The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

;don't call it a diet ,call it a new healthy eating plan! diet implies its not sustainable.
bansheeee*
;don't call it a diet ,call it a new healthy eating plan! diet implies its not sustainable.

at slimming world we call it 'food optimising' lol
bansheeee*
I'll let you in ona secret! ..

when i was anorexic (probably not the best person to get diet advice from!!) i lost three stone ,by just giving up eating any fried food ,basically i gave up eating chips completely (i became a vegan soon after) ...and the weight dropped off!,

I went on a raw food diet myself, may work for some but I dropped a LOT of weight in three months.

Not a completely bad idea, I got to try many new fruits and vegetables I never had. :smile:

I try to make a habit of eating mostly non-processed foods, and if I'm having a big meal, I'll balance it out with lighter ones.

My last tip, I'm a snob! :smile: If I'm going to eat meat or something high fat I make it the best I can get so I really enjoy it and it's something special.
Reply 323
butternut squash makes really good wedge style chips & they are nowhere near as bad as your average friend chips. although, even just switching to oven baking chips makes them healthier. i also switched everything to wholemeal (pasta,bread,rice) and switched potatoes to sweet potatoes and noticed a decrease in bloating... its good cos you still get the full feeling that carbs give you without the dreaded water retention
Bump
Chorizo and Chickpea stew

I invented this after seeing Tommi Miers wonderful C4 show about spanish food. Serves 3 but you can easily add more ingredients to bulk it out. It's also nice if you substitute the chickpeas for pasta. You can also cook it less if you're in a hurry - there are no raw ingredients - but the longer cooking time encourages the flavours to mingle.

Serves 3, prep time 5 mins, cooking time 10 mins

Ingredients:

Smoked Paprika
Tabasco
Chorizo - as much or as little as you like, I usually use about 1/4 sausage) chopped
1 tin chickpeas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Onion chutney
1 garlic clove, minced or finely chopped

Method

Fry the garlic and Chorizo until the Chorizo has strated to go a little chrispy around the edges then add the chickpeas and tomatoes. Stir in 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 3/4 drops of tabasco and 1 dsp onion chutney. Simmer for 10 minutes then serve with crusty bread.

Delicious, tasty and cheap :yep:
Reply 326
Ranetki

I first made this warm punch when I was at university, experimenting with vodka to make it more drinkable without incorporating it into standard cocktails, with a desire to have something special for the 21st birthday of one of my housemates. Everyone at the party loved it and a number of people asked for the recipe. The name comes from the Russian for a small apple, and is a bit of a joke because two of the main ingredients are vodka and apple juice.

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 40 minutes (including 'resting' time)

Ingredients
700ml vodka
1.5l-2l apple juice (depending on how strong you want the drink. Personally I'm not too keen on the taste of vodka, so I tend to go with around 1.8l whenever I make it)
1 apple
Lots of cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2tbsp honey

Method
Stud the top of the apple with cloves. The cloves should cover at least half of the apple.
In a large saucepan, pour in the vodka and apple juice.
Add the apple (cloves-side down) and cinnamon, and stir in some honey as well.
Turn up the heat and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Leave for a further 10-15 minutes for the cinnamon and cloves to infuse the drink.
Remove the apple and cinnamon stick (and any cloves that fell out of the apple :p:)
Leave the drink for another 15 minutes or so and then serve
Reply 327
I would be really grateful for more low-fat recipes as I am having to cut out as much fat from my diet as possible to reduce gallstone attacks.
Well, this one isn't exactly a low-fat option. It relies on my best friend in the kitchen - the slow-cooker. Lamb in red wine, which I've altered a little bit since I had it a few years ago in Dublin.

Firstly, you'll need a joint of lamb. A shoulder is probably about right, but it'll work with anything that you consider to be a 'tough' joint. Throw in half a bottle of red wine (doesn't have to be a particularly fancy vintage, it's just there to give the winey flavour and colour). Crush some garlic and sling it in there, along with some onions that have been fried really slowly in butter (and I'm aware that the Italians wouldn't do garlic and onion at the same time). Slow cook the whole pot for a day, go and do what you do in that time and come back to it. Sieve the cooking juices into a saucepan and add a teaspoon of cornflour which has been dissolved in *cold* water (to thicken). Boil the sauce (or ju to the poncy) until it is nice and glossy (a bit of butter will help to make it velvety, but only add it once you've taken it off the heat for good).

Serve the whole thing with some crispy roast potatoes, some steamed carrots and some steamed broccoli. And that adds up to my favourite main course.
Reply 329
Entangled
Well, this one isn't exactly a low-fat option. It relies on my best friend in the kitchen - the slow-cooker. Lamb in red wine, which I've altered a little bit since I had it a few years ago in Dublin.

Firstly, you'll need a joint of lamb. A shoulder is probably about right, but it'll work with anything that you consider to be a 'tough' joint. Throw in half a bottle of red wine (doesn't have to be a particularly fancy vintage, it's just there to give the winey flavour and colour). Crush some garlic and sling it in there, along with some onions that have been fried really slowly in butter (and I'm aware that the Italians wouldn't do garlic and onion at the same time). Slow cook the whole pot for a day, go and do what you do in that time and come back to it. Sieve the cooking juices into a saucepan and add a teaspoon of cornflour which has been dissolved in *cold* water (to thicken). Boil the sauce (or ju to the poncy) until it is nice and glossy (a bit of butter will help to make it velvety, but only add it once you've taken it off the heat for good).

Serve the whole thing with some crispy roast potatoes, some steamed carrots and some steamed broccoli. And that adds up to my favourite main course.

Because lamb is a fatty meat, when you boil the juices there is no need to add cornflour. Put the juices in a pan and turn on high heat on a rapid boil. Reduce by about a 1/4. The gelatin that was in the lamb will help thicken the sauce.

The advantage of not addingt cornflour is that you will get the full flavour of the sauce. Adding cornflour may make it taste a bit starchy.

Enjoy:yes:
GQ.
The advantage of not addingt cornflour is that you will get the full flavour of the sauce. Adding cornflour may make it taste a bit starchy.

Cormflour is added in such diminuitive quantities that a starchy flavour is unlikely given the punchy flavours involved in the dish (especially if there is an addition of butter). I find that some sauces don't quite get to the spot-on consistency without the addition of a good short pinch of cornflour, however, if the floury note concerns you, arrowroot is always a viable option.

It boils down (hah) to personal preference. I, myself, am not too concerned by any drawback of cornflour - things aren't that delicate in the above dish.
Reply 331
Entangled
Cormflour is added in such diminuitive quantities that a starchy flavour is unlikely given the punchy flavours involved in the dish (especially if there is an addition of butter). I find that some sauces don't quite get to the spot-on consistency without the addition of a good short pinch of cornflour, however, if the floury note concerns you, arrowroot is always a viable option.

It boils down (hah) to personal preference. I, myself, am not too concerned by any drawback of cornflour - things aren't that delicate in the above dish.

Just trying to help from my experience. Cornflour is a cheat method tbh.
http://www.vegancampaigns.org.uk/resources/recipes/swBanofeePie.html

I made this the other day but with the variation used below for the base.

A vegan banoffee pie! I also added extra soya milk to the toffee and condensed it for a while.

It was incredible!
Reply 334
I'm embarking on my first stew tonight (I figure I might as well get as much cooking practice in as possible before moving out :biggrin:)
It's going to contain the following:
2 cups of cider
2 chopped apples
1 large stewing steak
1 sweet potato
1 butternut squash
1 onion
1 parsnip

I don't know how this is going to go yet, but will post how it goes later :biggrin: Wish me luck!
Reply 335
Home made cranberry sauce!! From a bbc website I think (measurements are what I used)
Rough proportions....

300g cranberries

100g muscavado sugar (light) - depends how sweet you like it. Could easily be a bit less

9tbsp port

clementine juice (about 3 worth)
The Bogota Concoction

So named due to the fact that it's creator hails from Bogota (friend of mine:yep:), this sweet cocktail is a must-try for any martini lover. Very simple ingredients and steps make for a wonderful party drink.

Ingredients:
- Summer fruits squash (preferably Robinsons, but Tesco or Kia Ora will do)
- Apple and elderflower juice
- Martini
- Crushed ice

Recipe:
- Get a cocktail shaker and pour in 1 part summer fruits squash, 1 part apple and elderflower juice and 1 and a half part martini
- Shake it like Metro Station would do
- Fill any glass with some crushed ice (any amount)
- Pour the concoction over the ice
- Drink :cool:
Duck and Bacon Salad

(The best meal you will ever eat)

Range of Salad Leaves that you like into a bowl.
Tiny amount of salad dressing that you like onto it.
Shred some duck thats cooked.
Fry some bacon and chop them up into little bits. (Make sure theres lots of both)
Get loads of sticks of spring onion.
drizzle however much hoi sin sauce you like on top

VOILA you have just made heaven!
Onion rissotto with spiced onion rings:

Peel and finely chop one spanish onion and lightly fry in oil and a tiny bit of butter. Once browned, add a splash of white wine

Add rissotto rice (exact measurement is useless, but I rough guide would be one good handful per person) and cook until the rice begins to stick and glistens.

Add stock (chicken or vegetable, not beef or any other brown meat) gradually for the next 15-20 minutes. Only add more stock until the previous ladel of stock has reduced into the rissotto.

Whilst all that's going on, heat a large amount of groundnut or any other flavourless oil in either a chip fryer or any decent sized pan (not a shallow frying pan). Try and get the oil to 190 degrees but if you can't gauge the temperature, just drop in some of the batter and if it comes straight back up to the top of the oil and sizzles, the oil is hot enough.

Slice one large white onion into onion rings, as thick as you like. To make the batter, mix together 4 heaped tablespoons of plain flour, 8 tablespoons of water (less if you want a really thick batter) and one egg. Add onions and season with salt, black pepper and a pinch of chilli powder.

Once rissotto nears completion, i.e, the rice is cooked and creamy, add onions to the hot oil and fry until golden brown.

Now add parmesan cheese to the rissotto if you've got it/can be bothered (personally I think it changes the texture of the dish for the better but each to their own). Season with pepper and if you haven't added cheese, salt.

Put rissotto onto a plate/bowl/hand and put onion rings on top.

Such a simple dish, using two pans but it's impressive and fun (onion rings) at the same time. A good one for uni, not expensive either, one pack of rissotto rice goes a long way.
Reply 339
- Microwave crumpets for a minute on full power.
- Top with Port Salut cheese and piri-piri spices.
- Grill for a couple of minutes.
- DONE.

Quick Reply

Latest