The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SeanFM
The full question is most likely needed.

Which symbol? AA'? AA' is the same as AcA^c.

image.png
Original post by target21859
image.png

The average is just the sum given in the question (63840) divided by the old n (10) to give that number. Then, you are adding 2 more (and so increasing n by 2) but you are adding less than the old average, so this means that the new average will be lower than before (confusing I know, but try it yourself with the numbers (2,3,5,7,9) - the average of that group of numbers is 5.2 - what happens to the average when you add numbers that are lower than 5.2? (eg 1 and 4). You could see the reverse effect if you add numbers greater than 5.2 (eg 8,10).
Reply 62
Original post by SeanFM
The average is just the sum given in the question (63840) divided by the old n (10) to give that number. Then, you are adding 2 more (and so increasing n by 2) but you are adding less than the old average, so this means that the new average will be lower than before (confusing I know, but try it yourself with the numbers (2,3,5,7,9) - the average of that group of numbers is 5.2 - what happens to the average when you add numbers that are lower than 5.2? (eg 1 and 4). You could see the reverse effect if you add numbers greater than 5.2 (eg 8,10).

Oh I see. Thanks :smile: All I'm doing is maths all day and it's hurting my brain xD
Original post by target21859
Oh I see. Thanks :smile: All I'm doing is maths all day and it's hurting my brain xD

No worries :hat2: I think take a break in that case :rofl: or call it a night.
What's the best way to revise for S1? I've given up on past papers because they didn't seem to prepare me much for both the C1 and C2 exams (mainly C1 though). I need a way of learning all the topics without wasting too much time doing papers but questions that will help me be prepared for the exam. Any ideas?

Also, as there are so many ways to work out the Lower and Upper Quartiles, what do you think is the most effective way?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Philip-flop
What's the best way to revise for S1? I've given up on past papers because they didn't seem to prepare me much for both the C1 and C2 exams (mainly C1 though). I need a way of learning all the topics without wasting too much time doing papers but questions that will help me be prepared for the exam. Any ideas?

Also, as there are so many ways to work out the Lower and Upper Quartiles, what do you think is the most effective way?

Do the mixed excercises in your textbook. That way you'll know what you know well and don't know well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
solved.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is 5 days enough time to prepare for S1? I am currently prioritising Chem and bio
Original post by BTC - B'ham
Guys there is some excellent Crash courses being taught at Birmingham Tuition Centre. Edexcel S1 and M1 Taught in 12 hours throughly over two days. Students in previous years have found very useful and gained 90+ ums

hey could you send me more information on this please
Reply 69
Haven't started S1 revision yet :/

Go through the textbook to understand the concept, if you're still struggle then go over ExamSolutions or other channels (here's a playlist full of S1 videos). After you finish a few chapters, do the question by topics booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor. Then when you feel confident for all the topics, start past paper :tongue:

For lower quartile, use n/4, use 3n/4 for upper quartile where n = number of sample/data collected (something along that line). If you think a about it, quartile = quarter, since 2 quarters is a half then above that is the upper, and below is the lower.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Is 5 days enough time to prepare for S1? I am currently prioritising Chem and bio
I reckon that a maths modules can all be learnt in a week. As long as you use your time effectively you should be fine (I haven't even started, and been prioritising FP2 and Bio)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk

Go through the textbook to understand the concept, if you're still struggle then go over ExamSolutions or other channels (here's a playlist full of S1 videos). After you finish a few chapters, do the question by topics booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor. Then when you feel confident for all the topics, start past paper :tongue:

For lower quartile, use n/4, use 3n/4 for upper quartile where n = number of sample/data collected (something along that line). If you think a about it, quartile = quarter, since 2 quarters is a half then above that is the upper, and below is the lower.

i am terrible at s1 and had 20 days to revise it but sillily slacked off and now I have 11 days can i get an A
Original post by kkboyk

I reckon that a maths modules can all be learnt in a week. As long as you use your time effectively you should be fine (I haven't even started, and been prioritising FP2 and Bio)

yeah i think 5 days is enough tbh because im already good with all the easy stuff :biggrin:. but idk some people have been telling me to not underestimate S1
Reply 72
Original post by SuperHuman98
yeah i think 5 days is enough tbh because im already good with all the easy stuff :biggrin:. but idk some people have been telling me to not underestimate S1

I struggle on the easier stuffs like histogram :colondollar: S1 is far easier than the other modules, and has a nice grade boundaries. However, it's very easy to make mistakes.

Original post by Azim101
i am terrible at s1 and had 20 days to revise it but sillily slacked off and now I have 11 days can i get an A

You can if you do what I had suggested in my previous reply (which is what I am doing for all my Maths modules, and getting high As).

Stats will probably be quite standard tbh. Practice the international A Level papers just in case but I can't see it being any different to how it is.

I'd do the chapter-by-chapter exam question packs that are on Physics And Maths Tutor as they seperated every single exam question into all the main sections.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Hey guys, I've been doing some past papers recently and I always seem to struggle with questions about the effect something has on the mean, SD etc. For example, Question 4 f) in June 2013
(https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202013%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf), how do I know what effect each student taking 5 minutes less to do an exam will have on the mean, median, IQR and Standard Deviation?

Another example is question 1 d) in June 2011 (https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202011%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf) What will the new value of Shh be?

Also, how do I know whether the estimate of the mean or the median is a better estimate to use to represent something?
Thanks in advance guys! :smile:
Original post by Egge
Hey guys, I've been doing some past papers recently and I always seem to struggle with questions about the effect something has on the mean, SD etc. For example, Question 4 f) in June 2013
(https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202013%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf), how do I know what effect each student taking 5 minutes less to do an exam will have on the mean, median, IQR and Standard Deviation?

Another example is question 1 d) in June 2011 (https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202011%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf) What will the new value of Shh be?

Also, how do I know whether the estimate of the mean or the median is a better estimate to use to represent something?
Thanks in advance guys! :smile:

Well all the values are being divided by 1000. So divide your original Shh by a thousand and you'll have your answer.
Just did this question and the answer says it should be divided by 1000000 and I can't see why?!
Original post by neil20143
Well all the values are being divided by 1000. So divide your original Shh by a thousand and you'll have your answer.

Just did this question and it says to divide by 1000000 and I can't see why?!
Reply 79
been doing past papes and getting low A's. I hate this module im resitting this also, just need a B/c to overall an A for AS maths

Quick Reply

Latest