is that a greengrocer's ?

:holmes:
Original post by cpaige21
how much you get paid?

£6.76/hour
Original post by the bear
is that a greengrocer's ?

:holmes:

Yep and we only stock quintessentially British fruit and veg.
Reply 5
Do you think Donald Trump irons his wigs?
Reply 6
Original post by flutterby-x303
£6.76/hour

Well that's a lot worse than what I thought!
Yep and we only stock quintessentially British fruit and veg.

that's nice. could you get me half a pound of cox ?
Well that's a lot worse than what I thought!

What did you think? I'm only a sales assistant. It goes up if you are a supervisor and then managers have an annual salary.
What's a day like for you? Is your particular store busy?

One of our stores is in a really quiet shopping mall in the corner so I'd imagine it doesn't get much attention!
What kind of discount do you get?
...And do you wear the brand even outside of work?
What did you think? I'm only a sales assistant. It goes up if you are a supervisor and then managers have an annual salary.

I work at m&s as a sales assistant and they pay £7.28. Just assumed you'd get paid more
I work at m&s as a sales assistant and they pay £7.28. Just assumed you'd get paid more

Hmm marks is a bigger company (and I have heard a fantastic one to work for) so maybe it's to do with that?

Original post by Tank Girl
What kind of discount do you get?
...And do you wear the brand even outside of work?

We get one free top and bottom each season and that counts as part of our uniform. We also get 70% off four other items that we wear as uniform. It can be more items depending how many hours you work and your position etc. But only items you get as free or 70% can be work as uniform. The things you can get on your personal allowance (£250 each season) that is discounted at either 60% or 30% depending on what it is, you are not allowed to wear as uniform.
Also only certain items are on the free looks and 70% off list. There is quite a bit to chose from though.
I do wear the brand outside of work purely because I like the clothes but also because I get things for my uniform I always have it in my wardrobe and because we get a good personal discount.

Original post by MountKimbie
What's a day like for you? Is your particular store busy?

One of our stores is in a really quiet shopping mall in the corner so I'd imagine it doesn't get much attention!

The store I work in is in the middle of a lively city. On weekdays it's not too busy at all, the most you may get is say 7 customers over the two floors. There are moments when we don't have any customers. Weekends are busier as expected especially around the sale. Normally there are around 30 - 40 customers over the two floors on a weekend but again it can be less.

A typical day would be arriving, getting briefed by the manager or supervisor on the daily target and anything else we need to know. Then it's a case of being placed somewhere so either on the shop floor (our womenswear is downstairs with the main till and men's upstairs) so generally there has to be at least one person downstairs. If customers go upstairs we can use the walkytalky to ask another employee to cover men's.
When you are on the shop floor (front of house) it's a case of going up and asking if customers need assistance. Then folding clothes and making sure everything is neat and size ordered and that we have enough of each size. Folded items also need to be size stickered. All items should be board folded as well which means they all look the same.
Then if anyone goes up to the till you obviously have to deal with the transaction. The tills are touch screen and quite easy to use.
Occasionally customers need to do refunds and that can include online orders which are a tad tricker. You may also get customers come in to collect an order so you normally radio up and ask someone to bring it down or you do it yourself if you have another person downstairs with you.
Collecting an order involves going back of house to the office where there are boxes labelled alphabetically by surname and you have to scan it out on the computer then just bring it down.
You may also have to process delivery and feed it away which means you are in a room with sacks full of new stock and you have to open each parcel and remove any tissue then put a security tag on and fold it to be put into the stock rooms. You can listen to music while doing this!
When feeding things into the stock room you have to make sure all items have a set place and the label is sticking out so its easy to find a certain size and style if a customer requires it.
Doing delivery and feeding it away is something one typically does in the morning and evening when the store is shut but we normally have enough people working that it's a daily task too.
You might also have to do a radio replen which I love it's basically where two people have radios, one stays on the shop floor and the other goes into the stock room. The one on the floor reads out any items we need, it's usually when certain sizes and lacking.
A typical closing down activity after the clothes are looking neat and all the delivery is processed and fed away is to finger space the hangers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do they have a policy of only hiring pretty people?
Original post by Blondie987
Do they have a policy of only hiring pretty people?

No I shouldn't think so. I do work with some attractive looking girls and guys but not everyone looks like the models in the handbook if that's what you mean. You just have to be passionate about the brand!
How did you get hired/what was the interview like?
Original post by likewildfires
How did you get hired/what was the interview like?

So on the JW website they have a careers section and on there it mentions all the stores that are looking to hire people and the positions. I saw that my local store was looking for a part time sales associate and so I emailed my cv and cover letter.

I applied a year and a bit before, got an interview but no further due to lack of experience however since then I worked in Harrods as a temp plus other customer service based jobs so I felt confident reapplying.

Most stores I think offer an evening group interview but mine was a one on one with the manager. Having interviewed before I sort of knew what to expect but I brushed up on a few things like past experience and how that may help me work in JW.

The questions were easier than the first time and the manager had a sheet with questions on it that the company send to help the process. The questions were mainly based around my past experience and what qualities I could bring. She asked what kind of manager I would like to work for and who the main competitors were. It's helpful to look up stuff like brand values and the fact that all techniques and materials are sourced in Britain.

Last time I was given a jumper and told to sell it to the manager interviewing me but there was nothing like that this time! But in general the interviews are so chilled like the managers are really young and easy to talk to.

Then I was asked about my availability and was then emailed to say I had the job! Apparently there were three of us all going for jobs and they liked us all so we all got jobs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending