The Student Room Group

Imperial maths or Warwick Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indeterminate
The GCSE thing is one reason why. What also contributes is the fact that Warwick are prepared to accept A*AA, whereas ICL require a minimum of two A* grades :bigsmile:
:laugh:

I think in the early 2000s for two consecutive years the Warwick maths course was the destination for the person with the highest number of grade A A-levels in the country. Does that mean the course was better than Cambridge or the students more intelligent? 😂
So many delusioned people here...
Reply 82
Original post by Incongruous
So many delusioned people here...

Enlighten us then :tongue:
That was a fun read. Heartbreaking at times too.
Original post by DinduMuffin
Imperial is full of Warwick rejects, trust me I've been there. AVOID

:lolwut: Imperial>Warwick.
Reply 85
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
:lolwut: Imperial>Warwick.

I am quite sure that the guy is a troll
Though I would say that is very debatable where maths is concerned, I doubt that many would accept offers to both Warwick and Imperial so such a situation shouldn't happen much
@TeeEm is there any chance of you writing an auto-blog-graphy (autobiography), I imagine it would be very interesting :smile:
Original post by Inert1a
Hmm. This slightly worries me I must say... I was rejected by oxford late 2015 after I had a completely off day on the MAT. And just to highlight the extent of such an 'off day' I somehow calculated that I had until 12:15 (exam started at 9;15) making it a 3 hour exam, but it was actually a 2 and a half hour exam :|. I **** you not. I'm still kinda considering reapplying if I get the grades after A2, but Im unsure about everything right now to be honest.

You have nothing to worry about mate, build up the requisite background (a well rounded CV, involvement in societies etc) and you shouldn't have much of an issue.

I have friends at Sheffield/Leeds that have landed FO jobs because they were dedicated (caveat: it should be slightly easier to land an interview coming from a target university, and rightly so many more people land them vs non-targets) to the process and made a solid impression at interview. There is little if any preferential treatment amongst target uni grads - in fact, Warwick/LSE have been dominating recently as a proportion of the grad intake classes vs Oxbridge.

I also got rejected by Ox too, life goes on bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CharlieGEM
If I'm being honest, unless you come out with a decent grade from Oxbridge you are really screwed as well without decent connections. I know of a 2.2 Oxford maths graduate that sells children's toys for a living, and a Cambridge maths dropout that hasn't found work in two years. So keep that in mind as well.

Most of the maths grads who got the decent jobs were those who went to private school or had the financial backing to work poorly paid carer development jobs to set themselves up.

That sucks about the MAT.

Thats the exception if I am honest.

I have just graduated from Oxbridge in maths, and anyone with passable social skills gets sensational job opportunities. And if you don't, work hard and you'll get a top phd.
Original post by Princepieman
You have nothing to worry about mate, build up the requisite background (a well rounded CV, involvement in societies etc) and you shouldn't have much of an issue.

I have friends at Sheffield/Leeds that have landed FO jobs because they were dedicated (caveat: it should be slightly easier to land an interview coming from a target university, and rightly so many more people land them vs non-targets) to the process and made a solid impression at interview. There is little if any preferential treatment amongst target uni grads - in fact, Warwick/LSE have been dominating recently as a proportion of the grad intake classes vs Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which I personally think is absolutely terrible.
Original post by Sabster
Which I personally think is absolutely terrible.

It's life mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll save lots of money going to Warwick and get a more traditional/better university experience.

If you love London and have loads of money then Imperial is great.
It's life mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's poor recruiting by the banks IMO (this isn't bitterness - I have and had a number of FO banking offers).

IMO it leads to hiring more 'plodders' (sorry for the poor word but hopefully you get what I mean) rather than talented interesting people.
Original post by Sabster
I think it's poor recruiting by the banks IMO (this isn't bitterness - I have and had a number of FO banking offers).

IMO it leads to hiring more 'plodders' (sorry for the poor word but hopefully you get what I mean) rather than talented interesting people.

Or, it's less elitist?

Have you for one second realised how silly you sound slating people who have gotten on to top courses at LSE/Warwick/Imperial/UCL as being 'plodders'? I mean, come on..

These people are bright, varied and interesting - you kind of have to be if you actually end up being successful in gaining an FO offer. No banker is going to select a deadweight who they can't see themselves working with.

As it stands, anyone from a target is given equal standing, a solid stream of talent from semi-targets trickle in and then the exceptional non-target kids break in too. FO banking recruitment right now is probably the least elitist it's been in decades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or, it's less elitist?

Have you for one second realised how silly you sound slating people who have gotten on to top courses at LSE/Warwick/Imperial/UCL as being 'plodders'? I mean, come on..

These people are bright, varied and interesting - you kind of have to be if you actually end up being successful in gaining an FO offer. No banker is going to select a deadweight who they can't see themselves working with.

As it stands, anyone from a target is given equal standing, a solid stream of talent from semi-targets trickle in and then the exceptional non-target kids break in too. FO banking recruitment right now is probably the least elitist it's been in decades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's about being less elitist.

It's about the fact that in an 8 week oxbridge term, most people are so busy that they barely have a chance to think about banking. This could not be further from the truth for people at Warwick/LSE.

I think its absolutely ridiculous that Warwick/LSE outnumber Oxbridge by a factor of 4 or 5, given the fact Oxbridge is more selective (and as such, to some extent, has a larger talent pool).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 95

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say that warwick is a target uni, are you precisely talking about maths grads, because I know some people who have offers of only 3As studying engineering etc?
Original post by Sabster
Thats the exception if I am honest.

I have just graduated from Oxbridge in maths, and anyone with passable social skills gets sensational job opportunities. And if you don't, work hard and you'll get a top phd.

Got a top PhD.

Depends in which environment we're talking about passable social skills 😉

The average starting salary for Oxford maths grads isn't that high so maybe not too sensational.
Original post by Sabster
I don't think it's about being less elitist.

It's about the fact that in an 8 week oxbridge term, most people are so busy that they barely have a chance to think about banking. This could not be further from the truth for people at Warwick/LSE.

I think its absolutely ridiculous that Warwick/LSE outnumber Oxbridge by a factor of 4 or 5, given the fact Oxbridge is more selective (and as such, to some extent, has a larger talent pool).

😂 by the way I turned down an interview at Oxford and the guy that graduated 2nd in the year turned down a place at Oxford to go to Warwick.
Original post by Inert1a
When you say that warwick is a target uni, are you precisely talking about maths grads, because I know some people who have offers of only 3As studying engineering etc?

I'm talking about Warwick as a whole being a target. Although, more kids from Econ/Maths tend to be inclined towards IB, the uni as a whole is targeted.
Original post by CharlieGEM
😂 by the way I turned down an interview at Oxford and the guy that graduated 2nd in the year turned down a place at Oxford to go to Warwick.

Exactly, people at Warwick are absolutely deserving of any FO offers they get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending