The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Student accommodation suggestions for post grad

I will be attending Imperial College for MSc Innovation, management and entrepreneurship this year. And, I'm considering whether to choose private accommodation or student accommodation? All suggestion welcome.
Hi I'll be attending Imperial College for Msc. Strategic Marketing. I'm confused about accommodation as well. Currently I'm considering getting a room in one of the Urbanest accommodations.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
same problem here, currently looking into iQ Student accommodation located at Euston Square
Reply 3
Hi guys. Same here. Student accommodation is so freakin' expensive though! I will probably end up looking for a normal flat
I checked out Gradpad, which Imperial link to via their site. Although the locations are awesome the prices are absolutely ludicrous, ranging from £210 a week to over three hundred pounds. The thing is I'm not sure how to find other Imperial students to buddy up on a houseshare, as that'd be by far the cheapest option.
Reply 5
Hey everyone!
I think I'm leaning towards student accommodation. The studios aren't too much more expensive than normal studios I've seen advertised online, though maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
Reply 6
Student accommodation is welcoming to postgrads too, the community vibe you get from the experience is worth the extra cash in my opinion, which is why I'm going back to be hall senior this year.

Renting is best done in groups in London in order to pull the price down and find something close by. Flat hunting takes time, and you should also keep in mind that a host of flats will free up as this years students finish and end their contracts. I found a place with 4 others in Earls Court for around 150 a week.

Note that student accom contracts are very fitted to the amount of time you'll be studying, whereas private rent will mostly always make you do 12 months. You should look for the break clause when signing a contract, that is often something like "You can end the contract early after the first 6 months, as long as you give us two months notice.".

And finally, private rent will often ask for professional cleans at the end of a tenancy, which can set you back anywhere from 100 to 300, and requires extra time planning. On top of that, finding furniture can be a pain, and getting rid of it at the end of the tenancy even worse.

If this will be your first time renting in London/UK, you should read this handy info that the housing team put together.

Ping me if any questions :smile:
Crud, thanks for sharing so much of your experience. I was wondering if you've got any knowledge of postgrads being able to live in undergrad halls as a warden/tutor? This was at both the universities I've attended and the warden could save a decent amount of rent while living near campus.
Reply 8
At Imperial the wardens are often lecturers. We also have sub-wardens that are postgrads and RAs that have courses or research that last more than a year. And on top of that a bunch of undergrads as hall seniors (like me :biggrin:). The application process for hall senior is long done for next year, so I imagine it would be the same for sub-wardens. If you are staying for more than a year it might be worth enquiring directly with some wardens if you are interested, but bear in mind that you do have responsibilities that you are expected to fulfill, like being on call and organising activities.
And I'm not sure you actually get a rent discount at all :P May be wrong on that, but hall seniors sure don't.
So I booked a Twin room one of the Urbanest accommodations. It costs 189 pounds/week. This was literally the cheapest option I could find with good reviews.
Reply 10
Hey guys. I'm also looking for accommodation. At first I wanted togo for Orient House with Gradpad but after reading the reviews I decided against it. Unless there are three more postgrad students interested in living with me. I just don't want noise in the flat, I guess my partying years are behind me haha :biggrin:
Original post by rydl1
Hey guys. I'm also looking for accommodation. At first I wanted togo for Orient House with Gradpad but after reading the reviews I decided against it. Unless there are three more postgrad students interested in living with me. I just don't want noise in the flat, I guess my partying years are behind me haha :biggrin:

I just booked a room at Gradpad Woodlane. The price is a little high but manageable. What I like most about them is that they also provide a quite study room and a communal area to meet other people.
Reply 12
I'm thinking about taking it as well. But don't you think it's too far from the uni?
Should I wait for June-July for more available rooms maybe cheaper or closer from private accomodation, or Gradpad all the way?
Reply 14
I decided to go for Gradpad Wood Lane as well. Maybe it's a bit further from the Uni but the rooms look amazing and the price is relatively low compared with other student halls, not to mention it's a studio with a gym :biggrin:
try to flat share tbh student accom is extortionate.
I'm so glad I have a home in London lol.
same, I am attending Msc advanced mechanical engineering. I dont know if i should choose student accommodation or a studio, i want to meet new people but i dont know if the atmosphere of the halls is too just started uni haha i mean i want party too but i would want to meet people of my age, what do you recommend??
Original post by mariadiazmdd
same, I am attending Msc advanced mechanical engineering. I dont know if i should choose student accommodation or a studio, i want to meet new people but i dont know if the atmosphere of the halls is too just started uni haha i mean i want party too but i would want to meet people of my age, what do you recommend??

Hi @mariadiazmdd , most of this thread is 4 years old so its probably better to kick of a new one with a title like "PG Accomodation for 2021" or similar to catch the right people. Some of the IC halls are specifically for Post Grads by the way so will have a social side, but much calmer than the undergrad halls.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/halls/pg/

Quick Reply

Latest