The Student Room Group

Long route to vet medicine!!

hey guys! I would love to study veterinary medicine, but my predicted grades at the end of the year are (BBB) I can't. So I'm going to study veterinary nursing and/or bioveterinary science (either at Bristol, the RVC or Liverpool) and then hopefully study at the RVC for vet medicine (if i get an upper 2:1) for the accelerated vet med course. I'm just worried about funding for my second degree since i'm going the long route. Is there anyone else who's in my position or has any advice?

Thanks x
The government said last year that they're going to let people take out student loans for a second degree if it's science based (there will probably more info in the upcoming budget). If that goes ahead, there shouldn't be any financial reason why you couldn't do VetMed after a BSc but you're going to have huge debts.
Original post by TypicalRemix
hey guys! I would love to study veterinary medicine, but my predicted grades at the end of the year are (BBB) I can't. So I'm going to study veterinary nursing and/or bioveterinary science (either at Bristol, the RVC or Liverpool) and then hopefully study at the RVC for vet medicine (if i get an upper 2:1) for the accelerated vet med course. I'm just worried about funding for my second degree since i'm going the long route. Is there anyone else who's in my position or has any advice?

Thanks x

I've been in your position, and I'm at vet school now. There is currently no funding for the second degree (and the above is the first I've ever heard about finding, and I'm pretty sure it's only for science degrees and doesn't include veterinary science since it's a 4/5/6 year degree). My parents have to help me pay the fees.
It is however possible to save money up and use maintenance loans to pay for tuition fees. My housemate does this. She works to earn money, and then uses her loan to pay the rest, it's not easy however.
I personally wouldn't choose to go the grad route unless it was a last resort. Is there no way you could take a gap year and resit your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I'm pretty sure it's only for science degrees and doesn't include veterinary science since it's a 4/5/6 year degree)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Length of degree won't matter. It’s all STEM degrees, which as far as I know does include VetMed. We will find out for sure next week.
Original post by Lizziefickling
I've been in your position, and I'm at vet school now. There is currently no funding for the second degree (and the above is the first I've ever heard about finding, and I'm pretty sure it's only for science degrees and doesn't include veterinary science since it's a 4/5/6 year degree). My parents have to help me pay the fees.
It is however possible to save money up and use maintenance loans to pay for tuition fees. My housemate does this. She works to earn money, and then uses her loan to pay the rest, it's not easy however.
I personally wouldn't choose to go the grad route unless it was a last resort. Is there no way you could take a gap year and resit your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only choosing the grad route as I am already doing a resit for my A levels this year and I know chemistry will be my downfall as an A is highly unlikely for me :/ I'm obviously going to try my hardest this year and if i somehow get an A, then i'll reapply for 2017. I really don't think that any uni would allow me to resit A levels twice haha (especially with the courses changing)
Original post by Snufkin
Length of degree won't matter. It’s all STEM degrees, which as far as I know does include VetMed. We will find out for sure next week.

VetMed, as far as I'm aware, is not a 'STEM' subject.
Original post by SilverstarDJ

I went crazy googling this last night, some stuff says it might end up being one and some say it's not a STEM subject 😩 either way I'm not getting any funding haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SilverstarDJ

As far as I know, the only way the government can define STEM for student finance purposes is by using UCAS course codes, i.e. the JACS system, as outlined here.

Groups with STEM are in bold (Groups A-K):
A - Medicine and Dentistry
B - Subjects allied to Medicine
C - Biological Sciences
D - Veterinary Sciences, Agriculture and related subjects
F - Physical Sciences
G - Mathematical Sciences
H - Engineering
I - Computer Sciences
J - Technologies
K - Architecture, Building and Planning
Reply 8
Can anyone make sense of the budget released today... Are we likely to get funding in 2017?
Original post by Trixi92
Can anyone make sense of the budget released today... Are we likely to get funding in 2017?

I'm going to say no...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trixi92

Maybe - there still isn't any news. A few univerities now have "For all STEM subjects, tuition loans will be extended to students wishing to do a second degree from 2017-18." on their website, so they presumably expect it to happen.
Original post by Snufkin
Maybe - there still isn't any news. A few univerities now have "For all STEM subjects, tuition loans will be extended to students wishing to do a second degree from 2017-18." on their website, so they presumably expect it to happen.

From what I read, the loans would be only available for part-time degrees in STEM, not all of them... But I guess we'll find out soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending