The Student Room Group

Don't drink alcohol and going to univeristy

I'm going to university this year but I don't drink alcohol, not for any specific reason but just personal preference :smile: I'm 100% fie with anyone who does and have no issue being with people who are drinking. I've read posts before where people have said it'll be fine and people are generally cool with it but I'm worried as drinking seems to be such a big part of student culture...any advice would be brill :smile:
Reply 1
you don't need to drink to have fun!

You'll save a **** tonne of money anyway
a0c6f2c0b53d4aa4ccc74664c436a3dc.jpg
as long as you're still happy to go out (at least at the start of the year when people don't do much else) you should still be fine, I knew plenty of people who didn't drink and it never seemed to cause an issue
I lived with heavy drinkers (who went out pretty much every night for the entire duration of first year) and me not drinking was never an issue.
As long as you're honest with them from the onset I don't see why it should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No worries mate. I don't drink much either. A few shots of whiskey every now and again.

Not all students at your uni will drink and there will undoubtedly be activities for non-drinkers! Don't stress about it, just do what you do. You can always ask your soon-to-be-lecturers (like I did) what stuff there is to do, I'm sure they'd be happy to give you a few pointers.
Reply 6
don't worry, you're going to save so much money!
there will no doubt be activities that don't involve alcohol, and you'll be the most popular if you go out anyways because you can be the sober friend who looks out for everyone and doesn't make any drunken mistakes :biggrin:
You'll be fine, you'll just have to be a bit more creative with starting your social life at uni, in other words get more involved with societies and projects, and seek out the ones which don't have a significant drinking component.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending