The Student Room Group

Is it time all illegal drugs are legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MountKimbie
For those that are against the use of drugs, why/how would legalisation affect you?

It could mean that my children in the future have easy access to things which could kill them, for one thing. If it was legal, people could do them before working or during work and give customers risky services, another thing. There are quite a few ways.

The pro-legalisation argument isn't weak but it is too full of this: "how does it affect you?" *******s.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the bear
Morning Eth !

How's the Flower of the Forest ?

:beard:

Morning bear™

Did you see my latest acronym? I tagged you specifically and have had no feedback. :naughty:
Original post by ivybridge
It could mean that my children in the future have easy acces to things which could kill them, for one thing. If it was legal, people could do them before working or during work and give customers risky services, another thing. There are quite a few ways.

The pro-pegalisation argument isn't weak but it is too full of this: "how does it affect you?" *******s.

Obviously there would be an age restriction on any product, your children could access tobacco, alcohol, bleach all right now? Legalisation wouldn't make it easier for children to obtain drugs I don't think. The sort of people that take drugs before work are doing it regardless of whether it is illegal or not.
Because it's the government who cleans up after you.

I kind of get this argument, but alcohol is legal? smoking is legal?

so many things are legal that could potentially cause more harm than recreational drug use.
Original post by jamesthehustler
my personal opinion is to legalise natural drugs so most opiates, weed, cocaine

so the problem of unregulated poor production standards will continue?
I think in the short term it would be a good idea to break the cycle of the war on drugs and how that only perpetuates a lot of users' problems and is a black market dream.

However in the long term my concern would be health. I think we should be able to make our own choices in life to some extent but look at the drugs that are legal - specifically tobacco and alcohol - their consumption is pretty high and in the long term this creates a lot of problems for people's health and is a burden to the health service.

we (society and by way of that governments) also have a responsibility to use evidence about their long term effects (especially on our brains) to manage their use proportionately with that in mind and illegalisation is a way of exerting some form of control.
Idon't do drugs and never have, but I think they should be legalised. However, I think it should still be illegal to sell them without a licence and they should be sold in shops. This way, they're pure and not mixed with god knows what else which means less risk to the population, and if they're sold in shops it'll help the economy.

Simply criminalising them does nothing to stop it, for most people drugs are just as accessible as alcohol or cigarretes. Selling cigarettes and alcohol in shops works. Drugs being illegal creates crime in itself - there's not a roaring black market for any legal substance.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Ethereal World with responsible use, alcohol doesn't cause any long term health problem. Like everything, moderation is key. Alc & tobacco are different to recreational drugs, you wouldn't rack up a few lines of coke waiting for a bus but you'd light up a fag. You'd go for a drink or two with friends or on a date, not get wavey on ketamine. It think its all about context.

To be honest, I do not think drugs should be legalised. I have my own selfish reasons for this.

I would like to see evidence based reasoning if they were to be legalised though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by contradicta
I kind of get this argument, but alcohol is legal? smoking is legal?

so many things are legal that could potentially cause more harm than recreational drug use.

But they don't? Smoking - okay, what, long term possibility of lung and mouth cancers. Cocaine? Bye-bye nasal cavity, bladder control, healthy heart function, and in some cases, mental health.

Alcohol: in moderation does nothing too bad? Sometimes it can even be healthy to have a glass if wine or whatever, I just do not see the comparison.

I do get that all three cause harm but I hate the comparison.
(edited 8 years ago)
Obviously there would be an age restriction on any product, your children could access tobacco, alcohol, bleach all right now? Legalisation wouldn't make it easier for children to obtain drugs I don't think. The sort of people that take drugs before work are doing it regardless of whether it is illegal or not.

I think them taking a puff on a cigarette is different from them taking a puff on a crack-pipe, pal.
@Ethereal World with responsible use, alcohol doesn't cause any long term health problem. Like everything, moderation is key. Alc & tobacco are different to recreational drugs, you wouldn't rack up a few lines of coke waiting for a bus but you'd light up a fag. You'd go for a drink or two with friends or on a date, not get wavey on ketamine. It think its all about context.

To be honest, I do not think drugs should be legalised. I have my own selfish reasons for this.

The reason one wouldn't do that in the public eye is because it is illegal. The same theory would be redundant if ket and Coke were legalised.

I guess if people weren't pawns for economic productivity either, legalising drugs would probably be an attractive option for governments.
But they don't? Smoking - okay, what, long term possibility of lung and mouth cancers. Cocaine? Bye-bye nasal cavity, bladder control, healthy heart function, and in some cases, mental health.

Alcohol: in moderation does nothing too bad? Sometimes it can even be healthy to have a glass if wine or whatever, I just do not see the comparison.

Cocaine/ Heroin/ etc yes okay they are very harmful. Also more likely to be used by addicts, though I guess coke is also used recreationaly. But the occasional pill (Ecstasy) on a night out does no more harm than binge drinking.

And cannabis, not really worse than smoking in terms of damage.

Considering how many people are in A+E over alcohol each weekend, I don't see why at least cannabis isn't legalised. It doesn't make you violent, and you can't 'overdose' on it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Absolutely in favour of the legalisation of drugs. All criminalising them does is put money in the pockets of criminal organisations, it doesn't really stop the people who want to do drugs, doing drugs. You could control the doses being given out and it'd also ensure that it wasn't being cut with stuff that'll really screw you up.

It'd probably also substantially reduce the amount of people on the 'harder' drugs, cause you wouldn't have drug dealers pushing customers who are doing weed, to try stuff like coke, heroin etc.
Original post by Sequin Rugby
I think drugs are vile and those who take them are largely degenerates. Educate your children to avoid them. That being said I do think all drugs should be legalised, and not regulated or taxed.

Actually, chances are that most of the people who take drugs are far more successful than you'll ever be.
Original post by contradicta
Cocaine/ Heroin/ etc yes okay they are very harmful. Also more likely to be used by addicts, though I guess coke is also used recreationaly. But the occasional pill (Ecstasy) on a night out does no more harm than binge drinking.

And cannabis, not really worse than smoking in terms of damage.

Considering how many people are in A+E over alcohol each weekend, I don't see why at least cannabis isn't legalised. It doesn't make you violent, and you can't 'overdose' on it.

No but you can shake off the effects of a bad night out drinking whereas marijuanna use will eventually lead to a deterioration in your mental health. HOWEVER, please note that in my original statement I said I can understand the legalisation of marijuanna.

As for pills, I can also partially understand but do not condone legalisation - people have died on ecstasy. One guy died not long ago from taking a pill of ecstasy at a rave. However, I can accept that legalisation would probably mean what they are manufactured with can be managed and controlled.

I just have to add though mate: two wrongs don't make a right? You shouldn't go, "drugs drugs drugs wooo" just because alcohol is legal and causes long-term harm. Also, alcohol doesn't intrinsically cause violent behaviour - it depends on the person.

Just wondering here but I thought cannabis was actually much more damaging to the lungs? I mean, I could be wrong but I thought I had read that somewhere.

How much cocaine are your children planning on snorting? Those aren't short term side effects of 'responsible' usage.
Your kids could get a few bottles of vodka and OD. Like I nearly did. What about a bit of weed? Or a microdosing LSD? Mushroom tea once in a while?

Original post by Ethereal World
The reason one wouldn't do that in the public eye is because it is illegal. The same theory would be redundant if ket and Coke were legalised.

I guess if people weren't pawns for economic productivity either, legalising drugs would probably be an attractive option for governments.

My point was that there is a time and a place for different drugs. You're really unlikely to see a large proportion of people take MDMA on their own for a quiet night in. You'd see an increase in the amount of weed being smoked in public, but I highly doubt anybody would take the newly legal drugs in a setting unfamiliar with how they are being used now.
Original post by Ethereal World
Morning bear™

Did you see my latest acronym? I tagged you specifically and have had no feedback. :naughty:

all of these modern things ! tagging, dongles & sexting... it makes my veins come up something terrible.
How much cocaine are your children planning on snorting? Those aren't short term side effects of 'responsible' usage.
Your kids could get a few bottles of vodka and OD. Like I nearly did. What about a bit of weed? Or a microdosing LSD? Mushroom tea once in a while?

Pal, my brother had a cocaine addiction - I know what I'm talking about. You can't take cocaine responsibly - it is something you should just leave the **** alone.

You're making these comparisons like it validates legalising more things that cause harm? What logic is that? Change the alcohol laws then, campaign for that.

I already addressed marijuanna and LSD/Ecstasy.

I don't really know anything about mushrooms so I'm not going to comment on it.
Original post by the bear
all of these modern things ! tagging, dongles & sexting... it makes my veins come up something terrible.

These things are necessary evils. The acronym was both poetic and apt. And I need you to validate it otherwise I feel insecure all day.
Reply 39
Really interesting video. I think if they were legalised though more people would try and abuse them because they would have easier access to them. We don't know what the effects of making them suddenly available to everyone would be- it could be catastrophic. At least enforcing law on their ban is keeping to what we know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending