3oz/75g soft butter
3oz/75g soft margarine
7oz/175g caster sugar
8oz/200g plain flour
1 level tsp baking powder
4 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs

Cream the margarine and butter together until they look like mayonnais. Add the sugar a tableespoonful at a time beating it in after eacch addition - the mixture will get lighter in colour and become slightly fluffy. Beat the vanilla essence into the mixture. Whisk the eggs to blend the yolks and whites. Beat in the eggs a spoonful at a time. Sift thee baking powder and flour together. Stir the flour into the mixture in three portions alternately with the hot water.

To Bake: Use an 8-inch loose bottomed cake tin (3 inch deep) or a 9-10inch oiled ring tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes at gas mark 4/350F/180C. Reduce the heat for a further to gas mark 3/325F/170C for 15 minutes if necessary.

To test whether done: Open oven gently and press the centre of cake with tip of finger (not to long or hard cos you'll braek the cake and burn yourself :smile: ) If it is ready the cake will spring back into shape immediately. If it is not done then the finger will leave a faint impression. DO NOT keep opening the oven to check. If you open the oven door while it's cooking it will sink and turn into a big soggy biscuit.

When the cake is cooked: Remove it from the oven, leave it for 5 minutes. Remove it from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.

Variations

Marble cake
Use half the mixture to start filling the tin ddropping it in spoonfuls with gaps inbetween to leave room for the chocolate half. With the secon half of the cakee mixture, add a level tablespoonful of cocoa aand 4 level tablespoonfuls of drinking chocolate. Stir it all in until the mixture has a constant colour throughout. Drop this mixture into the gaps lefft in the cake tin. gently smooth over the top of the cake.

Sultana cake
Omit the vanilla essence and beat in the rind/zest of half a lemon. Put 200g/(1/2)Ib of sultanas in boiling water ffor 5 minutes. Then drain and dab dry with a tea-towwel. Stir into the cake with the flour.

Madiera cake
Cook in a 7-inch cake tin. Keep the recipe as in thee basic mixture. After half an hour cooking time, open the oven and lay a 3-inch long sliver of candied orange or lemon peel over the cake and close the oven door again

Other variations
This recipe works well if you want to improvise with other flavourings. I will put up ssome more cake reeccipes later. Make sure you keep the sugar.egg/fat content the same (baking cakes is jusst like chemistry - you need the right amount of certain basic ingredients)

Icing
If you don't want to ice these cakes then paint the top of cake with milk and scatter a thin layer of caster sugar. If people want I can put up somee icing/topping reccipes up.

MB

yum yum!!

I am definitely going to make marble cake!! Can I use all cocoa instead of cocoa and drinking chocolate??
yes please mb please give us some icing recipes!!

:biggrin:
ruthiepoothie
yum yum!!

I am definitely going to make marble cake!! Can I use all cocoa instead of cocoa and drinking chocolate??

I wouldn't it would become more crumbly and quite bitter.

MB
musicboy
I wouldn't it would become more crumbly and quite bitter.

MB

oh, ok :smile:
ruthiepoothie
yes please mb please give us some icing recipes!!

:biggrin:

Glace icing

Ingredients
8 oz/200g sifted icing sugar
2-2.5 tbsp water
squeeze off lemon juice

Put icing sugar in a ssamall sauccepan (enamel lined if possible as alumininium may turn icing slightly grey - not that you'd notice much). Add lemon juice and water. Beat well with a wooden spoon over very gentle heat. be really careful with heat because too much will make the icing crack or dull on the cake. The bottom of the pan should neeveer be too hot to touch with fingers (this is a bit tricky). To test consistency dip a wooden spoon into it - the icing should thickly coat it beffore running off. If it is too thick then add an extra 0.5tbsp of water. and reheat again. Remember it is better to have a thick icing than a thick one.

To ice the cake: get the cake andd standd it on a plate, Pour the icing over the top helping it to spread wwith a a pallette knife where needed. Add some decoration of nuts/glace fruit/ chocolate chips etc before the icing is set and leave the whole lot to set until it is cool.

Variations - make using same method

Coffee Glace icing
8oz/200g sifted icing sugar
2 levels tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2-2.5 tbsp hot water

Chocolate Glace icing
4oz/100g plain chocolate
2 tbsp water
0.5 oz/15g butter

Grate or sshred the chocolate with a knife and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. and water and warm over very gentle heat stirring with wooden spoon until a smooth cream is formeed. Gradually stir in the icing sugar, adding a bit of hot water if necessary to get a coating consistency.

Milk chocolate icing
4oz/100g milk cchocolate
2oz/50g butter

Grate or shave chocolate with a knife and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. Heat genty until smooth hen poor over cake.

French mocha icing
4oz/100g plain desert chocolate
20z/50g butter
1tbsp rum
1 level tsp instant coffee

Grate/shave cchocolate and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. Heat gently until smooth then stir in coffee andd rum :smile:. Pour over cake.

I'll do some butter cream and some quick frosting recipes later.

MB
musicboy
Glace icing

Ingredients
8 oz/200g sifted icing sugar
2-2.5 tbsp water
squeeze off lemon juice

Put icing sugar in a ssamall sauccepan (enamel lined if possible as alumininium may turn icing slightly grey - not that you'd notice much). Add lemon juice and water. Beat well with a wooden spoon over very gentle heat. be really careful with heat because too much will make the icing crack or dull on the cake. The bottom of the pan should neeveer be too hot to touch with fingers (this is a bit tricky). To test consistency dip a wooden spoon into it - the icing should thickly coat it beffore running off. If it is too thick then add an extra 0.5tbsp of water. and reheat again. Remember it is better to have a thick icing than a thick one.

To ice the cake: get the cake andd standd it on a plate, Pour the icing over the top helping it to spread wwith a a pallette knife where needed. Add some decoration of nuts/glace fruit/ chocolate chips etc before the icing is set and leave the whole lot to set until it is cool.

Variations - make using same method

Coffee Glace icing
2 levels tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2-2.5 tbsp hot water

Chocolate Glace icing
4oz/100g plain chocolate
2 tbsp water
0.5 oz/15g butter

Grate or sshred the chocolate with a knife and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. and water and warm over very gentle heat stirring with wooden spoon until a smooth cream is formeed. Gradually stir in the icing sugar, adding a bit of hot water if necessary to get a coating consistency.

Milk chocolate icing
4oz/100g milk cchocolate
2oz/50g butter

Grate or shave chocolate with a knife and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. Heat genty until smooth hen poor over cake.

French mocha icing
4oz/100g plain desert chocolate
20z/50g butter
1tbsp rum
1 level tsp instant coffee

Grate/shave cchocolate and put in small thick bottomed pan with butter. Heat gently until smooth then stir in coffee andd rum :smile:. Pour over cake.

I'll do some butter cream and some quick frosting recipes later.

MB

Yay!! Thanks mb!! I think you should be given the title 'Official UKL Cake Maker and Consultant'!! There you go- put it in your sig!!!
Ruthie xx
ruthiepoothie
'Official UKL Cake Maker and Consultant'!! There you go- put it in your sig!!!

Done, thanks for the rep as well.

MB
good old buttermilk biscuit straight from the deeeeeeeeeeep-south lol

Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup club soda
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine all of the ingredients, knead the dough by hand until the dough holds together do not over knead. Flour your hands Pat the dough flat to 3/4-inch thickness out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased baking sheet for 13 minutes, or until golden brown, when they come out of the oven brush with melted butter. Makes 18 Biscuits
Reply 68
Hi everyone

I'll tell you what's really nice is pasta mixed with hot dogs, sweetcorn with a bit of mayonnaise. My mum made it the other day, delicious!!! :tongue:
Reply 69
Marvelous Mango Milkshake

Ingredients:

One large mango
Vanilla ice cream
Half a litre of milk

Method:

- Peel the skin off the mango and take out the seed in the middle
- Chop up the remaining mango and put it in a blender (those jug ones)
- Add the milk and about 3-4 tablespoons of ice cream
- If you like sweet stuff you can add sugar, but it tastes better without the sugar
- put the lid on the blender:rolleyes:.......and mix it until it becomes a thick liquid (and turns orangy-yellow)

Serve straight away...........and it tastes best when it's cold!
Enjoy!

Reply 70
Tigger1986
Hi everyone

I'll tell you what's really nice is pasta mixed with hot dogs, sweetcorn with a bit of mayonnaise. My mum made it the other day, delicious!!! :tongue:

do you mean sausages?

has anyone had a pesto sauce sandwich? or pesto toast? it's a pretty nice substitute if there's no pasta around at home!
Reply 71
4Ed
do you mean sausages?

No I mean canned hot dogs
Reply 72
artery clogger 5000 cheese toastie

2 slices of bread
2 slices of proccessed cheese u put on burgers
1 cm thick slice of cheese off the block
half a tub of spreadable cheese
half a tub of phillidelphia

spread the half tub of spreadable cheese on one slice and the philli on the other slice, stick one slice of proccessed cheese on top of each piece, put the 1cm thick slice of cheese inbetween the two pieces of cheese, place the toastie into the toastie maker and cook untill the bread goes hard but isnt cooked, cover the toastie in layers of butter and put in once more, when golden brown eat. must be eating with water (can be very sickly after 3)
Reply 73
polljk
artery clogger 5000 cheese toastie

2 slices of bread
2 slices of proccessed cheese u put on burgers
1 cm thick slice of cheese off the block
half a tub of spreadable cheese
half a tub of phillidelphia

spread the half tub of spreadable cheese on one slice and the philli on the other slice, stick one slice of proccessed cheese on top of each piece, put the 1cm thick slice of cheese inbetween the two pieces of cheese, place the toastie into the toastie maker and cook untill the bread goes hard but isnt cooked, cover the toastie in layers of butter and put in once more, when golden brown eat. must be eating with water (can be very sickly after 3)

Needs more hotsauce.
Reply 74
Smokey Joe
Needs more hotsauce.

it can be tweaked:smile:
i've added raw peppers to the mix with pepperoni once
was heaven :biggrin:
and i still wonder how i can only weight 8 stone 6
Reply 75
anyone know how to make stuffed mushrooms?You know the ones you get in pizza hut. Ohh their soo nice... :biggrin:
Reply 76
PiZzA!

Ingredients:

Base:
15oz of hard bread flour/ pizza flour (hard bread flour is easier to find)
2 tablespoons of yeast
1 tablespoon of vinegar
half a teaspoon of sugar
half a teaspoon of salt

Toppings:
tomato puree/ pasta sauce (pasta sauce may sound wierd but a normal
tomato and garlic pasta sauce tastes better
than tomato puree!)
Cheese (anykind....but a mixture of chedder ans mozzarella gives the best
taste!)
toppings can be anything you like!
Oil (to grease the tray)
Oregano

Method:

Base:

- Fill less than half a glass with boiling water and stir 2 tablespoons of yeast into it. leave it for about 10 minutes

- Put the sugar and the salt into the flour and then sieve it all into a large mixing bowl

- Add the vinegar and the yeast to the flour

- Add a bit of hot water to the flour and knead it........keep adding very small amounts of water to the flour and knead it gently

- Make sure there are no dried bits of flour in the bowl and make sure the dough stays hard

- You either leave the dough in the bowl or out it on to an oven tray straight away......leaving it in the bowl is best

- Put the dough in a warm place and leave there for at least one hour.......the longer you leave it the more it will rise and the better it will taste!

Tip.....if you are going leave the dough in the bowl then cover it with a clean and damp dish cloth....this will prevent it from drying, but don't do this if you're going to put it in an oven tray (to rise) as the dough will stick to the cloth

Another tip.......if you problems picking the dough then put cooking oil on your hands

- Once the dough has risen, put the oven on

- Grease an oven tray and put the dough on it………..stretch the dough in to a circular shape and you can make the edges “stick up” if you want to

- Cover the dough with the pasta sauce or tomato puree….don’t put too much on
Tip……..like I said before pasta sauce is better than tomato puree…..but if you are going to use tomato puree then add a bit of water to it before putting it on the base and put too much on

- Put on the toppings…………here you can put on anything you like!

- Finish by covering it all with grated cheese……….again don’t put too much on!

- to give it that extra pizza taste and smell…..sprinkle a bit of oregano on the top of the cheese

- Put it in the oven for about 20+ minutes

Eat straight away!
Reply 77
i know im reviving an old thread here, but it is a really good thread so ... thought people could post more recipes ...!

here's one

Crunchy Chicken Salad with Caesar-Style Dressing

Ingredients
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
4 x 15 ml spoons mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
15ml spoon white or balsamic vinegar
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cucumber, diced
1 Romaine lettuce, shredded
375g cooked chicken, shredded

Method
In a small bowl mix together the cheese, mayonnaise, garlic (if using), vinegar and seasoning together.

In a serving bowl add the tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and chicken and toss together before stirring in the dressing. Toss well until evenly mixed.
Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Reply 78
Minted Lamb Burgers

Prep and cook time: Up to 30 mins

Serves: 8

Ingredients
1kg lean lamb mince
1 large onion, peeled and grated
25g fresh breadcrumbs
2 x 5ml spoons dried mint
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 x 15ml spoons corn oil
To serve: finely shredded iceberg lettuce and sesame seeded burger buns

Method
Preheat a grill to a moderate heat.

In a large bowl combine together the mince, onion, breadcrumbs and dried mint, season well.

Shape into 8 flat patties, brush lightly with oil and grill for 8-10 minutes on each side.

Lightly toast the burger buns, fill with the burgers, top with one of the chutneys and crisp iceberg lettuce. Serve immediately.
Reply 79
pig
Parmo

Serves 1 (just do more for more people).

Ingredients

1 large fresh chicken breast
Breadcrumbs
Grated parmesan

Method
Cover the chicken in breadcrumbs
Preheat grill
Fry the chicken in a shallow pan in a tiny bit of oil til it's more or less cooked through
Cover chicken in the parmesan
Grill until the cheese is melted
Sprinkle a bit of black pepper
Serve with salad and ludicrously thick chips.

that actually sounds really nice! mmmm

Quick Reply

Latest