The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, wow you know, what do you exactly mean about an oscillation???
Reply 2
how do you know its on oscillations?
Reply 3
Capacitors ????????????
Our teacher made a work sheet based on the real thing which had micrometers and oscillation
i asked him wats the point of doing this sheet and he said he had a look he also said on the apparatus list that a stop watch will be used and that the only experiment in physics for a2 that invoves a stopwatch is the ocillations
Reply 4
That's strange as in my mock we used a stop watch and the first experiment involved Capacitor discharge, and the second was oscillations. If I remember correctly it was last years paper... I doubt it will be the same two years in a row.
Reply 5
Basically, things u need to know are-
How to measure the period of an oscilation (like time it for 10 bounces then divide by 10)
How to use a micrometer
how to take natural logs of equations which is the hardest bit i think
Reply 6
capacitors are definately NOT on it - they dont have the same thing two years in a row
how do you incorporate using a MSG and a capacitor lol
Reply 7
*cough* oscillations *cough*

:wink:
Reply 8
Oscillations has come up 8 times in this thread, Im going with Oscillation:P
Reply 9
vb07
capacitors are definitely NOT on it - they dont have the same thing two years in a row
how do you incorporate using a MSG and a capacitor lol

It could involve measuring the thickness of a wire :s-smilie:
Reply 10
remember: the practical consists of 2 experiments (1 short one and 1 long)... so maybe the first experiment is based on oscillation and the other on capacitors... just a thought...
You'll find out soon enough :wink:
Reply 12
hehe pretty nice,
I got 1.10 mm for the slides, graph gradient = -0.0440 and intercept = 5.10, A was actually my V0 ie. 160 mV and B was 0.0440
The 50% thing was (ln 2/B) * (measurement of slide) - worked out around 17 for me. For the second question I said that T is proportional to root m, my two values of K were within 3% of one another.
Reply 13
Jus finished mine, Wasn't too bad actually!

Part 1- in the dark!
Glass slides
initial reading- 101.1 mV
then went down to about 60mV with 12 slides on it
then the log bit [4 marks]- Quite hard
Graph- easy
Gradient not too good, then the y intercept, i ended up drawing the line through the Y, i couldnt do the maths!

Part 2- Oscillations
0.6kg was about 0.9s i think and 0.3kg was about 0.6 from what i can remember!
Sig Figs- wasnt too sure on this :s-smilie:
they said T was proportional to Sq.rt of M, so for this i put a constant in which gave T=k Sq.rtM so k=t/Sq.rtM
plug values of T into these for 0.6 and 0.3 kg and they both came out at 1.67 whisch meant they were proportional

Evaluation [8 marks]-
1.Human error in releasing and starting the timer
Solution- use a machine
2. Displacment of 4cm was hard to judge
solution- use a ruler with a fiducial marker on the mass
3.Hard to time when oscillation finished
Solution- Record the experiment on film and analyse afterward to get a proper value for T
4. Mass swings from side to side, affecting T

Thats pretty much what i did from what i can remember, anyone else have probs on the log bit??

..:: Sim ::..
I'm pretty sure that results will vary around the country depending on how your school set things up.

It was fun setting up so that the spring would pendulum with 300g.
Reply 15
hmm yeah vaguely what i got
Reply 16
lol it was horrible - that sideways movement!
That was the idea
Reply 18
well yeah
it was an experiment where u could have said a 100 different bad things about it
inspite of this, the values of K got pretty close to one another
Reply 19
vb07
well yeah
it was an experiment where u could have said a 100 different bad things about it
inspite of this, the values of K got pretty close to one another

really? mine was way off... the difference was something like 5... hmmm...

Latest