The Student Room Group

Year in industry

So I was thinking of applying to YINI and had a few questions. What kind of practical skills can I contribute to the company? How likely are people able to gt a placement? When should I apply by? If anyone has got a placement offer or has already done a year in industry please share any info
Original post by _JOKER_
So I was thinking of applying to YINI and had a few questions. What kind of practical skills can I contribute to the company? How likely are people able to gt a placement? When should I apply by? If anyone has got a placement offer or has already done a year in industry please share any info

Hi, I left school last July and gained a place to do Architecture at Uni (starting September 2015), during the summer I decided to change course to Engineering taking the time out for a gap year and re-applying for Courses starting 2016. I first applied for YinI in September, however best advice is to apply ASAP for the best and longer placements. It took me one unsuccessful interview and until January to start my placement, however they wait has been totally worthwhile. I'm working within the Car industry, supplying parts for the Nissan factory in Sunderland, the job is rewarding and is a maturing experience.

Answering your questions;

Practical skills depends on you, but you need good enthusiasm and work ethic as you will experience a different environment to school.

Likelihood on getting a placement is quite high, given the availabilty on the website, however you must be employable!

Get in touch with YinI asap, however there is no cut off point for applications.

hope this helps, cheers
I disagree, the chances of getting a Year in Industry are actually very low, there's not that many available at all, especially if you're not doing mechanical engineering. I go to a university with a good reputation and strong industrial links and literally can't name a single person who's gotten a YinI after second year and there are only 2 or 3 who managed it after third year, those having very good academic records and being involved in course related committee roles.
Reply 3
Original post by _JOKER_

I'm currently in my first year at uni and took a year out with YINI last year.

I applied as early as possible and got offered a placement at my first interview but had quite a few more interviews lined up had I not got it. I think that so long as you are open to a wide range of options for the year, you should have a good chance of gaining a placement. The earlier you apply, the more chance you have of getting one though!

You'll be surprised at how much you can contribute to the company. I was told many a time that grads often have very similar level practical skills to YINI students. Although obviously they have more knowledge in many areas. You'll find that if you're placement is in a very specific area, you wouldn't have learnt very much about it at uni anyway and would have been learning on the job.

The process of applying for a YINI in itself is also very rewarding. They give you help in putting your CV together as well as workshops and interview practice. I found my interview with my placement company a great experience too as it involved completing many tests and tasks I'll likely have to do at any future companies.

So, if you're considering applying for a YINI, I highly recommend it.
I loved the time I spent on mine and feel far better prepared for any future jobs.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.

:biggrin:

EDIT: This was all referring to a pre-university placement. But if you are currently at uni, I can't help you with knowing how likely you are to get a placement but know people who have done them and benefited hugely as a result.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest