The Student Room Group

Normal distribution

Could somebody possibly check over this for me? I thought my method was correct but it's the first question on a past paper and they normally give 'nicer' values for the answer (not sure how to phrase that sorry!) which specifically appear in the tables so now I'm doubting it.

Question:
Y is normally distributed with mean μ\mu and standard deviation 2.50. Given that P(Y>12)=0.3P(Y>12) = 0.3 find the value of μ\mu.

I've done:
P(Z<12μ2.5)=0.7P(Z < \frac{12 - \mu}{2.5}) = 0.7
From the normal tables, 12μ2.5=0.52433?\frac{12 - \mu}{2.5} = 0.52433?

Rearrange to get μ=10.7\mu = 10.7 to 3sf.

Thank you!
Original post by olivia30
x

looks good to me :biggrin: are you edexcel for maths?
Reply 2

What normal tables are you using? I haven't seen ones in the formula booklet with that much accuracy, are you on OCR or something? :eek:
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
What normal tables are you using? I haven't seen ones in the formula booklet with that much accuracy, are you on OCR or something? :eek:

Original post by DylanJ42
looks good to me :biggrin: are you edexcel for maths?

Thanks both of you! I'm OCR. My tables gave me p(0.524)=0.6999 so I used linear interpolation (is that what it's called) to get the .33 on the end. Not really necessary since they only ask for answers to 3sf but oh well :h:
Thanks both of you! I'm OCR. My tables gave me p(0.524)=0.6999 so I used linear interpolation (is that what it's called) to get the .33 on the end. Not really necessary since they only ask for answers to 3sf but oh well :h:

its no problem

ah i see, well if youre taught to use interpolation for these scenarios then you're definitely right
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
What normal tables are you using?

In case you're really interested (which I'm sure you're not :lol:):
image.jpeg
Reply 6
In case you're really interested (which I'm sure you're not :lol:):

...I'm worse than you think. I went and googled it myself half an hour ago, it's the same formula booklet I use for STEP! :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
...I'm worse than you think. I went and googled it myself half an hour ago, it's the same formula booklet I use for STEP! :lol:

Don't worry, I googled the Edexcel one to see the difference! :laugh: Yours is divided into specific C1, C2 etc sections! :eek: Jealous. assuming you're Edexcel, that is.

Original post by DylanJ42
its no problem

ah i see, well if youre taught to use interpolation for these scenarios then you're definitely right

Good to know, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest