The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You do only need 40% in the module overall. There doesn't seem to be examples of past resit papers but their format is just like ordinary exams, it's just like another year of them.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
lacy
I thought (for Level 1 anyway) that you only need 40% overall for each module

from an e-mail I got last year:
"If you get a mark of 40% overall, you would usually be deemed to have passed the module and would not be required to resit anything.
If you get less than 40% for your overall module mark, you'd usually be required to resit the components that you'd failed (i.e. a component mark of less than 40%); you would not normally be required to resit the components that you had passed (i.e. a mark of 40% or above)."

So let me get this straight. If you have a double module and get 39% in one paper and 40% in another, you've failed overall so you only resit the 39% paper.

If you get 39% in one paper and 70% or so in the second paper you've passed overall so don't resit anything?
if you take a resit paper, does it mean that only the marks from the resit will be accounted, and the marks before will be forgone ?

If that is the case, if someone got a second lower class, can he/she take a resit paper to get a second upper class ?
Reply 23
Popcorn
So let me get this straight. If you have a double module and get 39% in one paper and 40% in another, you've failed overall so you only resit the 39% paper.

If you get 39% in one paper and 70% or so in the second paper you've passed overall so don't resit anything?

As far as I know that is correct.

psycho
if you take a resit paper, does it mean that only the marks from the resit will be accounted, and the marks before will be forgone ?

If that is the case, if someone got a second lower class, can he/she take a resit paper to get a second upper class ?

No because the most you can get at a resit is 40% no matter how well you did, they cap the marks at 40.
Popcorn

That is definately the case.

Except I think if you fail a double module then you would retake both papers regardless of your individual marks on each paper
Reply 25
I heard that it was £50 each for each module you retake, could someone tell me if this is true?
Yep, that's true
Will be interesting to see how many of the people who are currently worrying about their exams will actually have to do resits when the results come out
Itchynscratchy
That is definitely the case.

Except I think if you fail a double module then you would retake both papers regardless of your individual marks on each paper

I've been told otherwise: that you are only allowed to retake components which you failed. Might differ from department to department I suppose.
Applying4Maths
I've been told otherwise: that you are only allowed to retake components which you failed. Might differ from department to department I suppose.

I was under that impression as well. For example if I received 42% in the practical/coursework marks, I have passed that component and therefore wouldn't be able to resit it if I failed the overall module (by doing really badly on the exam).

Edit: Although my Physics friend says differently, so it might depend on the department

Alex
Just out of interest when do we get our results and how do we get them? I can't find it on the website anywhere.
lacy
No because the most you can get at a resit is 40% no matter how well you did, they cap the marks at 40.

That's not fair. They should be allowed to take resit papers and set the maximum mark as 70%. Why students with marks below 40% are given a second chance, whereas students below 70% don't ?
psycho
That's not fair. They should be allowed to take resit papers and set the maximum mark as 70%. Why students with marks below 40% are given a second chance, whereas students below 70% don't ?

I guess it's because those who have passed have attained a high enough level of knowledge to proceed to the next year? And meh,it you don't get the grade you expected but still passed...well,you should have worked harder,tough.I know the same should go for those who fail,but well,they might not come back next year,those who got 40% will,regardless of how they do at resit.
Reply 33
chocolateflake99
I guess it's because those who have passed have attained a high enough level of knowledge to proceed to the next year? And meh,it you don't get the grade you expected but still passed...well,you should have worked harder,tough.I know the same should go for those who fail,but well,they might not come back next year,those who got 40% will,regardless of how they do at resit.

The person above I know on msn. He told me all your first year marks as well as 2nd-4th year marks for every module you sit are put on your degree certificate. Is this true?
I would doubt it. That would seem to me to eliminate the point of classing them
psycho

Because they cost money, and how well you do in your degree should not depend in part as to whether or not you can afford to take your exams over and over again.
Reply 36
What, like A-levels? :wink:
Exactly yes. You can't tell me that that is a good system, and the degree would go the same if people were taking resits all over the place. If you didn't do as well as you thought you should well too bad, get over it.
Reply 38
Hehe, in (most) European universities, you can just keep taking the exams over and over again until you pass them, and they don't cost anything. This is why many people take up to 10 years to finish their degrees!
Reply 39
psycho

It's totally fair. It would be ridiculous if everyone were allowed to keep retaking, particularly if you lived far away and couldn't afford to keep travelling up and paying for resits. And imagine if you got 60, then someone who hadn't put any effort in and had got 30 retook and got 70? I think the system's fine the way it is.

Are first years allowed to fail one module? I've heard this a lot but have no idea if it's true.

Latest