The Student Room Group

How much do I need? (Maintenance loan)

So like my rent is £4704 a year, so I need to apply for at least that much but how much should I add on for living costs? Or does the maintenance loan only cover rent? I'm so confused aye😫
Original post by BethanofAsgard
So like my rent is £4704 a year, so I need to apply for at least that much but how much should I add on for living costs? Or does the maintenance loan only cover rent? I'm so confused aye😫

You can't apply for 'at least that much'. You get what they give you, it's dependent on your parents income.
Original post by cherryred90s
You can't apply for 'at least that much'. You get what they give you, it's dependent on your parents income.

yeah I know that but I'm applying for it now and on the maintenance loan bit SFW asks me if I want to borrow the maximum that's like 6000 quid or a specific amount so I was gunna go for a specific amount?
Think I'm just gunna slam the maximum amount it's easier, it won't what I'll get but it'll be close I'm skint😂😂
No, you can use the maintenance loan for anything you need. It will depend on quite a few things but roughly you should allow a minimum of £50 - £75 for every week you are at university to cover basic costs. This would include, food, travel, going out, course materials. So if you can walk/cycle most places your travel will be lower, for instnace. It also depends a lot where you will be living as places vary. Those figures would be enough to get you by at basic level in most places though. What more you can add to that would of course bring more luxuries (I'm not counting Starbucks in those figures!). Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by Des_Lumières
No, you can use the maintenance loan for anything you need. It will depend on quite a few things but roughly you should allow a minimum of £50 - £75 for every week you are at university to cover basic costs. This would include, food, travel, going out, course materials. So if you can walk/cycle most places your travel will be lower, for instnace. It also depends a lot where you will be living as places vary. Those figures would be enough to get you by at basic level in most places though. What more you can add to that would of course bring more luxuries (I'm not counting Starbucks in those figures!). Hope this helps a bit :smile:

ok thank youu😁😁
Original post by BethanofAsgard
yeah I know that but I'm applying for it now and on the maintenance loan bit SFW asks me if I want to borrow the maximum that's like 6000 quid or a specific amount so I was gunna go for a specific amount?
Think I'm just gunna slam the maximum amount it's easier, it won't what I'll get but it'll be close I'm skint😂😂

I'd just get the maximum. You never know when the spare cash can come in handy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending