The Student Room Group

M2 Statics Question

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 23.35.50.png

This question is confusing me, I've tried the method of joining the lines of action but I end up with " 2.5mg = 4tan(ø) x F " , which obviously doesn't lead to F = 25/32mg. I've looked at the solution bank and understand how they've done it, but I don't understand why the way I'm doing it is giving me the wrong answer :frown:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :h:
Reply 1
Original post by d14m

This question is confusing me, I've tried the method of joining the lines of action but I end up with " 2.5mg = 4tan(ø) x F " , which obviously doesn't lead to F = 25/32mg. I've looked at the solution bank and understand how they've done it, but I don't understand why the way I'm doing it is giving me the wrong answer :frown:

it will be better if you post a photo of your workings
Reply 2

I will be signing off now but I will tag one of the best of the room

@Zacken
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
it will be better if you post a photo of your workings

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 23.46.32.png
I thought the solution was something along these lines :confused:
Original post by d14m

Where did you find this question? I got F=25mg/72.
Reply 5
Original post by AlmostNotable
Where did you find this question? I got F=25mg/72.

It's in the M2 edexcel textbook, mixed exercise 5E

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Question 5 IIRC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d14m

Have you tried resolving and taking moments instead of a geometrical approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d14m
It's in the M2 edexcel textbook, mixed exercise 5E

Posted from TSR Mobile

Book is wrong. It is 25mg/72.
Reply 9
Oh wow, thanks for your help. I can't tell you how long I spent trying to figure out where I went wrong. Any other mistakes in statics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by d14m
Oh wow, thanks for your help. I can't tell you how long I spent trying to figure out where I went wrong. Any other mistakes in statics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a few if I recall. The M2 book is riddle with mistakes. Here's a PDF that might help you.
Reply 11
Thanks for this :smile: Self studying the module so this was desperately needed

Quick Reply

Latest