The Student Room Group

Would u tell uni about my difficulties (listed below) and if so what will they do?

I am worried the uni won't treat me the same as college did as I am not specifically got anything. I went for an spld screening at college and found I have information processing difficulties which are usually associated with dyselxia and dyspraxia, as I have trouble understanding and have a very poor short term memory and etc. My report summaried saying I have processing difficulties and dyselxia and dsypraxic tendencies and visual stress. College has given me a load of support, however what will uni do as I don't have the full dyselxic or dyspraxia... Also will this affect me getting into uni as my parent said it will and finally should I tell them as my parent said no but other differ.
Original post by Tiakate
I am worried the uni won't treat me the same as college did as I am not specifically got anything. I went for an spld screening at college and found I have information processing difficulties which are usually associated with dyselxia and dyspraxia, as I have trouble understanding and have a very poor short term memory and etc. My report summaried saying I have processing difficulties and dyselxia and dsypraxic tendencies and visual stress. College has given me a load of support, however what will uni do as I don't have the full dyselxic or dyspraxia... Also will this affect me getting into uni as my parent said it will and finally should I tell them as my parent said no but other differ.

When they say tendencies it's likely they do mean you have dyslexia and dyspraxia , that's the way reports are worded sometimes . I have both myself and got a great deal of support at uni so would recommend telling them. You can apply for dsa to pay for support at uni which again I d recommend you do .
It won't effect you getting you into uni, if they did that would be disability discrimination which is illegal so I wouldn't worry about that :smile:
if you ve anymore questions let me know and I ll do my best to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
When they say tendencies it's likely they do mean you have dyslexia and dyspraxia , that's the way reports are worded sometimes . I have both myself and got a great deal of support at uni so would recommend telling them. You can apply for dsa to pay for support at uni which again I d recommend you do .
It won't effect you getting you into uni, if they did that would be disability discrimination which is illegal so I wouldn't worry about that :smile:
if you ve anymore questions let me know and I ll do my best to help :smile:

Thank you that does help, however they quoted in my spld report ' my name has been screened for specific learning difficulties and appears to have significant information processing difficulties. These type of difficulties normally associated with dyselxia and dyspraxia however to confirm this from other test was not strong enough. Their is clear evidence of visual stress. My name has difficulties which need help in class rooms. Please be aware his/her difficulties are due to information processing difficulties and dyselxic and dyspraxic tendencies and not intentional carelessness.'

My report them goes on to say my specific difficulties which includes: time management work load, getting ideas down on paper, reading aloud on paper, speed of writing/processing, listening and taking notes (extracting key point from speech), proofreading+grammar+spelling, poor working memory. There was more however these were mainly My report goes on how to help me in class with these. But I don't get what my learning difficulty label is, as I need to know to Explain it to uni, as they may not understand either? Does this mean it still dyslexia and dyspraxia ? And will the uni re make me do a screenjng ?
Original post by Tiakate
Thank you that does help, however they quoted in my spld report ' my name has been screened for specific learning difficulties and appears to have significant information processing difficulties. These type of difficulties normally associated with dyselxia and dyspraxia however to confirm this from other test was not strong enough. Their is clear evidence of visual stress. My name has difficulties which need help in class rooms. Please be aware his/her difficulties are due to information processing difficulties and dyselxic and dyspraxic tendencies and not intentional carelessness.'

My report them goes on to say my specific difficulties which includes: time management work load, getting ideas down on paper, reading aloud on paper, speed of writing/processing, listening and taking notes (extracting key point from speech), proofreading+grammar+spelling, poor working memory. There was more however these were mainly My report goes on how to help me in class with these. But I don't get what my learning difficulty label is, as I need to know to Explain it to uni, as they may not understand either? Does this mean it still dyslexia and dyspraxia ? And will the uni re make me do a screenjng ?

Well it sounds like you have symptoms of dyslexia and dyspraxia along with the visual stress so I d think so. If it was a screening test rather than a full educational psychologist report they might ask you to be seen by one, dsa are quite specific about what evidence they will accept.
get in contact with your chosen university disability service and inquire about any help they'd be able to offer you, they should be able to explain how things will work and put your mind at rest

universities will not discriminate based on a learning difficulty so don't worry about that at application stage! I applied as disabled and got 4 offers and 1 interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending