The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Great post^.

Will do mine this week.
India vs SA Final, India to win
Reply 22
Opening day victories for Afghanistan and Zimbabwe, as expected, over Scotland and Hong Kong respectively.
Bangladesh playing the Netherlands at the moment.

Bangladesh batting first with Tamim going well but losing too many wickets with 5 overs still to go.

If anyone wants to follow, worth going on espncricinfo.com where they have a ball by ball summary but also are providing highlight clubs for 4s, 6s and wickets. It's pretty cool :biggrin:
Reply 24
India
They'll win it, I'm sure. I just can't see anybody else lifting the trophy. I am convinced they will emerge victorious. They have the home conditions, which will play into their favour. I think it's all about how they deal - mentally - with being such strong favourites. I worry a little for them in the middle order, with numbers 5-7 proving too slow to score at times. India's Nos. 5 to 7 batsmen have a strike rate of 118.6 since January 2014 - the worst of all teams.
Regardless, I think they'll win.
Prediction: Winners.
Key players: Obviously Virat Kohli, who is the most talented batsman in the Indian set-up and capable of winning matches against both minnows and the world's best. Kohli has nine 50s and three 40s in his last 15 innings. I'd also back Ashwin to wreak havoc on sides who can't play spin (here's looking at you, Australia and England!).

South Africa
Despite Australia's rise in the rankings, and the strength they've shown under Steve Smith, I fancy SA to be the most likely to upset the Indian apple cart and spring a surprise at the tournament. They have such a wealth of options with the bat. They have probably the most fearsome batting line-up in the tournament, though I worry that if Dale Steyn is injured, they don't possess the firepower with the ball to really limit teams with big hitters. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the old mental block of consistently reaching the semi-finals only to fall short, too.
Prediction: At least the semi-finals.
Key players: A lot will come down to how the veterans - ABDV, Faf du Plessis and Hashim Amla - make life easier for their bowlers. If Dale Steyn is fit and firing, then fair enough. If he's not, then obviously Imran Tahir will be key. You can't pressure Rabada this early on in his career.

Australia
Easily the most interesting side in the competition, in my view. They don't seem to possess the strength in T20s as they do in ODIs, and particularly Tests. The series with SA is yet to be decided, but they were woefully out of their depth against India and I can't see them having the ability to play spin comfortably on the sub-continent. Oh, and they don't even know their best XI.
Prediction: At best semi-finalists. Won't be finalists.
Key players: I actually think their key player is somebody who won't be at the tournament - Mitchell Starc. He'd breathe life into their poor bowling attack. Without him, they'll obviously Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh and Shane Watson to shine with the bat. I'm pretty sure Khawaja and Smith will do their bit, so it's up to everybody else to chip in.

New Zealand
Ah, the post-McCullum NZ. I really hope they carry on playing cricket in his ilk, care-free and fair and full of good natured sportsmen. I actually think people are overlooking NZ a little going into the tournament. Despite B-Mac's departure, they should still be feared. Kane Williamson, Corey Anderson and Martin Guptill are brilliant players, and the former is a great and ready-made replacement as the Black Caps captain.
Prediction: Will do well to reach the semi-finals, owing to their group being extremely tough.
Key players: It's obviously Guptill, who has the capability of turning a match on its head with a great innings with the bat.

England
I'm hopeful. It may prove to be misplaced hope, but I'm hopeful all the same. I really want England to play with freedom and nonchalance. They shouldn't worry with ending the series in SA with five consecutive defeats. It doesn't matter. Those things will happen. They're a young side, learning their trade. Eoin Morgan is the only one with real, proper T20 experience. I think this team have relished the care-free and blase attitude of the Trevor Bayliss/Andrew Strauss leadership, and now is there chance to take that into a proper, prestigious tournament. Anything will be a success compared to last year's World Cup.
Prediction: Semi-finals.
Key players: Obviously, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler will need to score big. But I'm intrigued as to how Adil Rashid fares on sub-continent pitches offering plenty of turn personally.

West Indies
Plenty don't know what to expect from the Windies, so just expect the unexpected. They really are a mercurial beast, capable of the sublime (winning this tournament four years ago) and the shocking. It's good to see that the dispute over contracts between the varying nations represented by the Windies board have finally subsided, but the on-the-pitch problems remain. No Lendl Simmons promises to be a curse that the squad may be unable to overcome.
Prediction: Out at the group stage.
Key players: Forget Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Darren Sammy. It's all about Sammy Badree. A SR of a wicket every 16 deliveries makes him the 11th best T20 bowler of all-time, and he has a healthy economy rate.

Pakistan
They won't be doing anything. If they were to succeed, it would be the biggest surprise of the tournament. The Windies are in disarray, too, but surely they even have a better chance than Pakistan, a team who has lost seven of their last nine T20 internationals against full members and disappointed in the Asia Cup.
Key players: Two words: Mohammad Amir. I'm intrigued to see how he deals with the pressure of the spotlight, but I hope he succeeds. I always felt his ban for spot fixing was harsh, and I'm glad we're being treated to his skill again. Just stay away from that no-ball line, boy!

Sri Lanka
They'll miss the experience and blockbuster nature of Muttiah Muralitharan, Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jaywardene. They have talent, of course, and a habit of winning this tournament. I think that they are in the process of bridging the gap between eras, though, and will struggle to impose themselves in India.
Key players: As aforementioned, the experience of Angelo Mathews and Lasith Malinga will be key due to the departure of star names in recent years.
Original post by Mackay
x

Disgusting post - what about Bangladesh? The same team who beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka only a week ago.

:colondollar:

Anyway Bangladesh squeak through against the Netherlands with an 8 run win.
Reply 26
Original post by Zerforax
Disgusting post - what about Bangladesh? The same team who beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka only a week ago.

:colondollar:

Anyway Bangladesh squeak through against the Netherlands with an 8 run win.

I'm waiting to see who advances with Bangladesh, then I'll post my thoughts on both. It'll likely be Zimbabwe, but I think it'll be tight. It may come down to net run rate.
Original post by Mackay
I'm waiting to see who advances with Bangladesh, then I'll post my thoughts on both. It'll likely be Zimbabwe, but I think it'll be tight. It may come down to net run rate.

Not an easy group with Ireland and Netherlands.

Will be a massive upset if Bangladesh don't make it through.
Original post by moment of truth

Not sure if it would be a massive upset. We've been beaten by Ireland before.

If it was an ODI tournament, I'd say it was a massive upset. T20 narrows the gap a little.

But yes, I think most people expect us to qualify for the main group stages after our Asia Cup performances (should be noted that tournament was at home).
Reply 30

Bangladesh should make it through. They are the most professional out of all the minnows, and showed good character and quality at the Asia Cup.

I'd back Zimbabwe to join them, but that Group is a real, real head-scratcher. Anybody could beat anybody.
Not sure if it would be a massive upset. We've been beaten by Ireland before.

If it was an ODI tournament, I'd say it was a massive upset. T20 narrows the gap a little.

But yes, I think most people expect us to qualify for the main group stages after our Asia Cup performances (should be noted that tournament was at home).

In my opinion, it would definitely be an upset. Everyone is expecting you to get through to the main draw, mainly due to your performances in the Asia Cup. Ireland are a good side, for sure, but it will be a massive disappointment if you don't make it. One of the main reasons why I think it would be an upset is cause of the conditions.

Original post by Mackay
Bangladesh should make it through. They are the most professional out of all the minnows, and showed good character and quality at the Asia Cup.

I'd back Zimbabwe to join them, but that Group is a real, real head-scratcher. Anybody could beat anybody.

Definitely. They also have the most experience against the top teams. In a T20 match, anything can happen though, evidently.

So would I. Zimbabwe or Afghanistan, for me.
Reply 32
In my opinion, it would definitely be an upset. Everyone is expecting you to get through to the main draw, mainly due to your performances in the Asia Cup. Ireland are a good side, for sure, but it will be a massive disappointment if you don't make it. One of the main reasons why I think it would be an upset is cause of the conditions.

Definitely. They also have the most experience against the top teams. In a T20 match, anything can happen though, evidently.

So would I. Zimbabwe or Afghanistan, for me.

Ireland have some good players - the O'Briens, Porterfield - but there's too big a chasm between their batting and bowling quality. Stirling is a good batsman and makes them not miss Joyce as much, but they lack bowling quality. In particular spin options.

It's interesting because two wins will send a side through. Anybody - on their day - is capable of that.
Original post by Mackay
Ireland have some good players - the O'Briens, Porterfield - but there's too big a chasm between their batting and bowling quality. Stirling is a good batsman and makes them not miss Joyce as much, but they lack bowling quality. In particular spin options.

It's interesting because two wins will send a side through. Anybody - on their day - is capable of that.

Yeah, I agree. The key match will be Ireland vs Bangladesh, unless Netherlands can beat Ireland.
Reply 34
Yeah, I agree. The key match will be Ireland vs Bangladesh, unless Netherlands can beat Ireland.

Take a read of my team previews, inspired by your own great analysis, above!
First upset of the tournament? C'mon Oman!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
First upset of the tournament? C'mon Oman!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started off really well.

Both openers out now but they're probably about where they would want to be. Hoping they don't collapse now..
Started off really well.

Both openers out now but they're probably about where they would want to be. Hoping they don't collapse now..

Yep, momentum has disappeared but they could still pull through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Yep, momentum has disappeared but they could still pull through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought it was over after that double wicket over and the RR coming down but they've pulled it back! 20 runs off the 17th over.

23 from 18 balls is do-able..
Wow already an upset! :biggrin:

Oman beat Ireland by 2 wickets with 2 balls remaining.

Quick Reply

Latest