The Student Room Group

Current/grad architecture students

I was wondering if any current or graduate architecture students would like to recommend any books/tools etc for 1st/2nd year.

Or maybe any advice on how new students can survive and how you are finding/found architecture :biggrin:
A world history of Architecture is particularly good for my history course as it covers all eras and everything you need to know.
Spiro Kostof's "A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals" is the comprehensive and academically acclaimed book on architectural history. If you're going to read anything read this. Another more design focused classic is Bachelard's "The Poetics of Space".

In terms of tools... all the obvious... drawing board, scalpels, cutting mat, set squares, mechanical pencils, tracing paper, sketch books, I'd wait until you start though and just get stuff as you need it, otherwise you might waste money on stuff you don't use much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Farchitect
Spiro Kostof's "A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals" is the comprehensive and academically acclaimed book on architectural history. If you're going to read anything read this. Another more design focused classic is Bachelard's "The Poetics of Space".

In terms of tools... all the obvious... drawing board, scalpels, cutting mat, set squares, mechanical pencils, tracing paper, sketch books, I'd wait until you start though and just get stuff as you need it, otherwise you might waste money on stuff you don't use much.

Thank you. Did you find yourself using many scrap materials to build models that you had laying about like cardboard etc? Would you advise saving bits like this
Original post by Jessicalw23
Thank you. Did you find yourself using many scrap materials to build models that you had laying about like cardboard etc? Would you advise saving bits like this

I saved up loads of bits like that before I started, and did use them to begin with, but to be perfectly honest, your models will look so much better if you use proper, clean modelling card, especially for photographs and stuff. So unless you're seriously broke, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 5
Original post by Farchitect
I saved up loads of bits like that before I started, and did use them to begin with, but to be perfectly honest, your models will look so much better if you use proper, clean modelling card, especially for photographs and stuff. So unless you're seriously broke, I wouldn't bother.

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending