The Student Room Group

Scared of rejection

Hi Guys,

So I've just only got one interview which I've done already and waiting for a reply. This year I've done very badly in my medical application with 3 straight rejections! Now I'm just so scared of the other to as I think it might also be a horrible rejection, I can't focus on my work because of it, all I do is think about it and I can't concentrate on ANYTHING else that I normally do. All I think about is my university getting back to me!
Help!!!
Original post by Justtryingtolive
Hi Guys,

So I've just only got one interview which I've done already and waiting for a reply. This year I've done very badly in my medical application with 3 straight rejections! Now I'm just so scared of the other to as I think it might also be a horrible rejection, I can't focus on my work because of it, all I do is think about it and I can't concentrate on ANYTHING else that I normally do. All I think about is my university getting back to me!
Help!!!

This was me with Brighton this year, I'm on the hold list now as well so I'll feel like this for a bit >>
Let's start with the fact that you've done alright actually, there are so many people who don't even get 1 interview, so you've done some things right. Don't be too hard on yourself.
It's awful, honestly. And the worst thing is even when you try not to think of it there's always something that brings you back. Just try to breathe for one. Focus on your exams, on seeing friends - these things will help distract you. Exams especially - if you focus on these then even if things don't go well with the interview, you can reapply next year with the grades rather than resitting like I am (yay).
Hi Guys,

Help!!!

Hi there,

As said above, you didn't do badly! Well done for getting an interview! Plenty of applicants don't make it as far as you did.

Obviously, trying to not think about whether your application is going to be rejected or not is easier said than done, but do try hard! Take the advice written above and really try to focus on your work and getting great exam grades. That way, if you do end up not being successful, you can reapply next year (and many others will be in the same boat as you).

If you take a gap year before reapplying, it gives you a great chance to really improve your entire application, from work experience to extra-curriculars. Plus, you'll have plenty of time to prep for the UKCAT or BMAT to ensure that you boost your performance.

We really hope you hear good news from your final university and have our fingers crossed for you!

However if you are feeling down about it, remember it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go to plan this year. Have a read of our free blog here on what to do if you're unsuccessful, it's got advice on work experience and other things.

We hope this helps, and good luck!

The Medic Portal
The Medic Portal

Original post by AnnekaChan173
This was me with Brighton this year, I'm on the hold list now as well so I'll feel like this for a bit >>
Let's start with the fact that you've done alright actually, there are so many people who don't even get 1 interview, so you've done some things right. Don't be too hard on yourself.
It's awful, honestly. And the worst thing is even when you try not to think of it there's always something that brings you back. Just try to breathe for one. Focus on your exams, on seeing friends - these things will help distract you. Exams especially - if you focus on these then even if things don't go well with the interview, you can reapply next year with the grades rather than resitting like I am (yay).

Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

As said above, you didn't do badly! Well done for getting an interview! Plenty of applicants don't make it as far as you did.

Obviously, trying to not think about whether your application is going to be rejected or not is easier said than done, but do try hard! Take the advice written above and really try to focus on your work and getting great exam grades. That way, if you do end up not being successful, you can reapply next year (and many others will be in the same boat as you).

If you take a gap year before reapplying, it gives you a great chance to really improve your entire application, from work experience to extra-curriculars. Plus, you'll have plenty of time to prep for the UKCAT or BMAT to ensure that you boost your performance.

We really hope you hear good news from your final university and have our fingers crossed for you!

However if you are feeling down about it, remember it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go to plan this year. Have a read of our free blog here on what to do if you're unsuccessful, it's got advice on work experience and other things.

We hope this helps, and good luck!

The Medic Portal

OMG Guys, Thanks sooooo much!!

You have completely boosted my self esteem!!, Believe me, after reading these posts I literally have a completely different view on the whole rejection thing. I now think of it as a great oppurtunity to achieve success, and think of it as success rather than failure, because I can do lots of WE, Voluntary work, and see the world, make money, meet new people, find out more about Medicine, improve BMAT and UKCAT and simply when I reapply, I'll get loots of interviews which I can ace because I'll have done so much prep for!!!!

I'm in a great mood after reading these !! THANKSS!!!!
The Medic Portal

OMG Guys, Thanks sooooo much!!

You have completely boosted my self esteem!!, Believe me, after reading these posts I literally have a completely different view on the whole rejection thing. I now think of it as a great oppurtunity to achieve success, and think of it as success rather than failure, because I can do lots of WE, Voluntary work, and see the world, make money, meet new people, find out more about Medicine, improve BMAT and UKCAT and simply when I reapply, I'll get loots of interviews which I can ace because I'll have done so much prep for!!!!

I'm in a great mood after reading these !! THANKSS!!!!

Woo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending