The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Rimipie
mmmmm i wish i had a cook to make that for me, knowing my luck they'll be soggy and crap

I'm sure they'd turn out ok, they're such great cookies, it would be hard to mess them up!
Thanks. :smile: I might try it or get my mum to try it one day. :ahee:

You should post this in the sticky recipe thread in the Food and Drink forum. :yep:
Reply 362
Scotch egg wrapped in a slice of Dairylea cheese
Breakfast Smoothie (click for pic)
Relatively quick, yummy, and nutritious breakfast; this makes enough for 1 as a breakfast (in a pint glass), or 2 as a drink.
400ml milk
3 tbsp oats (flavoured if you like - I used half a sachet of PawRidge honey oats)
1 banana
Handful of raspberries
Optional: 3 tbsp vanilla ice-cream
Pour the milk into a pyrex jug.
Add the oats, and heat in the microwave for 1 minute, or longer if you want a hot smoothie. Stir.
Add the banana, raspberries, and ice-cream if using.
Blend with a hand-blender, then pour into a glass
^ sounds lovely! Really, might try that after my next shop! :smile:

I looked at the list and I can't believe Lasagne isn't added! :O now, people may be thinking 'omg it's so hard to make' shh. It really isn't!

Ingredients:
Regular packet of beef mince
dolmio lasagne sauce
dolmio white lasagne sauce
dry lasagne sheets
grated cheese
Any veg you want to add (I usually add mushrooms and carrots!)
Some oil (really just a TINY bit of oil) for the frying

The amount of ingredients you use really does depend on what you like.

Utensils needed
Knife for veg (if adding any veg)
1 large frying pan
1 pot/small pan for veg
1 oven-proof dish
Chopping board (for veg if adding)
Wooden spoon for serving

Method without veg
First add a tablespoon of oil to a pan on a medium-high heat
Add the mince beef to the pan and keep stirring until brown
Once mince is brown, add the red lasagne sauce and stir until all the mince is covered
With your oven-proof dish, add roughly a third of the mince & sauce and spread it over.
Take your lasagne sheets and make sure all the mince & sauce is covered. You can break the sheets if you need to.
Again, use another third of the mince & sauce and spread over.
Repeat with the lasagne sheets then take your white sauce and use half of the white lasagne sauce and spread this over the lasagne sheets.
Put the remainder of the meat & sauce mixture over the white sauce.
With the other half of the white sauce, pour this over the meat and then with the grated cheese, sprinkle this over the top. Make sure it is covered with cheese.
Then put the oven-proof dish into the oven at a high temperature/setting.

Leave for roughly half an hour then come back and test it. To do this, put a knife or a fork in the middle. If you can hear the sheets crunching, it is not ready. The sign that the lasagne is ready is when you put the fork/knife through the middle, it should go all the way to the bottom with ease.

This can be frozen so you will have a lovely home-made lasagne for weeks! Usually gives you about 4 servings depending on the size of the dish/amount of ingredients you are using!

Method with veg:
Brown the mince as above then take off the heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pot/small pan and set aside.
No matter what veg you are using, you don't want chunks in lasagne. For mushrooms, I usually give them a wash, take of the stalk and then slice the mushroom. For carrots, I'd give it a wash and then grate the carrots.
About half an inch is roughly the size you're wanting for the veg.
Add these to the small pan/pot (leave the carrots if you're grating them) and cook for roughly 5-6 minutes.
Once cooked, add the veg to the brown mince and give it a good mixing. Then add the red lasagne sauce and mix it well. Continue as above.

Obviously you can change things a little. You can have this vegetarian by only adding vegetables. You can have a chicken lasagne by cutting chicken breasts about half inch pieces and continue the same as above. This is a great dish if you're wanting to impress or if you want a dish to give you more than one meal out of! Enjoy! :smile:
Cheesy crispy chicken:

Crush a packet of plain crisps and and put into a bowl.
Mix some grated cheese with the crushed crisps so you have half crisps and half cheese.
Add a few pinches of mixed herbs.
Put the mixture on top of a chicken breast.
Cook in the oven and serve with chips.
Reply 367
mushroom and spinach tagliatelle (sp?)

Ingredients:
onions
mushrooms
tagliatelle
spinach
creme fraiche
(dont know exact quantities I just made enough for myself like 1/2 onion, 3 or 4 mushrooms, 1/4 of 250g pack of tag, 80g spinach)

Method:
If your using normal tagliatelle that takes 10/12 mins then do that first following packet instructions.
chop onions, fry onions in oil for about 5 mins
add chopped mushrooms
(if your using fresh egg tagliatelle then put on now as only takes 3 mins)
add spinach to mushrooms and onions
once tagliatelle is done drain and add to frying pan
stir in creme fraiche

done :smile: also nice with smoked salmon
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 368
Original post by brokenangel27

thankyou so much for this i was looking for an easy lasagne recipe! Will try it out soon
Reply 369
Original post by clo89
mushroom and spinach tagliatelle (sp?)

Ingredients:
onions
mushrooms
tagliatelle
spinach
creme fraiche
(sorry dont know the quantities I just made enough for myself)

Method:
If your using normal tagliatelle that takes 10/12 mins then do that first following packet instructions.
chop onions, fry onions in oil for about 5 mins
add chopped mushrooms
(if your using fresh egg tagliatelle then put on now as only takes 3 mins)
add spinach to mushrooms and onions
once tagliatelle is done drain and add to frying pan
stir in creme fraiche

done :smile: also nice with smoked salmon

Sounds pretty amazing!

I do wish you were a little more specific about time though :tongue:
Reply 370
thanks for your sharing ....
Reply 371
Original post by OnlyMe!
Sounds pretty amazing!

oops sorry! first time ive posted in this thread :smile: basically all together takes about 10 minutes...
Original post by OnlyMe!
Sounds pretty amazing!

Pasta normally has cooking instructions on its packaging; you need to cook it in salted water. (boiling before the pasta's added so it doesn't stick to itself.) It needs to cook until it's soft (refer to packet!) - you can always try a piece to test it.

Onions go in oil and fry until soft and slightly browned. Mushrooms release some of their water content and become firmer when they're cooked. They'll darken too. Spinach wilts during its cooking process. I'm not giving specific timings because it depends on the heat you put it on because I improvise; I just put it on high and if it spits at me I turn it down a bit :tongue:

Experiment! :tongue:
Today I made seared scallops on minted pea purée with pancetta. A far cry from the usual pot noodle or pre-packed pasta.....Michel Roux jr would be proud,
I take it we can't post recipes from student cookbooks? :colondollar: (Even though it has been my Bible ever since I bought it).

I hope some people will post pics of their creations. :moon:
Reply 375
I seen that there was already a lasagne but i thought i would post my lasagne recipe aswell, one of my favourites :colondollar:

To the above poster, i will post a pic up the next time i make it, i think it is a great idea to see peoples cooking skills!

Lasagne

Ingredients

For the bolognese
2 x 500g Dolmio Extra Spicy Lasagna Sauce (regular also works)
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes (Napolina preferred, princess also work!)
1 tbsp tomato puree (Napolina Preferred)
6 - 7 regular sized mushrooms (sliced)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
2lb of mince
1 Onion (chopped)

For the white sauce
2 tbsp plain flour
Butter
Milk

Misc
Pasta Sheets (Napolina Preferred)(Steep in the sink in warm water to soften)
Grated Cheese (i use mature cheddar)
Mixed Herbs (optional)
Cracked Black Pepper (optional)

Start by making the bolognese sauce

1. Add the mince to a large pan and brown the mince.

2. Once the mince is completely browned, add the onion, mushrooms, red pepper, green pepper, mixed herbs and cracked black pepper to the pan and simmer over a low heat until the vegetables get tender (this usually takes about 10 mins).

3. Add the tomato puree to the pan and stir it all together.

4. Add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes to the pan and stir it all together.

5. Add the 2 bottles of dolmio sauce to the mixture, stir it all together and simmer over a low heat while you prepare the rest.

Making the white sauce

Info : The "white sauce" is also famously known as bachamel sauce. This is the hardest part of the lasagne to make and if you don't feel confident enough to make it, there is the optional method of replacing it with dolmio or ragu white lasagne sauce but i think it tastes much better making it yourself.

1. Add a large knob of butter to a pan and melt it.

2. Add your 2 table spoons of flour to the melted butter and stir it in. It will turn into a dough, don't worry about this!

3. Quickly pour in some milk and start mixing it in before the "dough" sticks to the pan. There is no exact amount of milk to use but you just keep pouring it and stirring it until the sauce thickens without lumps. I find that it is easier to use a hand whisk for this.

Putting it all together

Now that you have all of your sauces made, it is now time to make your lasagne!

Preheat your oven to 180 oC

1. Spread a layer of your bolognese sauce along the bottom of your lasagne dish.

2. Add a layer of your pasta sheets along the top of the sauce (the ammount of lasagne sheets depends on the size of your dish, mine takes 4 per layer)

3. Add a layer of the white sauce on top of the pasta sheets

4. Repeat step 1

5. Repeat step 2

6. Repeat step 3.

7. Spread your grated cheese over your lasagne.

8. Place lasagne into the oven and cook for approximately 25 - 30 mins, until the top is golden brown.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by brokenangel27
^ sounds lovely! Really, might try that after my next shop! :smile:

I looked at the list and I can't believe Lasagne isn't added! :O now, people may be thinking 'omg it's so hard to make' shh. It really isn't!

Ingredients:
Regular packet of beef mince
dolmio lasagne sauce
dolmio white lasagne sauce
dry lasagne sheets
grated cheese
Any veg you want to add (I usually add mushrooms and carrots!)
Some oil (really just a TINY bit of oil) for the frying

The amount of ingredients you use really does depend on what you like.

Utensils needed
Knife for veg (if adding any veg)
1 large frying pan
1 pot/small pan for veg
1 oven-proof dish
Chopping board (for veg if adding)
Wooden spoon for serving

Method without veg
First add a tablespoon of oil to a pan on a medium-high heat
Add the mince beef to the pan and keep stirring until brown
Once mince is brown, add the red lasagne sauce and stir until all the mince is covered
With your oven-proof dish, add roughly a third of the mince & sauce and spread it over.
Take your lasagne sheets and make sure all the mince & sauce is covered. You can break the sheets if you need to.
Again, use another third of the mince & sauce and spread over.
Repeat with the lasagne sheets then take your white sauce and use half of the white lasagne sauce and spread this over the lasagne sheets.
Put the remainder of the meat & sauce mixture over the white sauce.
With the other half of the white sauce, pour this over the meat and then with the grated cheese, sprinkle this over the top. Make sure it is covered with cheese.
Then put the oven-proof dish into the oven at a high temperature/setting.

Leave for roughly half an hour then come back and test it. To do this, put a knife or a fork in the middle. If you can hear the sheets crunching, it is not ready. The sign that the lasagne is ready is when you put the fork/knife through the middle, it should go all the way to the bottom with ease.

This can be frozen so you will have a lovely home-made lasagne for weeks! Usually gives you about 4 servings depending on the size of the dish/amount of ingredients you are using!

Method with veg:
Brown the mince as above then take off the heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pot/small pan and set aside.
No matter what veg you are using, you don't want chunks in lasagne. For mushrooms, I usually give them a wash, take of the stalk and then slice the mushroom. For carrots, I'd give it a wash and then grate the carrots.
About half an inch is roughly the size you're wanting for the veg.
Add these to the small pan/pot (leave the carrots if you're grating them) and cook for roughly 5-6 minutes.
Once cooked, add the veg to the brown mince and give it a good mixing. Then add the red lasagne sauce and mix it well. Continue as above.

Obviously you can change things a little. You can have this vegetarian by only adding vegetables. You can have a chicken lasagne by cutting chicken breasts about half inch pieces and continue the same as above. This is a great dish if you're wanting to impress or if you want a dish to give you more than one meal out of! Enjoy! :smile:

Thanks so much for this! It doesn't sound too complicated I will definately try it out one weekend very soon :biggrin:
Reply 377
Original post by Anazoth
I seen that there was already a lasagne but i thought i would post my lasagne recipe aswell, one of my favourites :colondollar:

To the above poster, i will post a pic up the next time i make it, i think it is a great idea to see peoples cooking skills!

Lasagne

Ingredients

For the bolognese
2 x 500g Dolmio Extra Spicy Lasagna Sauce (regular also works)
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes (Napolina preferred, princess also work!)
1 tbsp tomato puree (Napolina Preferred)
6 - 7 regular sized mushrooms (sliced)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
2lb of mince
1 Onion (chopped)

For the white sauce
2 tbsp plain flour
Butter
Milk

Misc
Pasta Sheets (Napolina Preferred)(Steep in the sink in warm water to soften)
Grated Cheese (i use mature cheddar)
Mixed Herbs (optional)
Cracked Black Pepper (optional)

Start by making the bolognese sauce

1. Add the mince to a large pan and brown the mince.

2. Once the mince is completely browned, add the onion, mushrooms, red pepper, green pepper, mixed herbs and cracked black pepper to the pan and simmer over a low heat until the vegetables get tender (this usually takes about 10 mins).

3. Add the tomato puree to the pan and stir it all together.

4. Add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes to the pan and stir it all together.

5. Add the 2 bottles of dolmio sauce to the mixture, stir it all together and simmer over a low heat while you prepare the rest.

Making the white sauce

Info : The "white sauce" is also famously known as bachamel sauce. This is the hardest part of the lasagne to make and if you don't feel confident enough to make it, there is the optional method of replacing it with dolmio or ragu white lasagne sauce but i think it tastes much better making it yourself.

1. Add a large knob of butter to a pan and melt it.

2. Add your 2 table spoons of flour to the melted butter and stir it in. It will turn into a dough, don't worry about this!

3. Quickly pour in some milk and start mixing it in before the "dough" sticks to the pan. There is no exact amount of milk to use but you just keep pouring it and stirring it until the sauce thickens without lumps. I find that it is easier to use a hand whisk for this.

Putting it all together

Now that you have all of your sauces made, it is now time to make your lasagne!

Preheat your oven to 180 oC

1. Spread a layer of your bolognese sauce along the bottom of your lasagne dish.

2. Add a layer of your pasta sheets along the top of the sauce (the ammount of lasagne sheets depends on the size of your dish, mine takes 4 per layer)

3. Add a layer of the white sauce on top of the pasta sheets

4. Repeat step 1

5. Repeat step 2

6. Repeat step 3.

7. Spread your grated cheese over your lasagne.

8. Place lasagne into the oven and cook for approximately 25 - 30 mins, until the top is golden brown.

I make mine similarly to yours! cept i use more chopped tomatoes and no dolmio sauce! Also I didn't think of the peppers, will do that next time.
Lasagna is actually quite cheap if you get the meat on offer and making this amount lasts ages!
Reply 378
I do not understand why you would go through the effort of making your white sauce but buy the bol sauce? Baffling. I prefer a tin of chopped toms, tom puree, herbs, garlic and onions and a splash of wine.
Reply 379
The most gorgeous apple cake of mine that I accidentally made! http://notecook.com/bread/make-easy-bake-apple-cake-recipe/

(I can't be bothered to write it out again and for some reason it wont allow me to copy and paste :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest