The Student Room Group

Which university to choose for strategy consulting?

Hi guys, I'll try to keep this brief. I'm aware that outside of Oxbridge and LSE there isn't really any such thing as a target for strat consulting and there isn't much between the rest, will it make any difference which university I choose out of Durham (Econ), St Andrews (Econ) and Warwick (Management) in terms of my overall chances considering that they're all non targets? Or do I have roughly the same chance from all 3?
Thank you for your time!

Edit: Does it make any difference that the Durham consulting society is sponsored by OW or that Warwick would give me the opportunity to spend a year abroad at a multitude of world top 20 business schools where top firms recruit?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Earl Campbell
Hi guys, I'll try to keep this brief. I'm aware that outside of Oxbridge and LSE there isn't really any such thing as a target for strat consulting and there isn't much between the rest, will it make any difference which university I choose out of Durham (Econ), St Andrews (Econ) and Warwick (Management) in terms of my overall chances considering that they're all non targets? Or do I have roughly the same chance from all 3?
Thank you for your time!

You'd be correct that other universities aren't really targeted for strategy consulting, but the are some that MBB/tier 2 firms visit (for presentations, networking etc) than others. You can usually find out whether they visit the universities in question via the consulting firms' websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You'd be correct that other universities aren't really targeted for strategy consulting, but the are some that MBB/tier 2 firms visit (for presentations, networking etc) than others. You can usually find out whether they visit the universities in question via the consulting firms' websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Than you your prompt reply! From the firms that I looked at, Warwick and Durham have more firms hosting events/separate application email at Bain and BCG. Not sure if it makes any difference but in terms of on campus recruiting MBB visit universities a few of WBS' year abroad partners whereas Durham have only one USA partner, (the majority of their top partners being in Canada and East Asia) meaning that I may get more case study exposure from the Warwick year abroad. In my position, which do you think you'd pick?
Original post by Earl Campbell
Than you your prompt reply! From the firms that I looked at, Warwick and Durham have more firms hosting events/separate application email at Bain and BCG. Not sure if it makes any difference but in terms of on campus recruiting MBB visit universities a few of WBS' year abroad partners whereas Durham have only one USA partner, (the majority of their top partners being in Canada and East Asia) meaning that I may get more case study exposure from the Warwick year abroad. In my position, which do you think you'd pick?

Warwick 100%, and your reasoning is pretty much how I'd approach it too :smile:

Hopefully see you on campus this October dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Hopefully see you on campus this October dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise, judging from your career goals I'm guessing we'll both be part of the Finance and Consulting societies so yep, see you in October!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending