The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine next year from canada

Hey guys,

I'm planning to apply to medicine again. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful this year. I have plenty of research experience in two laboratories, but no actual hospital experience. I am also currently not employed. My UKCAT could have been stronger, but my high school marks are all 90s, which is plenty for university requirements for students coming from Canada. I can take a hospital volunteer position, but how many hours would you guys consider competitive? I am also currently taking a course in a lab, but I have the possibility of working there part time, but I am not sure if it will help my case. I will definitely work on improving my UKCAT score. Does this sound good to you, or is there more that I could do to improve my chances?

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by thos07
Hey guys,

I'm planning to apply to medicine again. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful this year. I have plenty of research experience in two laboratories, but no actual hospital experience. I am also currently not employed. My UKCAT could have been stronger, but my high school marks are all 90s, which is plenty for university requirements for students coming from Canada. I can take a hospital volunteer position, but how many hours would you guys consider competitive? I am also currently taking a course in a lab, but I have the possibility of working there part time, but I am not sure if it will help my case. I will definitely work on improving my UKCAT score. Does this sound good to you, or is there more that I could do to improve my chances?

Thanks a lot :smile:

There's a joint St Andrews-Edinburgh medical programme for Canadian students, it requires 85%+ in the high school diploma and the UKCAT.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/study/documents/international/scottish-canadian-medical-programme.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by Capricancer
There's a joint St Andrews-Edinburgh medical programme for Canadian students, it requires 85%+ in the high school diploma and the UKCAT.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/study/documents/international/scottish-canadian-medical-programme.pdf

Thanks for responding! That is a great program, but unfortunately I wont be able to apply to it since I am not a Canadian citizen/permanent resident. I am and international student here.

Quick Reply

Latest