advice please!

Hi guys, I'm in fifth year and I currently sit higher chemistry, biology, maths, English and music. I'm predicted 5As. My plan for 6th year is to take advanced higher chemistry and biology and crash higher physics! Instead of a 4th subject I was thinking of doing work experience during that time because that gives me a full Tuesday and Thursday afternoon for work experience as I'm worried about not getting enough! Does this combination sound okay? I am only planning on applying to Glasgow and Edinburgh vet school as the English ones are too expensive and far away!
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds good. The only thing I would say is that applying to only 2 vet schools is extremely risky. So you need to ask yourself if you're ready to take a gap year if they both reject you the first time you apply. If I was you I would also apply to RVC and Nottingham (They both require only 2 AH's instead of 3). Liverpool also accepts 2 AH's but you would need to get extra highers (Not sure how many, you would have to check on their website).
If you get into Gla/Edi the first time, that's great! You're in! If not, you might have an offer from the other 2 vet schools, and then the gap year is not forced down your throat and at least you get a choice.
It is not uncommon for applicants to be rejected from all 4 of their choices, so I really wouldn't risk applying to only 2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nessie162
Sounds good. The only thing I would say is that applying to only 2 vet schools is extremely risky. So you need to ask yourself if you're ready to take a gap year if they both reject you the first time you apply. If I was you I would also apply to RVC and Nottingham (They both require only 2 AH's instead of 3). Liverpool also accepts 2 AH's but you would need to get extra highers (Not sure how many, you would have to check on their website).
If you get into Gla/Edi the first time, that's great! You're in! If not, you might have an offer from the other 2 vet schools, and then the gap year is not forced down your throat and at least you get a choice.
It is not uncommon for applicants to be rejected from all 4 of their choices, so I really wouldn't risk applying to only 2.

Thank you for your reply! I'll definitely have a think about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Thank you for your reply! I'll definitely have a think about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, if you get 5 As at H then you only need AA in AH bio and chem for Liverpool and Notts, I'm not sure about the others but I strongly recommend you apply to at least a couple of other vet schools besides Glasgow and Edi. I'm a Scottish applicant too but even if you don't take up an offer from an English uni it may be another interview if you're lucky enough to get one and you can never have enough interview practice, and if you do decide to go down south then there are always loans and you'd apply to SAAS for the full amount so its definitely something to consider.
Going back to your original post I think the wex in school hours is a worthwhile decision- I do that this year 2x weekly and think its great to keep your hand in whilst applying and build up a good relationship with a practice, especially since you'll come to a point where you'll need one for EMS
Reply 4
Original post by Treen98
Hey, if you get 5 As at H then you only need AA in AH bio and chem for Liverpool and Notts, I'm not sure about the others but I strongly recommend you apply to at least a couple of other vet schools besides Glasgow and Edi. I'm a Scottish applicant too but even if you don't take up an offer from an English uni it may be another interview if you're lucky enough to get one and you can never have enough interview practice, and if you do decide to go down south then there are always loans and you'd apply to SAAS for the full amount so its definitely something to consider.
Going back to your original post I think the wex in school hours is a worthwhile decision- I do that this year 2x weekly and think its great to keep your hand in whilst applying and build up a good relationship with a practice, especially since you'll come to a point where you'll need one for EMS

Thanks treen! That's really helpful!
EDIT: was just having a look at your profile and saw you had done a day in a lab which I'm really struggling to find, would you be able to suggest any in Scotland that allow w/e students? Also for dairy experience what kind of things do you during that time as it's also something I haven't got yet but I'm a little worried about that one as I don't know what to expect to be doing! Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks treen! That's really helpful!
EDIT: was just having a look at your profile and saw you had done a day in a lab which I'm really struggling to find, would you be able to suggest any in Scotland that allow w/e students? Also for dairy experience what kind of things do you during that time as it's also something I haven't got yet but I'm a little worried about that one as I don't know what to expect to be doing! Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, I actually did my lab wex with Edinburgh uni in their biology labs, but if I had more time the one I would love to go to is SAC, my brother did years ago and I think it'd be really worthwhile once you've got the basics covered.
For dairy, I have a part time job on a dairy farm but you'll see the same stuff wherever you go: expect to be involved with the milking, feeding calves, maybe assisting at calving and definitely be ready for some hard graft! You'll be expected to muck out and bed pens with straw/sawdust, possibly fill water troughs etc. so make sure you've go some half decent wellies, I would think you'll be provided with a parlour top but buy yourself a set of waterproofs, I wear flexothanes which are not too bad, and they'll be great for lambing experience too if you have still to go. Don't be worried about WEX though, you won't be expected to know a lot yet, just enthusiastic and ready to work hard :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Treen98
No problem, I actually did my lab wex with Edinburgh uni in their biology labs, but if I had more time the one I would love to go to is SAC, my brother did years ago and I think it'd be really worthwhile once you've got the basics covered.
For dairy, I have a part time job on a dairy farm but you'll see the same stuff wherever you go: expect to be involved with the milking, feeding calves, maybe assisting at calving and definitely be ready for some hard graft! You'll be expected to muck out and bed pens with straw/sawdust, possibly fill water troughs etc. so make sure you've go some half decent wellies, I would think you'll be provided with a parlour top but buy yourself a set of waterproofs, I wear flexothanes which are not too bad, and they'll be great for lambing experience too if you have still to go. Don't be worried about WEX though, you won't be expected to know a lot yet, just enthusiastic and ready to work hard :biggrin:

Ahhhh okay thanks I'll have a look at that lab! I have done lambing last year and have a week planned this year which I'm very excited about! I'll definitely try and get some dairy sorted soon then! ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ahhhh okay thanks I'll have a look at that lab! I have done lambing last year and have a week planned this year which I'm very excited about! I'll definitely try and get some dairy sorted soon then! ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feel free to PM me with any other Q's you have if I can help 😊 out of interest do you do Reach with Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Treen98
Feel free to PM me with any other Q's you have if I can help 😊 out of interest do you do Reach with Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! 😊 yeah I'm in the Glasgow reach! Were/are you in either?☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks a lot! 😊 yeah I'm in the Glasgow reach! Were/are you in either?☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I was in Glasgow too! Its the best one cause you get marginally reduced entry for H if your results aren't as good as expected (like mine :colondollar: ) are you going to Reach week in June? Its sooo good, everyone is really helpful and they're all so nice :biggrin:. Keep with it by the way because once you apply they have an interview prep workshop in October/November I think, but the s5 week is definitely the best especially as you get to spend it at the vet school which you can't view on open days and you get to do practical stuff too.
Original post by Treen98
Yes I was in Glasgow too! Its the best one cause you get marginally reduced entry for H if your results aren't as good as expected (like mine :colondollar: ) are you going to Reach week in June? Its sooo good, everyone is really helpful and they're all so nice :biggrin:. Keep with it by the way because once you apply they have an interview prep workshop in October/November I think, but the s5 week is definitely the best especially as you get to spend it at the vet school which you can't view on open days and you get to do practical stuff too.

Yeah I can't wait for the campus week!! ☺️ how's the application process been? Have you got any offers yet? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I can't wait for the campus week!! ☺️ how's the application process been? Have you got any offers yet? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stressful, but I've got offers for Liverpool and Nottingham and I'm waiting to hear from Glasgow post-interview this month; I also applied to Surrey but got a rejection pre-interview
Original post by Treen98
Stressful, but I've got offers for Liverpool and Nottingham and I'm waiting to hear from Glasgow post-interview this month; I also applied to Surrey but got a rejection pre-interview

Congrats on your offers!! Good luck with Glasgow! What would be your first choice? 😬😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on your offers!! Good luck with Glasgow! What would be your first choice? 😬😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks 😁 I guess Glasgow if I get an offer but I was a little put off after my interview didn't go so well and the other two universities look really great too; the only problem is the fees

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending