The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History (new): Route G - Nationalism, Dictatorship and Democracy 20th Cent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You know you study a narrow course when you google something and everything is in Italian :colonhash:
Original post by jamestg
You know you study a narrow course when you google something and everything is in Italian :colonhash:

😂, seriously, gosh, I was going to say that the course I was studying was narrower since my classmates are so surprised and excited whenever something from the Spain unit comes up in Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing Italy and Germany, and I was wondering how far everyone was with revision and content?
Ive finished my notes basically, and I'm currently just re-reading them and writing them out but I don't think I know nearly as much as I should do considering the exams are in a month.
How far has everyone else got with their revision?
Reply 23
Original post by greys-anatomy
I'm doing Italy and Germany, and I was wondering how far everyone was with revision and content?
Ive finished my notes basically, and I'm currently just re-reading them and writing them out but I don't think I know nearly as much as I should do considering the exams are in a month.
How far has everyone else got with their revision?

I am alright with Weimar and Nazi Germany on all the themes. FRG is a myth to me and I'm debating not to even revise it as two of the potential 4 questions are literally going to be on Weimar or Nazi (3 topics, 4 potential questions). I'm currently going over Italy, pre-Mussolini Italy is vague to me, I have the key points known but the details are too irrelevent for me to care, again I'm debating chancing to not go over it as my knowledge of Mussolini's rise, fascist state and fall of fascism is pretty solid.

The course is very very long and I don't think even the teachers expect us to know everything off by heart, as long as we can argue our point in the questions it will be alright. Try do a 20mkr on anything you can to apply your knowledge is what I suggest.

Mind sharing how you revised History, last year it was a memory game but here I don't feel like I can remember everything. Currently just going through a big textbook and noting down relevent points.
Original post by j_dot
I am alright with Weimar and Nazi Germany on all the themes. FRG is a myth to me and I'm debating not to even revise it as two of the potential 4 questions are literally going to be on Weimar or Nazi (3 topics, 4 potential questions). I'm currently going over Italy, pre-Mussolini Italy is vague to me, I have the key points known but the details are too irrelevent for me to care, again I'm debating chancing to not go over it as my knowledge of Mussolini's rise, fascist state and fall of fascism is pretty solid.

The course is very very long and I don't think even the teachers expect us to know everything off by heart, as long as we can argue our point in the questions it will be alright. Try do a 20mkr on anything you can to apply your knowledge is what I suggest.

Mind sharing how you revised History, last year it was a memory game but here I don't feel like I can remember everything. Currently just going through a big textbook and noting down relevent points.

Im pretty sure you know more than me haha - i think I'm good for Weimar Germany and understand the basics for Nazi Germany - and same I know nothing about FRG.
Italy I'm only ok with key topic 1 and literally know nothing else tbh.
I've been making mind-maps on the key topics and they seem to be really helping with memorising everything. I don't think I'm gonna be able to finish learning everything with all my subjects :/
Reply 25
Original post by j_dot

DO NOT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE.

For section A you do not get a choice of questions, therefore if you get section A on something to do with the Liberal State there's little hope in getting over 50% of the paper which of course will result in a D.

That's too much of a risk. You need to revise EVERYTHING.

If I'm completely honest when you get into it, there isn't that much content. At lot is interlinking and with some documentary watching and extra reading you'll realise what you have to know isn't too much and flows really nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBOyhNn0sg - strongly recommend this documentary
Reply 26
Original post by jamestg
DO NOT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE.

For section A you do not get a choice of questions, therefore if you get section A on something to do with the Liberal State there's little hope in getting over 50% of the paper which of course will result in a D.

That's too much of a risk. You need to revise EVERYTHING.

If I'm completely honest when you get into it, there isn't that much content. At lot is interlinking and with some documentary watching and extra reading you'll realise what you have to know isn't too much and flows really nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBOyhNn0sg - strongly recommend this documentary

Will both questions on Section A be the same topic?

Section A is heavily based off the sources no? I'm only playing devils advocate but you can still get marks with little contextual knowledge. From what I can make of the mark scheme if you ace the analytical and evaluation part and have the bare minimum (not none, just a random fact thrown in) contextual knowledge you can reach level 3.

Obviously I realised this is a bad idea I just need to blanket revise the entire course, or atleast the parts I'm not good on. but I'm running out of time. Would prefer to put effort into perfecting things I already know over memorising new stuff...
Reply 27
One month until Italy/Spain!

Hope everyone's revision is going well :smile:
Original post by jamestg
One month until Italy/Spain!

Hope everyone's revision is going well :smile:

😣, urggh, don't remind me. Gosh, I still can't believe that History is on my first day of exam.

Thanks though although, personally, I feel like nothing is sticking to my brain. 😰

How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Firenze26
😣, urggh, don't remind me. Gosh, I still can't believe that History is on my first day of exam.

Thanks though although, personally, I feel like nothing is sticking to my brain. 😰

How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly the same as it is going for you :frown:
Reply 30
Here's an Italy question to get your teeth into...

To what extent was the Liberal government a 'deadman walking' between 1914 and 1922?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg

Hi OP! I'm just trying to make the exam directory thread a bit clearer by making the links on the thread the actual exam names but I'm a bit confused about this one. Do you know if these exams are 8HIO 01 & 8HIO 02 or 6HI01 & 6HI02? I'm assuming it's the former because that's the new one but just wanted to double check :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Fox Corner
Hi OP! I'm just trying to make the exam directory thread a bit clearer by making the links on the thread the actual exam names but I'm a bit confused about this one. Do you know if these exams are 8HIO 01 & 8HIO 02 or 6HI01 & 6HI02? I'm assuming it's the former because that's the new one but just wanted to double check :tongue:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/history-2015.html

It's 8HI0 for AS
Reply 33
Would you say that the emergency laws passed by Mussolini in 1922, made his essentially a dictator for a year?
Not prepared at all for Italy- my teacher is terrible :frown:(
Is everyone doing okay with the Cultural Identity and Education questions?
Reply 36
Is everyone doing okay with the Cultural Identity and Education questions?

Education being
Weimar:
govt tried to make all schools standardised (not state, church and elite) so introduced a new school, a state school with elite curriciulum, tried not to be selective.
Also had goals of a moral education, civil responsibility and vocational training. Compulsorary education until 14
HOWEVER, schools were still funded by private/church so system didn't remove selectiveness but inspections were introduced.

Nazi:
Indoctrination in education, split boys/girls. Boys do "man" stuff, PE nazi youth. Girls domestic.
Teachers league(?) made oath to Hitler.
Order castles - elite next gen leaders
Adolf Hitler schools - military leaders
Political institutions - admin leaders

FRG:
same as weimar??
Denazify education
Prevent early career choice
Free education until end of secondary skl.

idk about culture much and this is from just looking at my notes+head - wanna add to it
Original post by j_dot
Education being
Weimar:
govt tried to make all schools standardised (not state, church and elite) so introduced a new school, a state school with elite curriciulum, tried not to be selective.
Also had goals of a moral education, civil responsibility and vocational training. Compulsorary education until 14
HOWEVER, schools were still funded by private/church so system didn't remove selectiveness but inspections were introduced.

Nazi:
Indoctrination in education, split boys/girls. Boys do "man" stuff, PE nazi youth. Girls domestic.
Teachers league(?) made oath to Hitler.
Order castles - elite next gen leaders
Adolf Hitler schools - military leaders
Political institutions - admin leaders

FRG:
same as weimar??
Denazify education
Prevent early career choice
Free education until end of secondary skl.

idk about culture much and this is from just looking at my notes+head - wanna add to it

Thanks. Uhh, from the top of my head this is what I can remember:

Weimar:
-Bauhaus
-New Movement (there was a name for that can't remember it though)
-Emotive, abstract, shows what was actually happening - reality-
-Jewish artists were pretty high-up, popular, etc.
-some censored for being lewd, etc.
-some aspects subsidised - gov subsidised some theatres to promote culturw

Nazi
-Traditional - reflecting roman culture, families (Children, Kitchen, Church), etc.
-Highly censored - only traditional art by traditional artists - Jewish/anti-nazi literature burned or destroyed (book burning in late 30s)
-Had a department called RKK (RRK) that censored it
-used by some for protest (swing youth, Edelweiss Pirates, White Rose grp,etc.)

FRG (knowledge a bit dodgy here)
-Argued to be lost due to Denazification and year Zero
-huge part of cultural divide
-globalised - affected by other event (e.g. US involvement and Consumer Culture)
-Development at the start hindered by econ. crisis (fear of spending)

Don't forget, in the FRG the gov also leguslated something about employment of ex-Nazis and people from extreme group (think it was called employment ban). Some teachers were removed from teaching as they were part of the nazi teacher union but officials had to backtrack because it would lead to a loss of almost all teaching staff.

In weimar, there was a name for that act/legislation somethig education act

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Thanks. Uhh, from the top of my head this is what I can remember:

Weimar:
-Bauhaus
-New Movement (there was a name for that can't remember it though)
-Emotive, abstract, shows what was actually happening - reality-
-Jewish artists were pretty high-up, popular, etc.
-some censored for being lewd, etc.
-some aspects subsidised - gov subsidised some theatres to promote culturw

Nazi
-Traditional - reflecting roman culture, families (Children, Kitchen, Church), etc.
-Highly censored - only traditional art by traditional artists - Jewish/anti-nazi literature burned or destroyed (book burning in late 30s)
-Had a department called RKK (RRK) that censored it
-used by some for protest (swing youth, Edelweiss Pirates, White Rose grp,etc.)

FRG (knowledge a bit dodgy here)
-Argued to be lost due to Denazification and year Zero
-huge part of cultural divide
-globalised - affected by other event (e.g. US involvement and Consumer Culture)
-Development at the start hindered by econ. crisis (fear of spending)

Don't forget, in the FRG the gov also leguslated something about employment of ex-Nazis and people from extreme group (think it was called employment ban). Some teachers were removed from teaching as they were part of the nazi teacher union but officials had to backtrack because it would lead to a loss of almost all teaching staff.

In weimar, there was a name for that act/legislation somethig education act

Posted from TSR Mobile

FRG is literally where I have no knowledge haha. Nice info culture just goes with the period knowledge I guess

that legislation in weimar for the standardised schooling was the 1920 School Law (from my textbook).
Original post by j_dot
FRG is literally where I have no knowledge haha. Nice info culture just goes with the period knowledge I guess

that legislation in weimar for the standardised schooling was the 1920 School Law (from my textbook).

Same, FRG is just too hard and it doesn't help that my brain doesn't retain much info about it.

Yeah, that's the one that couldn't be agreed upon, right? and was put back into the reichstag to b discussed but never came out even till the end of Weimar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending