The Student Room Group

Can you study nursing if you have mental health

I wanted to study nursing but my foster mum said no cus I have mental health and wouldn't be able to do 12 hour shifts but it's what I wanted to do
Don't give in to the lies you're being fed. If you want to do it you will; nothing can stop you.
Original post by glamourprincess
I wanted to study nursing but my foster mum said no cus I have mental health and wouldn't be able to do 12 hour shifts but it's what I wanted to do

Depends how good your mental health is :P
Original post by shawn_o1
Don't give in to the lies you're being fed. If you want to do it you will; nothing can stop you.

Ok thanks
Original post by XMaramena
Depends how good your mental health is :P

I have psychotic depression
I have psychotic depression

You will normally be asked for an occupational health assessment before starting work.

From looking at your other posts etc I'd say you would need to ensure your mental health is stable and under control as such before you can do a course such as nursing. It's very stressful and can be overwhelming at the best of times.
Many people do nursing who have mental and physical health problems but I'd say even for your own health, make sure you're stable first.
It can be a difficult course to do and you would need to do an access course and or your gcses first to strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
From looking at your other posts etc I'd say you would need to ensure your mental health is stable and under control as such before you can do a course such as nursing. It's very stressful and can be overwhelming at the best of times.
Many people do nursing who have mental and physical health problems but I'd say even for your own health, make sure you're stable first.
It can be a difficult course to do and you would need to do an access course and or your gcses first to strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand
I think it depends on whether your mental health problem will actually affect your ability to perform correctly in the job :smile: many people have depression but it doesn't always mean they can't be nurses!!! Of course they can. But if they know they're not going to go to work every other day because of it then I'd think about it, try to sort it out then get to uni :biggrin: just think of your own wellbeing as nursing is quite a challenging course in terms of time management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending