The Student Room Group

university maintenance loan and grant after deferring for a year.

I've recently deferred for a year from my university. This is due to severe depression i've been battling whilst trying to study hard. I understand that I shouldn't receive any student finance help when I am on a break from my course. However my student loan account shows that the payments are approved and ready to go to my bank in april. I have also received the national scholarship once I had gone into abeyance so I was wondering if the same thing would happen.
any suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by blondie21369
I've recently deferred for a year from my university. This is due to severe depression i've been battling whilst trying to study hard. I understand that I shouldn't receive any student finance help when I am on a break from my course. However my student loan account shows that the payments are approved and ready to go to my bank in april. I have also received the national scholarship once I had gone into abeyance so I was wondering if the same thing would happen.
any suggestions?

The uni should be telling SF that you've deferred, but sometimes that doesn't happen fast enough. You need to phone SF and just tell them that you've deferred so the April payments aren't made.

If the payments are paid, it's no big deal. Just make sure you don't spend any of the money and phone SF. They'll tell you how to repay it as a lump sum.

Bit of admin to do, but should be simple enough.
Reply 2
what would happen if I didn't tell them because I needed it for rent?

The Uni would contact them eventually (especially if they know now that you're deferring, they'll be in the process of contacting them) and you either
a) won't get it at all...the payments are still a month away theres plenty of time for the Uni to inform SFE
b) they'll ask for it all back as a lump sum
Reply 4

As above, SF will find out because the uni will (eventually) tell them, and they would want the money back immediately. You'd just end up in a bit of a mess. If you owe SF any money which you should have paid back, they may refuse to give you anything when you restart your course.
Reply 5

Don't do this, they will find it eventually and demand the money back immediately. You are not entitled to any financial support from SFE whilst deferring your course. You are also not entitled to benefits during this time. You will have to pay the rent yourself somehow. You can't rely on SFE not noticing you are being paid incorrectly for a whole year, sometimes there is a delay and when they find out they will want the money back and stop your payments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending