The Student Room Group

Cambridge law??

So I'm in my first year of college meaning that uni choices are coming up.
I'm thinking of:
Cambridge (MAIN HOPE IS THIS SO ADVICE ON WHETHER I WILL MAKE A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION)
LSE
UCL
Kings College London
Southampton
All for law (hence the title)
My grades are as follow
GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
AS Levels (based on current performance) 92% across top 3 and strong A in fourth one.
A levels (predictid) A* A* A* A (I'm carrying on with four)
Like I said above advice mainly on Cambridge but other options also thanks.

Scroll to see replies

My friend who is tagged should be able to tell you more as he is going on to study Law at Cambridge next year
Reply 2
Original post by GCSE 2015
I'm thinking of:
Cambridge (MAIN HOPE IS THIS SO ADVICE ON WHETHER I WILL MAKE A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION)

My grades are as follow
GCSE 8 A's 2 B's
AS Levels (based on current performance) 92% across top 3 and strong A in fourth one.

What A levels are you taking?

Given that your GCSEs are decent but nothing special, what has so improved your work ethic/ability that you're on course for those A levels?
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
What A levels are you taking?

Given that your GCSEs are decent but nothing special, what has so improved your work ethic/ability that you're on course for those A levels?

Just clicked I guess
Reply 4
Original post by Salsa123
My friend who is tagged should be able to tell you more as he is going on to study Law at Cambridge next year

Thanks that'll be really helpful :smile:
If he doesn't reply feel free to just send him a message in his inbox, I'm pretty sure he replies to those :smile:
Reply 6
I'm thinking of:
LSE
UCL
Kings College London
Southampton
My grades are as follow
GCSE 8 A's 2 B's

If yiu specifically avoid Churchill College with those GCSEs you should be reasonably competive for Cambridge.

What are your A-Level subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
If yiu specifically avoid Churchill College with those GCSEs you should be reasonably competive for Cambridge.

What are your A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that advice, I heard that that was a hard college haha and Law History Economcis and English Lit
Reply 8
Thanks for that advice, I heard that that was a hard college haha and Law History Economcis and English Lit

Yep, they won't look at you unless you have at least 5A* GCSEs for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Yep, they won't look at you unless you have at least 5A* GCSEs for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I heard about that haha I'll be sure to avoid that particular college, do you want to do law at uni ?
Reply 10
Yeah I heard about that haha I'll be sure to avoid that particular college, do you want to do law at uni ?

Nope. I'm a parent of an Engineering place holder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Nope. I'm a parent of an Engineering place holder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At Cambridge ?
Reply 12
At Cambridge ?

Yes. Christ's. He deferred and starts this Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Yes. Christ's. He deferred and starts this Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations and thanks for all the advice
Reply 14
Congratulations and thanks for all the advice

No problem.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking of:
LSE
UCL
Kings College London
Southampton
My grades are as follow
GCSE 8 A's 2 B's

Original post by Salsa123

@Nikhilm

I'm German and a long-time lurker on this form. I do not have IGCSEs. I have weak German secondary qualifications. I'm doing both AS and A2 this year in econs, law and politics.

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my UCAS application for this year and applying to Cambridge for next year's intake. I have received law conditional offers for this year's intake from York, Birbeck, Sussex and Sunderland. I also got an offer from Bath for politics with economics.

Will have stellar A level grades be enough? Will the fact that I do not have IGCSEs affect my application? What do you think?
Original post by Audrey18
@Nikhilm

I'm German and a long-time lurker on this form. I do not have IGCSEs. I have weak German secondary qualifications. I'm doing both AS and A2 this year in econs, law and politics.

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my UCAS application for this year and applying to Cambridge for next year's intake. I have received law conditional offers for this year's intake from York, Birbeck, Sussex and Sunderland. I also got an offer from Bath for politics with economics.

Will have stellar A level grades be enough? Will the fact that I do not have IGCSEs affect my application? What do you think?

Hey, it really all depends on how good your A Level grades are. I have no idea about German qualifications - to know for sure about Cambridge's position etc. you have to just call them up, or ask one of their TSR representatives
Reply 17
@Nikhilm

Good grades are helpful but not necessarily enough. I would not recommend risking 5 good offers in the hand for the chance (and a chance is all it is) of an offer from Cambridge.

Most post A-level applicants to Cambridge will have stellar grades (A*A*A or higher) and they won't all get offers.
Original post by Nikhilm
Hey, it really all depends on how good your A Level grades are. I have no idea about German qualifications - to know for sure about Cambridge's position etc. you have to just call them up, or ask one of their TSR representatives

can you share with us about your Cambridge application journey? where are you from?
can you share with us about your Cambridge application journey? where are you from?

Lol calling it a 'journey' makes it sound really epic - the bottom line is that if you get good grades and perform well at interview, you'll get an offer

If you really want however, I might give a description of my application process (for Law this is) when I'm less busy - maybe tomorrow or the day after

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending