Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social science, arts, humanities, sciences. Which subjects come under these headings?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arts, social sciences, science, humanities?

Which subjects would you put under these headings? Some subjects I don't know which to put under like Geography. Is that a science? What are the differences between arts and humanties?
    Do different universities tell you what kind of subject it is in the title (Bsc)?
    Why do some unis describe one subject as a science and other unis describe it as an art? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.
    Is the title better now?

So what is the title given to Social sciences and humanities? Can it either be BA or BSc?

Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The boundaries are blurred. Geography, for example, fits under all of your headings.

And you're wasting you're time on the whole BA/BSc thing to be honest as they're both equivilant and can be awarded for pretty much any subject. As a general rule BA is awarded for arts and social sciences, while BSc is for sciences, but there are plenty of exceptions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Law would fit into social sciences or humanities I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiasax)
    Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:
    At some institutions you can get onto a medical program with any degree, but most require a bioscience. It's a very long topic. If you don't have a bioscience undergraduate degree you may be required to have related A-levels with good results and/or sit a rather daunting entrance exam.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say:

Arts
    English
    Languages
    Art
    Music
    Drama
    Media/film
    Journalism

Humanities
    Geography
    History
    RE

Social sciences
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Politics
    Economics
    Law

Sciences
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths

There are a few I'm not sure of though, like whether philosophy and business are arts or social sciences, and there is a lot of crossover. Generally the first three categories are BA and the latter BSc, but with some subjects you can get either depending on what modules you take. For example, I think physical geography is a BSc and human geography is a BA.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oooh thanks!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.
    Yeah, I didn't want to include anything like engineering or medicine etc because someone in another thread was discussing how they aren't pure science and since I know nothing about science, I didn't want to get into all that :p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2007
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.