The Student Room Group

S6 subject choices- 4 AHs?

Currently I am taking Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and geography at higher level. Predicted As for all.

For advanced higher I have chosen Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. I thought I might as well do geography because I find it really easy?
But people are telling me not because AHs are a lot of work and stuff.

What do you think of my choices?
Should I do these?
My other option is to take Higher Art instead of geography?

At uni, I want to do something along the lines of Maths/Engineering/Finance sort. Undecided though.
Do whatever you want. I did 4AHs and found it easy enough.

When you compare it to the workload you'll probably get at uni then AHs are nothing really.
Check individual university requirements. You would want to enjoy your 6th year :wink:
If you get all As in higher, you should be getting unconditionals from Scottish universities.
If you wanna go down the maths route, have you entered any maths competitions(might be helpful
If you wanna go down the engineering route, Do you have relevant work experience?
Higher art is quite time-consuming, apparently.
Original post by Mystery.

What do you think of my choices?
Should I do these?
My other option is to take Higher Art instead of geography?

At uni, I want to do something along the lines of Maths/Engineering/Finance sort. Undecided though.

Hey!

Those choices seem great. Advanced Highers can be quite demanding, but are definitely manageable. There is no point in stressing in your last year; make sure you are happy and comfortable with the workload.

AH in sciences tend to give the most workload. If you compare AH Physics and Maths, a big difference is that Physics will require you to do, what can sometimes be, a large individual project. Things may have changed since I did it, but it required a lot of outside work and more time-consuming learning/experimenting.

Maths and Physics will be paramount for what you're interested in, so it may be worth doing less AH's in order to do the best you can in them, if it's too much. I know plenty of people who did 4 AH's and managed great, I did 3 myself and had lots of time to relax but still learnt a lot which helped me at university. :smile:

Hope this helps!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending