The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History (new): Route G - Nationalism, Dictatorship and Democracy 20th Cent

Paper 1 - Wednesday 18th May 2016 (pm) - 2hrs 15mins
Paper 2 - Wednesday 25th May 2016 (pm) - 1hr 30mins

You know what these threads are for :smile:

I'll try and find some useful stuff to put in the OP.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg

Finally, I found a thread about this exam. I've been scouring the forums for... well, actually I've only been scouring it for 5 minutes but still :smile:

I'm currently taking Germany 1918-89 and Francoism (Spain).

I would totally recommend http://alphahistory.com/. It has documents and articles about the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany with names of historian being linked in some statements helping you add some points and extra research to your essays. I also find it helpful to highlight specific articles in the weimar constitution so I kinda found the entire article or at least the english translation of it. I'm still not sure if it's accurate but article 48 fits the bill so I'm pretty sure it's correct. http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/pdf/eng/ghi_wr_weimarconstitution_Eng.pdf

Btw, OP, is this the official exam thread? I'm planning to link it to the OP of the A-level exam thread directory to add it in.
Reply 2
Original post by Firenze26
Finally, I found a thread about this exam. I've been scouring the forums for... well, actually I've only been scouring it for 5 minutes but still :smile:

I'm currently taking Germany 1918-89 and Francoism (Spain).

I would totally recommend http://alphahistory.com/. It has documents and articles about the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany with names of historian being linked in some statements helping you add some points and extra research to your essays. I also find it helpful to highlight specific articles in the weimar constitution so I kinda found the entire article or at least the english translation of it. I'm still not sure if it's accurate but article 48 fits the bill so I'm pretty sure it's correct. http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/pdf/eng/ghi_wr_weimarconstitution_Eng.pdf

Btw, OP, is this the official exam thread? I'm planning to link it to the OP of the A-level exam thread directory to add it in.

This is the official exam thread for route G! I'm surprised so few are taking it, because many schools like continuing Nazi Germany onto A-level purely because it's easier and more interesting.

I'd also recommend the access to history books!
Reply 3
Original post by jamestg

Hey are you also doing 2O AQA History ?
Democracy and Nazism :Germany 1918-1945 ?
Reply 4
Hi, could anyone give me some advice on the source question in paper 2. I am doing Italy for that one and don't quite know how to approach questions like these.
Original post by veryambitchious
Hi, could anyone give me some advice on the source question in paper 2. I am doing Italy for that one and don't quite know how to approach questions like these.

One of the advice my teacher gave is to avoid judging it by its reliability.

Remember that just because it is bias, it doesn't mean that it is useless as it gives you insight on a perspective. Always use dates and link each quote to an event. You don't need to write an intro except, maybe, if its a 12 marker.

Always link back to the question. Don't lose focus. If they're asking how useful it is in showing Mussolini's cult of personality or Il Duce, link it back to that and not at other points.

You can still judge it by its provenance though by saying how, for example, it is useful due to the fact that it shows the political climate or tension during the period.

There are subtle differences between the 12 marker and the 8 marker so I'd suggest that you try and find that out.

I hope this helps. Sorry I can't say anything more specific cause I'm doing Spain instead. Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the advice my teacher gave is to avoid judging it by its reliability.

Remember that just because it is bias, it doesn't mean that it is useless as it gives you insight on a perspective. Always use dates and link each quote to an event. You don't need to write an intro except, maybe, if its a 12 marker.

Always link back to the question. Don't lose focus. If they're asking how useful it is in showing Mussolini's cult of personality or Il Duce, link it back to that and not at other points.

You can still judge it by its provenance though by saying how, for example, it is useful due to the fact that it shows the political climate or tension during the period.

There are subtle differences between the 12 marker and the 8 marker so I'd suggest that you try and find that out.

I hope this helps. Sorry I can't say anything more specific cause I'm doing Spain instead. Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for telling me about the bias thing. I always said that a source wouldn't be useful if it was biased.

Good luck with your revision :biggrin:
Reply 8
Just finished revising the opposition section and got some lovely questions that could potentially come up.

PART A
"The biggest threat to the Nazi regime between 1933-45 was opposition from the church" - to what extent do you agree with this view?

PART B
"Opposition from the far right was been the biggest threat between 1918-89" - to what extent is this true?
Reply 9
Does anyone know how to answer the weight questions? I'm doing Germany and Italian Fascism
Original post by j_dot
Does anyone know how to answer the weight questions? I'm doing Germany and Italian Fascism

Are you talking about the 20 marker in Germany or the 8/12 marker question in Italian Fascism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Are you talking about the 20 marker in Germany or the 8/12 marker question in Italian Fascism?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fine with 20mkr they're essay questions - the weight question is a 12 marker. I've dug up the markscheme for anyone who's interested. I still don't fully understand how to answer the question though.
Reply 12
Original post by j_dot
I'm fine with 20mkr they're essay questions - the weight question is a 12 marker. I've dug up the markscheme for anyone who's interested. I still don't fully understand how to answer the question though.

You're best off emailing your teacher and asking to spend a lunchtime going through it!

Just revise the content for now, there's more than enough to get your teeth into!
Original post by j_dot

I'd recommend doing what jamestg said and ask your teacher about it.

You could try looking up the structure for this question. The thing is, this 12 marker is just a longer form of the 8 marker. The difference is actually so fine that my teacher just recommended us to answer it the same way as the 8 marker but just make it longer and with an intro (methinks).

Do you know how to answer the 8 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'd recommend doing what jamestg said and ask your teacher about it.

You could try looking up the structure for this question. The thing is, this 12 marker is just a longer form of the 8 marker. The difference is actually so fine that my teacher just recommended us to answer it the same way as the 8 marker but just make it longer and with an intro (methinks).

Do you know how to answer the 8 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are those value/source questions? Basically no, structure isn't something we've gone over in class much. I did well at GCSE so I have the ability to answer well, just needs refining for the new mark schemes.
Original post by j_dot
Are those value/source questions? Basically no, structure isn't something we've gone over in class much. I did well at GCSE so I have the ability to answer well, just needs refining for the new mark schemes.

That's weird, they should have shown you a way to answer the question or at least an exemplary model essay done by the teacher.

Yeah that is the 8 marker. The 12 marker is quite confusing because in A-level you can't judge something as useless due to it being bias but you still have to consider bias when talking about it.

Maybe try doing 3 paragraphs for the 12 marker. One for the actual source extract and its usefulness. One for the provenance (e.g. in regards to the opinion on Mussolini's regime "As this extract is written by Togliatti, the Italian Communist Party, it is quite useful in showing an opinion of the left towards Mussolini's regime as... However, the weight of this extract is not quite significant because it only gives a negative view of Mussolini's regime. In reality, while Mussolini's regime received mixed opinions, the population mainly...") and one Conclusion.

For each paragraph, maybe do the first half as strong and has weight and the other half as not useful and less weight.

Don't forget to quote and give at least 3 quotes per paragraph or point.

You answer the 8 marker in a really similar way but instead of focusing on how the provenance doesn't give it weight, you focus on how it makes it more useful or how it makes it more limited, etc.

Double-check this with your teacher though cause I don't exactly have my book with me. Hence, I'm only writing this from memory. Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
That's weird, they should have shown you a way to answer the question or at least an exemplary model essay done by the teacher.

Yeah that is the 8 marker. The 12 marker is quite confusing because in A-level you can't judge something as useless due to it being bias but you still have to consider bias when talking about it.

Maybe try doing 3 paragraphs for the 12 marker. One for the actual source extract and its usefulness. One for the provenance (e.g. in regards to the opinion on Mussolini's regime "As this extract is written by Togliatti, the Italian Communist Party, it is quite useful in showing an opinion of the left towards Mussolini's regime as... However, the weight of this extract is not quite significant because it only gives a negative view of Mussolini's regime. In reality, while Mussolini's regime received mixed opinions, the population mainly...":wink: and one Conclusion.

For each paragraph, maybe do the first half as strong and has weight and the other half as not useful and less weight.

Don't forget to quote and give at least 3 quotes per paragraph or point.

You answer the 8 marker in a really similar way but instead of focusing on how the provenance doesn't give it weight, you focus on how it makes it more useful or how it makes it more limited, etc.

Double-check this with your teacher though cause I don't exactly have my book with me. Hence, I'm only writing this from memory. Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quality mate thank you, that'll give me a good basis until I see my teacher! Are value questions similar to factor questions at GCSE? As in para arguing the hypothesis, para arguing diff factor, then another, then another etc?
Original post by j_dot
Quality mate thank you, that'll give me a good basis until I see my teacher! Are value questions similar to factor questions at GCSE? As in para arguing the hypothesis, para arguing diff factor, then another, then another etc?

Factor question? No, I don't think so, that's a bit more similar to the 20 marker essay question where you have to do that.

For the value question, I think it'll be a bit more similar to the source question in GCSE where you explain what's happening and infer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Am currently producing a powerpoint covering EVERYTHING!

Here's a sneaky peak...

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 16.56.01BST.png

Should be ready later this month.
Hello people, I'm doing the Germany and Italy. Except, I don't know anything about it. Here's the dilemma.

So I was kind of pressured to pick History Modern European on enrolment day. I had no initial plan of doing History at all. But here I am. I wasn't happy with the course so before Christmas, perhaps October-November, I stopped attending the lessons and I've spoken to everyone about this. The head of humanities, my tutor, my teachers. They said due to me doing 4 A-Levels and having "good" GCSEs grades I cannot be removed off the course. So I'm quite rebellious, so I said I won't be attending. Time flew by, me not attending, checked my email with my email timetable to see that I'm still set to be sitting the exam. What now? I need to get at least a D. I just need to know an outline of what will possibly be in the exam, what I should know and be studying? Help! I'm crumbling about being in the hall for 2 hours. I just need help to get at least a D grade. I obviously won't get an A* or a C tbh, I won't be doing it at A2. But someone here, please. Help me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending