The Student Room Group

I hate being Somalian because nobody likes us and guys think Somalian girls are ugly!

Basically, everyone one hates Somalians and we get corned on a daily basis. And I'm sick and tired of it. Everyone thinks Somalians are all rude, loud, lazy have 10 kids, and steal benefits. Me and my family/cousins are nothing like that. We are all so friendly and have jobs. I've lied so many times about my ethnicity because I don't want to be attached to the negative connotations associated with Somalians. If you go on twitter, there's so many mean and hateful tweets about us, it's absolutely depressing. No guys find Somalian girls attractive and no guy would ever date a Somalian girl and that breaks my heart because I'm a pretty girl and I've seen and know many beautiful Somalian girls, but they seem to think we're all ugly and fat and wear those black ninja robes. And if a guy does find a Somalian girl attractive, he has to hide it from his friends and date her secretly!! :/ Whenever I tell a guy I'm Somalian I can literally see the dissapointment in his eyes, one guy even deleted me off whatsapp when I told him I was one. Ever since then I've been lying to people telling them I was Caribbean or mixed race. I honestly don't know what to do. What should I do?? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I'm Asian and I'm friends with a Somali girl whom I have the biggest crush on 😳 I'm gonna ask her out soon! If a guy can't accept you for who you are and not your background then he's straight up not worth your effort. He's shallow and judgemental and I can only imagine what being friends or in a relationship with him will be like.

And about the stereotypes, I completely understand. A lot of Asian families are viewed like that aswell but honestly if your independent and professional and your doing you then you can't be classed under that stereotype. And the same goes, if anyone judges you before they get to know you then their simply not worth your worry!
I was told that somalians rarely (if ever) date outside their race anyway
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, everyone one hates Somalians and we get corned on a daily basis. And I'm sick and tired of it. Everyone thinks Somalians are all rude, loud, lazy have 10 kids, and steal benefits. Me and my family/cousins are nothing like that. We are all so friendly and have jobs. I've lied so many times about my ethnicity because I don't want to be attached to the negative connotations associated with Somalians. If you go on twitter, there's so many mean and hateful tweets about us, it's absolutely depressing. No guys find Somalian girls attractive and no guy would ever date a Somalian girl and that breaks my heart because I'm a pretty girl and I've seen and know many beautiful Somalian girls, but they seem to think we're all ugly and fat and wear those black ninja robes. And if a guy does find a Somalian girl attractive, he has to hide it from his friends and date her secretly!! :/ Whenever I tell a guy I'm Somalian I can literally see the dissapointment in his eyes, one guy even deleted me off whatsapp when I told him I was one. Ever since then I've been lying to people telling them I was Caribbean or mixed race. I honestly don't know what to do. What should I do?? :frown:

You are the dumbest human being I have ever come across,you do realise everyone has " negative connotations " right...
I don't understand why you're valuing the opinion of a racist.
It's sad that you've forgotten the postives.
Ever since then I've been lying to people telling them I was Caribbean or mixed race

I'm mixed Caribbean and European and guys don't like me either, at least not in the way I would like them too :s-smilie: I'm just an exotic experiment. I don't meet guys of my own background to date. There are plenty of negative connotations surrounding mixed girls as well as Caribbeans in fact a thread just got deleted bashing black and mixed girls saying how horrible and shallow they are. I've never seen such a thread aimed at Somalian girls, although I see them as mixed too, but maybe that's just me.

I wouldn't lie about your background. To be honest if guys are going to be turned off by it then it's a good way to filter out the jerks. It's a bit dumb of them to drop you due to your ancestry when they obviously like what they see to be talking to you in the first place!

I hope that someday you meet a guy who just sees you as a nice, caring and pretty woman, rather than a Somalian woman if that makes sense. These things should be secondary. My advice is develop a thick skin and keep it moving when these things happen. Accept that yes there are men who will not want you because of your background and you can't control that, but equally there are many men who won't care or will even find you more appealing because of it. It might take a bit more effort and searching than most, I know it will for me, but it's okay I truly believe there's an amazing guy out there for you and it will be worth it in the end :smile:
Somali girls are buff!!!
Reply 6
somali girls know how to deal with banana :wink:
Buff girls are buff girls, regardless of nationality. I doubt you're as pretty as you think you are.
Reply 8
Every Somalian I've ever seen/met was wearing that awful hijab/burkha combo so most people are naturally going to just ignore you if you're wearing it.

If you're fit, make an effort in your appearance and don't make excuses then it doesn't matter where you're from, you'll get plenty of attention.
This thread is stupid and possibly trolling.

But there are plenty of attractive, intelligent and successful Somalis (Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Mo Farah, etc)
I thought you guys were English? or you not feeling like it today

Sad thought but may be they just dont like you as a person?
OP could you just leave and carry on ****ing on your own about how advanced the Japanese are.
Reply 13

Eww sis love yourself when you are a somali who are internationally renowned for their beauty and their linguistics you'd call yourself mixed or Caribbean? love yourself maybe? and so what is there are negative connotations are you that intimidated and weak with little pride for your blood and people that you'd worry about what people say? Ya Allah who cares there are negative connotations for Asians, Africans anybody that hasn't fully assimilated into white culture is seen as negative and you're falling for that?

Good they think I'm fat, ugly, if I ware black ninja robes that's ON ME! You so should not care about whatever ugly boys think they can talk or talk about disappointments when they're walking talking continuous life long disappointments. You really do need to reassess your life and see how you reached this point...
Reply 14

My advice is not to tell people you are Somali
Reply 15
I had a somalian friend and she was beautiful in my eyes mashallah. Do not be ashamed of where you are from ever...embrace it...only then others can embrace you :smile:
:puppyeyes: Why you hating? Somali girls are hot :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
I was only just yesterday telling a friend how attractive Somalis are. I think they are one of the most attractive races of people. Look at Iman, David Bowie's wife. She's a supermodel,for God's sake. And Mo Farah. He has such beautiful eyes. I remember watching a documentary about Somalia years ago. Most of the women were stunning; six feet tall ,naturally thin , perfect white teeth and looked like models. If they came over to the West model agencies would snap them up.
I've seen a great many Somalians.
But never a pretty one :frown:.
The foreign office shows EVERY part of Somalia as extremely dangerous.

Maybe if you fix that then people may view you differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest