The Student Room Group

C2 ques - radian measure

Im really confused with this c2 ques. I dont know what its asking me to do. Ive tried many methods - once i got the answer but it didnt make sense. I havent listed all of the because i cant remember what i was trying to do.

The question is:

Find the area of the major segment, OEF

A) OE = 10cm, theta = pi / 6 rads
Answer: 313cm^2

First i did pi r^2 - (r^2 x theta) / 2
= 100 pi - 1500
= -ve answer WRONG

then i tried area of major SECTOR + area of minor SECTOR
11/6 pi x 100 all divided by 2 + 100 x pi/6 all divided by 2
= 313.1799... CORRECT?!

BUT, the question asks for the major SEGMENT so shouldnt it be pi r^2 - 1/2 ab sin c (sin is 30?)
When i do that i get 338??

Help please :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kiiten

Could you post the actual question? What's OEF? What's the radius? What are you talking about?
Reply 2

Does this picture help? You can find the area of the minor sector and then subtract that from the area of the full circle to get the area of the major segment.

Original post by kiiten

BUT, the question asks for the minor SEGMENT so shouldnt it be pi r^2 - 1/2 ab sin c (sin is 30?)
Reply 3
Thats the question. 3.a)
image.jpg

Sorry my diagram is kinda messy.
Attachment not found
Im guessing o is the centre and e and f are points on the circumference so 10cm is the radius.
Reply 4
Original post by kiiten
Im guessing o is the centre and e and f are points on the circumference so 10cm is the radius.

Huh? It sounds like they're talking about sectors instead of segments or have I forgotten my geometry?

Edit: lol my bad, half me forgetting geometry half the textbook not bothering to define stuff properly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken

Does this picture help? You can find the area of the minor sector and then subtract that from the area of the full circle to get the area of the major segment.

Doesnt that give you the area of the white part which is the major SECTOR?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Huh? It sounds like they're talking about sectors instead of segments or have I forgotten my geometry?

Thats just what i guessed it would look like but i have no idea where OEF are. 10 must definitely be the radius though because pi r^2 using 10 gives you 314
Reply 7
Original post by kiiten
Thats just what i guessed it would look like but i have no idea where OEF are. 10 must definitely be the radius though because pi r^2 using 10 gives you 314

Okay, s'all fine. I understand it now. Look at my picture again, can you find the area of the minor segment?
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Okay, s'all fine. I understand it now. Look at my picture again, can you find the area of the minor segment?

Theta is pi/6 = 30 rads? (Not sure if/when you convert it)
R^2 x theta all divided by 2
= 100 x (pi/6) / 2
= 25/3 pi

Area of triangle
1/2 a b sin c
1/2 x 100 x sin pi/6
= 25

Minus both to get 1.179999...
Ah so for the major segment you do pi r^2 = 100pi
100pi - 1.17999... = 312.979
= 313 (3s.f.)

But my question is that: is pi/6 180/6 = 30rads or is it 30 degrees?
Reply 9
Original post by kiiten

But my question is that: is pi/6 180/6 = 30rads or is it 30 degrees?

π6rad=30\frac{\pi}{6} \text{rad} = 30^{\circ}. So π6\frac{\pi}{6} is in radians which is the same thing as 3030^{\circ}.
Reply 10
Sorry, 360 degrees is 2pi - i just read it a few pages before that question. Yeah, you're right 30 degrees is pi/6 rads
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by kiiten
Sorry, 360 degrees is 2pi - i just read it a few pages before that question. Yeah, you're right 30 degrees is pi/6 rads
Thanks for your help :smile:

No problem.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
No problem.

8.b) ?
R^2 x theta / 2 = r^2 ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by kiiten
8.b) ?
R^2 x theta / 2 = r^2 ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know that perimeter of the sector is given by 2r+rθ=4r2r + r\theta = 4r so some simplification gets you θ=2\theta=2.

Then, area sector is 12×r2×2=r2\frac{1}{2} \times r^2 \times 2 = r^2 (because θ=2\theta = 2).
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
You know that perimeter of the sector is given by 2r+rθ=4r2r + r\theta = 4r so some simplification gets you θ=2\theta=2.

Then, area sector is 12×r2×2=r2\frac{1}{2} \times r^2 \times 2 = r^2 (because θ=2\theta = 2).

Thank you!!
Is the diagram like this for question 2.b) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by kiiten
Thank you!!
Is the diagram like this for question 2.b) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The diagram is right, yeah. But I'm hoping that where you've written 8 you've written it to mean the side lengths of the equilateral triangle OAB and not APB, yeah?

BTW, remember your GCSE circle theorems? If the angle at the centre is something (AOB) then the angle at the cirumference (APB) is half of that.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
The diagram is right, yeah. But I'm hoping that where you've written 8 you've written it to mean the side lengths of the equilateral triangle OAB and not APB, yeah?

BTW, remember your GCSE circle theorems? If the angle at the centre is something (AOB) then the angle at the cirumference (APB) is half of that.

Yeah i remember but i got 41.9 and the answer is 49.9 ? This is what i did:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
anyone? :'(

I got 41.9 but the answer is 49.9
Original post by kiiten
Im really confused with this c2 ques. I dont know what its asking me to do. Ive tried many methods - once i got the answer but it didnt make sense. I havent listed all of the because i cant remember what i was trying to do.

The question is:

A) OE = 10cm, theta = pi / 6 rads
Answer: 313cm^2

First i did pi r^2 - (r^2 x theta) / 2
= 100 pi - 1500
= -ve answer WRONG

then i tried area of major SECTOR + area of minor SECTOR
11/6 pi x 100 all divided by 2 + 100 x pi/6 all divided by 2
= 313.1799... CORRECT?!

BUT, the question asks for the major SEGMENT so shouldnt it be pi r^2 - 1/2 ab sin c (sin is 30?)

Help please :smile:

I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a maths whatsapp revision group. I guessing most of us use whatsapp so I guess it will be more suitable for everyone then. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest