The Student Room Group

GRAD ENTRY MEDICINE- Southampton vs Warwick

I know that at the end of the day its a personal decision, but sometimes talking things out helps, and if anyone has any insider knowledge on either uni I would be very appreciative! It seems from what I have heard so far (may have totally got the wrong idea- but just from talking to a few current students) that Warwick maybe a lot more intense in terms of contact hours. But as its the next 4 years of my life the uni surroundings do play a big factor. Any one have any thoughts or anyone in a similar position? Thanks.
I'm starting Medicine at Warwick in September so I'll see you there if you choose to firm Warwick :smile:.

I've never studied at Southampton but I do currently work there so I can try and give you some information on how the two compare. They're both very similar in terms of course (both PBL/CBL and systems based), city (both on the outskirts of large cities), campus (both campus universities build relatively recently) and reputation (both Russell Group but that doesn't really matter when it comes to Medicine).

You'll have to look in a bit more detail to find the differences so I suggest you try and find some posts on here, read the Warwick Medlife blog and have a more detailed look at their course structure if possible. I have heard that Warwick has more lecture hours while Southampton favours more independent study, but as they're both PBL universities they're probably both very similar in this respect. Warwick has a better reputation for anatomy which takes place every Friday at the same Surgical Skills Centre that Surgeons use for post graduate training and it also offers an anatomy masterclass in Grenada every year so this may be something to think about if you're interested in anatomy or may benefit from more tuition on it. Alternatively, Southampton offers three Student Selected Components and Warwick only offers too, one of which is a research project so Southampton appears to have more module choice. Warwick is also a graduate only program and has a much larger cohort (170ish compared to 40ish) while in Southampton you join with undergraduates for your hospital placements. In the pre-clinical stage Warwick students are attached to UHCW which is a major trauma centre and Southampton graduate students are attached to Winchester which is about 15 minutes by train. Winchester is a smaller hospital (although it still has everything you'll need) which could be a positive or negative depending on what you're looking for. I would also look at the areas that each University could send you for placements because you could end up spending quite a lot of time there (e.g. I believe Southampton send students to the Isle of Wight for clinical placements which is a lovely place (I've lived there!) but could be a travel nightmare if you have a family or intend to try and work some bank shifts).

To be honest both are relatively similar in all the big things (course structure etc...) so you'll have to look quite closely and it will come down to personal preference at the end of the day. I recommend you try and visit both Universities before you make your decision because the biggest decider will be where you feel most comfortable living for the next four years.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love wherever you end up :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elzw
I know that at the end of the day its a personal decision, but sometimes talking things out helps, and if anyone has any insider knowledge on either uni I would be very appreciative! It seems from what I have heard so far (may have totally got the wrong idea- but just from talking to a few current students) that Warwick maybe a lot more intense in terms of contact hours. But as its the next 4 years of my life the uni surroundings do play a big factor. Any one have any thoughts or anyone in a similar position? Thanks.

I'm first year gem at Southampton- let me know if you have any questions about the city or the course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by -inspired-
I'm starting Medicine at Warwick in September so I'll see you there if you choose to firm Warwick :smile:.

I've never studied at Southampton but I do currently work there so I can try and give you some information on how the two compare. They're both very similar in terms of course (both PBL/CBL and systems based), city (both on the outskirts of large cities), campus (both campus universities build relatively recently) and reputation (both Russell Group but that doesn't really matter when it comes to Medicine).

You'll have to look in a bit more detail to find the differences so I suggest you try and find some posts on here, read the Warwick Medlife blog and have a more detailed look at their course structure if possible. I have heard that Warwick has more lecture hours while Southampton favours more independent study, but as they're both PBL universities they're probably both very similar in this respect. Warwick has a better reputation for anatomy which takes place every Friday at the same Surgical Skills Centre that Surgeons use for post graduate training and it also offers an anatomy masterclass in Grenada every year so this may be something to think about if you're interested in anatomy or may benefit from more tuition on it. Alternatively, Southampton offers three Student Selected Components and Warwick only offers too, one of which is a research project so Southampton appears to have more module choice. Warwick is also a graduate only program and has a much larger cohort (170ish compared to 40ish) while in Southampton you join with undergraduates for your hospital placements. In the pre-clinical stage Warwick students are attached to UHCW which is a major trauma centre and Southampton graduate students are attached to Winchester which is about 15 minutes by train. Winchester is a smaller hospital (although it still has everything you'll need) which could be a positive or negative depending on what you're looking for. I would also look at the areas that each University could send you for placements because you could end up spending quite a lot of time there (e.g. I believe Southampton send students to the Isle of Wight for clinical placements which is a lovely place (I've lived there!) but could be a travel nightmare if you have a family or intend to try and work some bank shifts).

To be honest both are relatively similar in all the big things (course structure etc...) so you'll have to look quite closely and it will come down to personal preference at the end of the day. I recommend you try and visit both Universities before you make your decision because the biggest decider will be where you feel most comfortable living for the next four years.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love wherever you end up :smile:

Thank you for your reply! Really kind of you I appreciate it :smile:

Some really useful information, and i'm definitely gong to try and visit both again without the terrifying prospect of an interview looming over me! It all gets a bit overwhelming sometimes, and everyone i work with and my friends are pretty much a 50 50 split as to wether i should go to warwick or southampton, but like you say it will probably end up boiling down to what suits me. And I just keep reminding myself that I will be happy and meet great people wherever i go!

Congrats on your warwick place, what swung it to warwick for you?

For some reason I originally found myself slightly leaning towards southampton- probably because i preferred the city and how close it was to the coast, and my brother went to southampton solent and he had a great time. Also the hospital I am currently working at, I can imagine being quite similar to winchester hospital, it is the West Suffolk Hospital where the cambridge university graduate medical students are based, and was where I got most of my shadowing experience, and although its not a huge hospital, all the consultants were lovely and there was maybe a comforting factor to being in a smaller hospital, although maybe after a year that would change.

Saying that I did love warwick campus and I didn't realise it was so good for anatomy and the attachment to a major trauma centre sounds really cool! Warwick have those cool plastinations for anatomy dont they? I would say I am probably more suited to a slightly more regimented lecture based way of learning. But with my undergrad degree (Biology) that could just be what I am used to!

Are you newly graduated? what subject did you do? If you dont mind me asking. And are you working at the hospital in southampton atm?

Good luck to you too!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elzw
Thank you for your reply! Really kind of you I appreciate it :smile:

Some really useful information, and i'm definitely gong to try and visit both again without the terrifying prospect of an interview looming over me! It all gets a bit overwhelming sometimes, and everyone i work with and my friends are pretty much a 50 50 split as to wether i should go to warwick or southampton, but like you say it will probably end up boiling down to what suits me. And I just keep reminding myself that I will be happy and meet great people wherever i go!

Congrats on your warwick place, what swung it to warwick for you?

For some reason I originally found myself slightly leaning towards southampton- probably because i preferred the city and how close it was to the coast, and my brother went to southampton solent and he had a great time. Also the hospital I am currently working at, I can imagine being quite similar to winchester hospital, it is the West Suffolk Hospital where the cambridge university graduate medical students are based, and was where I got most of my shadowing experience, and although its not a huge hospital, all the consultants were lovely and there was maybe a comforting factor to being in a smaller hospital, although maybe after a year that would change.

Saying that I did love warwick campus and I didn't realise it was so good for anatomy and the attachment to a major trauma centre sounds really cool! Warwick have those cool plastinations for anatomy dont they? I would say I am probably more suited to a slightly more regimented lecture based way of learning. But with my undergrad degree (Biology) that could just be what I am used to!

What was your background, if you dont mind me asking? And are you working at the hospital in southampton atm?

Good luck to you too!!

I think it's definitely a good idea to visit both when you can actually focus on the atmosphere and the campus/course etc... without the interview pressure. I barely remember anything I was told at interview because I was so nervous! Honestly I think they're so similar in teaching style that I'm not surprised you're 50:50, there's nothing major setting either apart so a lot of it will be based on your gut feeling when visiting.

I like Warwick because it has a larger cohort so you get the opportunity to meet a lot more people than at the other universities I applied to, which will at least widen the bubble. I also liked the idea that it was graduate only so the social activities and societies etc... will be geared towards us rather than the course just being added on to the main undergraduate degree. With only 170 students the department is also smaller and seemed really friendly when I went to my interview and I really liked the course layout and the opportunity to go abroad during the summer. Lots of things really! However, Southampton is also a brilliant University and city and part of my decision was definitely just my desire to try somewhere new.

I'm not a massive fan of Southampton as a city, but that's probably more because I did my first degree at York and before that I lived on the Isle of Wight, so it's very different. I preferred Leamington Spa and the surrounding areas (although most of Coventry isn't great). I would strongly recommend that you visit and spend some time in the city of Southampton and also Coventry and/or Leamington Spa because that's where you'll be living for the next four years so it's important to choose somewhere that you'll enjoy. There are definitely positives of being in a smaller hospital environment with less medical students (more support etc...) as well as being in a major trauma centre (possibility to see more interesting cases etc...) but both universities are attached to a wide variety of hospitals so both will provide you with the opportunity to spend time in very small and very large hospitals once you reach the clinical years.

Yes, I think Warwick focusses quite a lot on anatomy and the Anatomy Teaching Centre is meant to be incredible although I haven't studied Medicine at either University yet so I don't know a lot about the teaching. I think that because they're both PBL based they'll probably be structured quite similarly but maybe try and get a copy of the rough timetable for both? I know that Warwick has sample timetables on their website but I'm not sure about Southampton, a current student may be able to help?

I come from quite an unusual background because my first degree was in English literature and I graduated last year. I've been working at Southampton University since last Summer as part of the Residences team so I provide pastoral care and emergency support for students that live in University accommodation (mainly overnight) and I've also helped out with open days etc... so I can only provide general information about the university. I also volunteer in the Emergency Department at Southampton General which is great fun :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey guys,

I am in the same position trying to decide between Southampton and Warwick. At the moment I work in the Emergency Department at Southampton General (might have seen you there!) and I love it, mostly because it is a major trauma centre and a very busy environment.

Anyone who is currently at or has been to Southampton, I would like to know if you get to do any placements at Southampton General, or is it literally all at Winchester? I think if this is the case I would rather be on placements at UHCW. However I like Southampton as a city, so if placements were at SGH I think I would rather live there.

Anyone who goes to Warwick, what is it like to live there? I am mostly interested in music so I am keen to live somewhere with a decent music scene. I have visited warwick and leamington spa once recently to see what it was like and it seemed very quiet and like there wasn't much going on, but maybe I went at the wrong time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending