The Student Room Group

Access course?! Help?

Hello, now at the age of 21 I have came to the conclusion that I would love to further my education. I've recently applied for an access course in social sciences and humanities, I'm both nervous and excited but above all not very clued up on it all, yes I've read a lot online, watched videos of people expressing how much they enjoy their access course and what they have achieved but I've yet to find any substantial information out, so If anyone would answer me just a few questions I'd be very grateful!

How was your first week/month/first impressions of the course and did or have they changed?

How much did it cost? When is funding applicable I'm 21 and work part time (16 hours a week)

What is the work load like?

In general I'd just like to know anyone's views on their access course, any information will be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou!
The funding you'll get, depends on whether you already have a level 3 (such as A levels) qualification.

I've done one before. When I did mine, we had no formal exams, like you do with A levels. There was just a lot of coursework and the odd presentation.
Reply 2
Hey

I did an Access to Medicine course.

Original post by Lxkeb

How was your first week/month/first impressions of the course and did or have they changed?

First week of the course was quite a shock to me, having not been in education for over 10 years. Having an assignment given to us almost immediately made it real from the very beginning. The course content was explained well, and it was made clear from day one that the course wasn't a slacking option - it's the equivalent of learning the medicine related parts of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths AS and A levels in only one year. As the course progressed, my only real thought was they had been right.

Original post by Lxkeb

How much did it cost? When is funding applicable I'm 21 and work part time (16 hours a week)

I got a 24+ student loan so it didn't cost me anything up front.

Original post by Lxkeb

The workload was very heavy. Two lots of exams and around 15 assignments, plus assessed practicals.

My overall view was that it's a great way to get into medicine if you've not gone the traditional route, however it takes a lot of dedication and hard work. As an example, around 30 people started the course, and only around 5 of us got the required grades for medicine. A fair amount of people didn't even make it to the end of the course.

Work hard and put it first and you'll do fine.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Hi just coming to the end of an access to social work in Nottingham, firstly funding is available the college will help you apply online.
I did my application at the college when I signed up, it cost just over £3,000 and as long as you pass and go on to uni you don't pay it back.
My course has been excellent though they were very gentle with the work at the beginning did not really get to many pieces at the same time until now, got 2 bigish pieces at the same time.
But tutors are excellent, they really break each module down explain the subject and guide you in the right direction for any research for projects essays presentations ect and revision and offer good support. all round.
When it comes to assignments they are equally as good, breaking each part and all sub heading within .
It is essential to start from day one to set aside time to read and take notes, even prior to work being set on what ever modules you start with, this will get you in the routine of studying as many of my classmates did not and took time getting used to study time at home
Plus you will find if you read on the subject for your modules your studying you will boost your confidence and feel better prepared when work is set.
Another benefit I found is having read prior to work being set I had covered a lot both in and out of class so you may well get better grades and studying at home will be normal so when work is set you will flow into it naturally.
Another thing is not to underestimate the time some thing will take for example a project report , research can take hours then collating organizing info and putting a plan in place often all take longer that doing the actual essay ect. So a study plan and diary for college is an essential
I Usually set out to do at least one learning objective at a time then I have accomplished something, but if I get more done then great if not I'm still on track.
there is times I read at least one chapter and do notes, then times I research or plan in separate study times in same day
Basically getting organised planning studytimes into your day from day 1 will pay off, even if for first 2 months you read 1 chapter of a book relating to say 2 of your subjects alternating each day until your work is set
But I have spoken to many uni lectures since applying and they all say access student are well prepared with the study skills which are just as important as subject knowledge, plus theyand 1st year uni students I have spoken with who did access courses say they found the first year comfortable natural, one said easy as there were not so many pieces of work at the same time,
SO go for it
Original post by Lxkeb
Hello, now at the age of 21 I have came to the conclusion that I would love to further my education. I've recently applied for an access course in social sciences and humanities, I'm both nervous and excited but above all not very clued up on it all, yes I've read a lot online, watched videos of people expressing how much they enjoy their access course and what they have achieved but I've yet to find any substantial information out, so If anyone would answer me just a few questions I'd be very grateful!

In general I'd just like to know anyone's views on their access course, any information will be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending