The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Anyone applied for any postgrad course at the dept of civil engineering?

just wanna know if anyone received an offer from this department? for any courses this year, like geotechnical, environmental, structural, hydrological engineering.
I've asked many applicants on my course and nobody has received an offer yet.
it's much more than 6-8weeks, seems that the processing time is unbelievably slow.

Scroll to see replies

I've reveived an offer from engineering dep. but don't worry - the process is extremely slow...

I've waited approx. 4 months for an answer.

I advise you to call the department and ask when they are going to send the offers. In my case it gave me a month of a 'good and peaceful sleep' cause I knew that they were still making decisions for everyone :-)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by fancy_boots
I've reveived an offer from engineering dep. but don't worry - the process is extremely slow...

I've waited approx. 4 months for an answer.

I advise you to call the department and ask when they are going to send the offers. In my case it gave me a month of a 'good and peaceful sleep' cause I knew that they were still making decisions for everyone :-)

May I ask which course you apply for?
Reply 3
I am also waiting.. I thought they put me on a waiting list or that they rejected me and forget to let me know. :s-smilie:

May I ask you, your entry qualification. I applied for MSc Structural Engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by BiBLN
I am also waiting.. I thought they put me on a waiting list or that they rejected me and forget to let me know. :s-smilie:

May I ask you, your entry qualification. I applied for MSc Structural Engineering.

I applied for structural engineeirng as well :smile: I guess they put us in a waiting pool..
Applied for Hydrology about a month ago... still waiting.... tick tock
Have no idea if I have a chance or not.... what kind of grades/background are everyone coming in with here?
I guess some courses will be more competitive than others- not sure I could wait 4 months though!

Anyone know if interviews are part of the application process at all? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I did my bachelors in munich, germany. I had an average mark of 2.0 i guess its a 2:1 in Uk,not sure. Since 2013 I worked as a working student in a structural engineering company. I also was a tutor for 2 years in road planning. However, my personal letter was not the bomb. 😧 I wasnt motivated enough to write a good letter. I just wroted it somehow. 🙈 I applied on the 9th Dec 2015 and it was completed on the 19th of january. So i am waiting almost 3 months
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by aaron199419
Applied for Hydrology about a month ago... still waiting.... tick tock
Have no idea if I have a chance or not.... what kind of grades/background are everyone coming in with here?
I guess some courses will be more competitive than others- not sure I could wait 4 months though!

Anyone know if interviews are part of the application process at all? :smile:

I dont know. But i dont think so. I am an eu student maybe i am lucky and dont have to attend one
Reply 8
Original post by zoeeeey
I applied for structural engineeirng as well :smile: I guess they put us in a waiting pool..

Yeey maybee. But i hope not. Let me know if you have further information.
-b
Reply 9
Original post by BiBLN
I did my bachelors in munich, germany. I had an average mark of 2.0 i guess its a 2:1 in Uk,not sure. Since 2013 I worked as a working student in a structural engineering company. I also was a tutor for 2 years in road planning. However, my personal letter was not the bomb. 😧 I wasnt motivated enough to write a good letter. I just wroted it somehow. 🙈 I applied on the 9th Dec 2015 and it was completed on the 19th of january. So i am waiting almost 3 months

I'm doing the UK undergraduate course atm and I'm on the track to get 1st class. The application was submitted by early December as well. Maybe because of my weakness in working experience, I haven't received anything
Reply 10
Original post by zoeeeey
I'm doing the UK undergraduate course atm and I'm on the track to get 1st class. The application was submitted by early December as well. Maybe because of my weakness in working experience, I haven't received anything

Dont give up hope. I think everyone who applied december-ish didnt get any feedback. I read somewhere that there are different answer periods.

January, March and May. As well as June/July.

So I think we will get into the next period, march, since we missed January. Just let me know when you get your results.
Reply 11
Original post by BiBLN
Dont give up hope. I think everyone who applied december-ish didnt get any feedback. I read somewhere that there are different answer periods.

January, March and May. As well as June/July.

So I think we will get into the next period, march, since we missed January. Just let me know when you get your results.

Thx and I'll let you know then
Don't worry about the experience - I didn't have one.

BUT !

Remember to write a good personal statement and have strong letters of recommendation - this will help for sure.
They gave me a 2.1 as a requirement, and that was pretty all.

Some courses reply relatively soon, but I don't think that any reply will be within 6-8 weeks ( I guess...)

But still, good luck!
Reply 13
Hey. I hope you are all well. Did you guys get any update on your applications yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by BiBLN
Hey. I hope you are all well. Did you guys get any update on your applications yet?

So far I haven't received any update yet. Also, as far as I know, no ppl on my course who applied for this dept got any news...
all we can do is finger crossed
Reply 15
I cant wait any longer. :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

why does it taaaakeee sooooooo looooong.
Reply 16
Original post by BiBLN
I cant wait any longer. :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

why does it taaaakeee sooooooo looooong.

Same here. I can't even focus on my exam revisions recently. Dunno what the admission team thinks about.
Anyways, no news is a good news. Finger crossed
I rang them a month or so ago- they anticipated that replies would be given in mid-late April for the Jan/Feb batch of applications (pinch of salt?!)....
So I hope it won't be too much longer.
Reply 18
Original post by aaron199419
I rang them a month or so ago- they anticipated that replies would be given in mid-late April for the Jan/Feb batch of applications (pinch of salt?!)....
So I hope it won't be too much longer.

oh ok thank you for letting us know..

@zoeeeey :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 19
Hey guys.. It's me again :biggrin:

Do you know how high the fees are, especially for general structural engineering.. I found 9k for the MSc in concrete structure. And when i follow the tuition fee link, it says 15.750 pound for the MSc's of the civil engineering department . So I am a little bit confused. 16 k is crazy.. i think i remember it was about 10 k for general structrual eng. I hope it still is.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/fees-and-funding/tuition-fees/2016-17/taught-postgraduate-programmes/faculty-of-engineering/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending