The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by txmz.00
Does anyone have an easy way of working out the different probabilities i am having difficulty understanding probability cannot get my head around it.

Are you referring to notation like Venn diagrams?
Reply 41
Original post by Dominator1

Thank you
Reply 42
Original post by Glib
Are you referring to notation like Venn diagrams?

No it is the whole working out and just the concept of of working out the answer of what i should do first etc
Reply 43
Original post by txmz.00
No it is the whole working out and just the concept of of working out the answer of what i should do first etc

Can you give me an example of a question? I will try to help
Reply 44
Original post by Glib
Can you give me an example of a question? I will try to help

oh i mean is there general steps you can follow when answering a probability question for instance, when working out the conditional probability what you would do
Hi guys,

In normal distribution questions, are we supposed to only use values given in the big/small table or are we allowed to use the values given in our calculators?

For example, there is this one question from May 2010 that asked us to find the upper quartile (question 7 summer 2010). To do this, obviously it's p(D<Q3) = 0.75. (D is the variable). The value for 0.75 is not exactly in the big table (and 0.25 isn't in the small table either). How exactly are we supposed to deal with questions like this?

Many thanks :smile:

Chris
Original post by chris51333
Hi guys,

In normal distribution questions, are we supposed to only use values given in the big/small table or are we allowed to use the values given in our calculators?

For example, there is this one question from May 2010 that asked us to find the upper quartile (question 7 summer 2010). To do this, obviously it's p(D<Q3) = 0.75. (D is the variable). The value for 0.75 is not exactly in the big table (and 0.25 isn't in the small table either). How exactly are we supposed to deal with questions like this?

Many thanks :smile:

Chris

In cases like this you have to use the number closest to what you're looking for. So in the big table the closest you can get to 0.75 is 0.7486 which has a z value of 0.67 and so you use this. Im guessing you know what to do from here but if you need help let me know
Original post by 4nonymous
In cases like this you have to use the number closest to what you're looking for. So in the big table the closest you can get to 0.75 is 0.7486 which has a z value of 0.67 and so you use this. Im guessing you know what to do from here but if you need help let me know

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I get that idea. It's just that in the "model answers" that my teacher gave me, the writer wrote an exact value like 0.67__ something (I forgot the exact value). I heard you can work it out in the calculator but I don't really know how. Are we expected to use the calculator? I assume not..

Also, when using the value of 0.67 in subsequent answers, must we round our answers to 2sf as 0.67 is only accurate to 2sf. Everything's a bit confusing!

Does anyone else have a different take on this? I tried looking at the S1 specifications booklet but that is of no help so far.
Yeah, to the above discussion, I never use my calculator and I always find the answers in either one of the tables.
Still gets the correct answer.b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chris51333
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I get that idea. It's just that in the "model answers" that my teacher gave me, the writer wrote an exact value like 0.67__ something (I forgot the exact value). I heard you can work it out in the calculator but I don't really know how. Are we expected to use the calculator? I assume not..

Also, when using the value of 0.67 in subsequent answers, must we round our answers to 2sf as 0.67 is only accurate to 2sf. Everything's a bit confusing!

Does anyone else have a different take on this? I tried looking at the S1 specifications booklet but that is of no help so far.

You can use you're calculator when working out the answer if you prefer (if you have casio fx-82GT plus, its not possible but you can do it on casio fx-991es plus. let me know if you need help on showing you how to do it), but for you're final answer give it to the same number of significant figures as those that are in the table
This is probably a silly question but as I'm self-taught I don't really know the layout of the S1 exam... Do we get given any formulas for the exam? I noticed that there were formula books on the table for the C1 and C2 exams but never get round to looking at them. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also does anyone have any good resources about histograms and Normal/Standard Distribution? They're the types of questions I lose the most marks on :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Philip-flop
This is probably a silly question but as I'm self-taught I don't really know the layout of the S1 exam... Do we get given any formulas for the exam? I noticed that there were formula books on the table for the C1 and C2 exams but never get round to looking at them. Thanks in advance.

The formula book is a major part of the s1 exam. need it for regression, correlation, normal distribution + some other helpful ones (like probability)
You want to practice using it before the exam
Original post by candol
The formula book is a major part of the s1 exam. need it for regression, correlation, normal distribution + some other helpful ones (like probability)
You want to practice using it before the exam

Thank you. All this time, I thought I had to remember the formulas off-by-heart!!
Is there a PDF file or something that is similar to the formula book that will be given to us in the exam?
Reply 53
Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you. All this time, I thought I had to remember the formulas off-by-heart!!
Is there a PDF file or something that is similar to the formula book that will be given to us in the exam?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

try that and download one of the maths formulae pdf files

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!! These formulas look much more intimidating than the ones I've been trying to remember :frown:
Reply 55
Could someone explain this to me? I don't get what it means by the average.
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/probability.pdf

Q44 there is a symbol i have not seen before - is that part of the spec?

q48 is this kind of qn in the spec? Haven't seen anything like it before in papers or in the book
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza

q48 is this kind of qn in the spec? Haven't seen anything like it before in papers or in the book

Yep :smile: and about Q44, I've seen the sign for it, I don't think your supposed to know it tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by target21859
Could someone explain this to me? I don't get what it means by the average.

The full question is most likely needed.

Original post by tazza ma razza

Q44 there is a symbol i have not seen before - is that part of the spec?

Which symbol? AA'? AA' is the same as AcA^c.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending