The Student Room Group

AQA History AS level - Modern Britain (1951-2007) & Tsarist Russia (1855-1917)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate if you could answer my concerns over the specification, exam technique and revision - hopefully it will help you all, too.

For these 2 topics, I was wondering how I can aim for an A grade in my exam for the source question and the essay question - what kind of criteria must I be hitting each time to secure the grade? How can I structure my answer? What must it include? What is the 'A' grade way?

Also, how can I consolidate my notes and make sure that I have ONLY the important information that will get me the marks in there? I have a tendency to just try and regurgitate the entire page in the textbook, but that is not getting me the grade that I want!

So, if possible, and it would be very much appreciated: can I have answers to my questions above, please.

Also, revision tips to be achieving the top grades in HISTORY, what I NEED to know etc...

Most importantly, the exam structure itself, for the source question, the essay question, time management, and any grade booster tips/ ideas to secure that aspirational grade!

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

I would really appreciate if you could answer my concerns over the specification, exam technique and revision - hopefully it will help you all, too.

For these 2 topics, I was wondering how I can aim for an A grade in my exam for the source question and the essay question - what kind of criteria must I be hitting each time to secure the grade? How can I structure my answer? What must it include? What is the 'A' grade way?

Also, how can I consolidate my notes and make sure that I have ONLY the important information that will get me the marks in there? I have a tendency to just try and regurgitate the entire page in the textbook, but that is not getting me the grade that I want!

So, if possible, and it would be very much appreciated: can I have answers to my questions above, please.

Also, revision tips to be achieving the top grades in HISTORY, what I NEED to know etc...

Most importantly, the exam structure itself, for the source question, the essay question, time management, and any grade booster tips/ ideas to secure that aspirational grade!

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.

Hey. :hi:

I'm going to be sitting Tsarist Russia in May too. :five:

Here's a few of my revision tips I use:

•

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

•

Condense events into 3 bullet points [Linking with the point above]

•

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

•

Do every single past paper question

•

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute (number them according to the significance)

•

Time yourself when doing essays

•

Practice writing really fast

For source questions first thing to do is read the questions before the sources, so you know what key bits of information you are looking for. I would recommend to take two highlighters in the exams. One colour for similarities and one for differences, this will make it easier for you to answer the first question on sources which is always about similarities and differences. With a pen underline the key points for the 24 marker.

Hope this helps. :h:
Reply 2
Hi guys!
I have posted on the other thread also - I have notes and plans for the A2 HIS3M exam, Making of the Modern World, Britain 1951-2007

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer - these were accurate when I was writing [a year ago] and I've been asked by quite a few people to "dig out some essay plans" - this means I haven't had a chance to review them, so please, if there are any clarifications, shoot me a message

Apologies as I didn't do Tsarist Russia, so unfortunately I do not have anything that is A-Level specific - I did the Nazi Germany instead...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest