The Student Room Group

Occupational Health Check Veterinary Science

I'm interested in applying for veterinary science. I was hoping those who have studied or are currently studying veterinary science can shed some light on whether or not there is an occupational health check at the beginning of the course. Thank you!
Yes there is, but it's not bad :smile: under the veterinary surgeons act you have to be able to perform emergency treatment on any animal of its needed, so one reason they carry it out is to make sure you don't have a physical condition which would affect this. It's also in case you have any learning difficulties eg. Dyslexia or mental health issues; this is just so they can point you in the right direction of which services to use at uni :smile: quite often they'll also let you know about counselling, eating disorder help etc. Once you're at uni, even if you've never expressed a need for it
Original post by LittleRed110
I'm interested in applying for veterinary science. I was hoping those who have studied or are currently studying veterinary science can shed some light on whether or not there is an occupational health check at the beginning of the course. Thank you!

Each of the universities handle it differently. At Liverpool you have to fill in a form, and it has to be signed by your GP. They have to do this as you have to be fit to practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleRed110

Just to let you know there are various vet students on the course who have suffered or suffer from learning difficulties, physical health and mental health problems so it won't necessarily preclude your entry! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending