The Student Room Group

What time of day would you consider best for a driving lesson (Practical) ?

Hello guys,

I have just booked my practical test which falls on a Friday at 1;30 PM.
I don't know whether this is a good time or if i have made a mistake.

People are saying choose rush hour as the roads are busier, meaning less driving time and more stationary time.

Others are saying choose quieter times ( 10:00 - 14:00 ) as the roads are quieter.

Would anyone be able to give us a few ideas from past experience or knowledge!

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by RichardR21
Hello guys,

I have just booked my practical test which falls on a Friday at 1;30 PM.
I don't know whether this is a good time or if i have made a mistake.

People are saying choose rush hour as the roads are busier, meaning less driving time and more stationary time.

Others are saying choose quieter times ( 10:00 - 14:00 ) as the roads are quieter.

Would anyone be able to give us a few ideas from past experience or knowledge!

Thank you

I've heard that argument before too but I never quite understood the logic behind it. Sure you won't be covering as much distance if the roads are busy but more cars on the road means there is greater potential for mistakes to happen.

I absolutely hate driving in rush hour traffic because that's when people drive far more erratically and you'll find people pulling out in front of you etc.

I had two practical driving tests, one at ~9.15am and the other was a ~12.45pm. I wouldn't say the traffic was particularly quiet or busy for either of them,
I failed my first test though for leaving the car in neutral on a hill start and rolling back :frown: Examiner said I had a lot of things to focus on before resitting my test. Second attempt the examiner (different one this time lol) basically said my driving was faultless though I was close to getting a minor for joining a roundabout too quickly or something.
I passed on the 12.45pm test if that's of any reassurance to you. :smile:
[QUOTE="Stacks;63259361"]I've heard that argument before too but I never quite understood the logic behind it. Sure you won't be covering as much distance if the roads are busy but more cars on the road means there is greater potential for mistakes to happen.

I absolutely hate driving in rush hour traffic because that's when people drive far more erratically and you'll find people pulling out in front of you etc.

I had two practical driving tests, one at ~9.15am and the other was a ~12.45pm. I wouldn't say the traffic was particularly quiet or busy for either of them,
I failed my first test though for leaving the car in neutral on a hill start and rolling back :frown: Examiner said I had a lot of things to focus on before resitting my test. Second attempt the examiner (different one this time lol) basically said my driving was faultless though I was close to getting a minor for joining a roundabout too quickly or something.
I passed on the 12.45pm test if that's of any reassurance to you. :smile:[/QUOTE

Hello and thanks for the reply! yes it has reassured me a bit! :smile:

Also i don't suppose you know about the whole myth about giving only a certain amount of passes a day? is that just a ridiculous myth created from people who have failed multiple times? haha!
Reply 3
Original post by RichardR21
Hello and thanks for the reply! yes it has reassured me a bit! :smile:

Also i don't suppose you know about the whole myth about giving only a certain amount of passes a day? is that just a ridiculous myth created from people who have failed multiple times? haha!

You're welcome! And yeah I've heard about that too haha, constantly seems to get mentioned in threads here. The only people who seem convinced that the "quota" is real are the ones who can't seem to accept responsibility for failing their own driving test.

I was annoyed when I failed my test (particularly because hill starts were literally the only thing I had never had an issue with) and whilst the car rolled back a bit it was still enough to fail for. At the end of the day it was my own fault and getting hung up on it wasn't going to help me pass my test the next time I sat it :tongue:
Original post by Stacks
You're welcome! And yeah I've heard about that too haha, constantly seems to get mentioned in threads here. The only people who seem convinced that the "quota" is real are the ones who can't seem to accept responsibility for failing their own driving test.

I was annoyed when I failed my test (particularly because hill starts were literally the only thing I had never had an issue with) and whilst the car rolled back a bit it was still enough to fail for. At the end of the day it was my own fault and getting hung up on it wasn't going to help me pass my test the next time I sat it :tongue:

Hahaha yes that's what I've heard!Thank you for your time and help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending