The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yup me 2! C to an A!Good luckxxx
Reply 2
lol... im the the same boat... i want to go from a D to at least a B! im trying to do as many past papers as i can but its hard for me! do you guys know of any websites that do good summaries of both AS and A2?

much appreciated!
Reply 3
Hey! Im resitting too because i want an A!
Why don't we start up a revision question thread specific for Foundation?
If anyone wants, here's a question...

*Descibe how insulin is produced by genetic engineering.

I know i found that really hard!
Hate that question lol.

I know it has something to do with reverse transcriptase, endonuclease, sticky ends, and enzymes and all.
Personally, I use the green book, then I run through it in the purple one to see if everything does make sense.

Overall, if you can manage to make good notes from the green one, you would guarantee yourself an A-B grade at A level.
Reply 6
I found that the green book waffled too much!!! I went up from and E to a B in this paper :smile: I found the purple book really really helpful. Also the CGP OCR revision guide is really good if you want a summary of things
what is this purple book you all speak of?!xxx
Reply 8
yup i screwed up in january too. im still on a C in foundation and need an A in it so that i can afford to screw up in unifying concepts. Central concepts + unifying concepts all in the same morning its simply going to be the worst day of my life, and its the day after my c4 exam!! :frown:
Reply 9
mattdns
yup i screwed up in january too. im still on a C in foundation and need an A in it so that i can afford to screw up in unifying concepts. Central concepts + unifying concepts all in the same morning its simply going to be the worst day of my life, and its the day after my c4 exam!! :frown:

I have a 3 hour compositional techniques paper that day as well!!!!

The Purple book is 'Essential A2/AS Biology for OCR by Glenn and Susan Toole, published by Nelson Thornes, its fantastic!!! Well worth the money:smile:
Can someone please explain what is the nitrogen isotope thing all about for proof of semi-conservative replication because I do not have a CLUE what it is all about!

Also wtf is the human genone project?
Reply 11
davidjones90
Can someone please explain what is the nitrogen isotope thing all about for proof of semi-conservative replication because I do not have a CLUE what it is all about!

Also wtf is the human genone project?

The experiment acts as evidence for semi-conservative DNA replication. A bacterium was grown in ammonium chloride, which contains nitrogen - in this case nitrogen-15. The bacteria used this to make their DNA, and since they were left long enough to divide many times, nearly all of their DNA contained nitrogen-15 atoms (which would make their DNA heavier than if nitrogen-14 were used.) Some of these bacteria were transferred to a food source where all the nitrogen atoms were nitrogen-14. Some were left for long enough for their DNA to replicate once, others for longer. DNA was extracted from each group of bacteria, placed in solution and spun in a centrifuge. The heavier the DNA, the closer to the bottom of the tube it came to rest.

The DNA from the bacteria grown with ONLY nitrogen-15 formed a band near the bottom of the tube as you'd expect. The DNA that was then transferred to nitrogen-14 and replicated ONCE formed a band slightly higher up (an intermediate position). The DNA that replicated TWICE formed two bands: one in the intermediate position and one slightly higher still. These results fitted in with the idea of semi-conservative replication. It helps to look at a diagram (there's a good one here:http://www.steve.gb.com/science/dna_replication.html)

Hope that helps!

And the Human Genome Project is a project to work out the base sequence of the human genome... I bet there's loads of stuff on the internet if you just look :wink:

(Whoops I got slightly carried away there... didn't mean to write an essay!!)
nice one !!! :smile:
Reply 13
i really hope the paper is orite...not that hard....wat do u think mite come up in the foundation paper....i think they are going to ask about nitrogen cycle, water, protein synthesis and DNA replication, gene technology and probably root hair stuff....what do u guys think
Well, how are people doing with revision for this paper?

I got a D first time, C second time, and i'm pretty sure I will make it an A this third time (fingers crossed)

I think I know pretty much everything now having gone through everything in the book properly.
I'm taking the exam for the first time in jan, we did a mock last week i think it was the jun 2007 one and i got a B so hopefully with some revision i'll get a B in the real exam or Fingers crossed an A...

I thought this was an OCR website but apparently its not, but it has all the past papers and mark schemes for every exam that has gone for this specification
www.thepaperbank.co.uk
Whats the green book that people are talking about we have the purple one and i've got a really good revision guide thats orange on the front with two hands reaching out for each other..would def recommmed in anyones looking for one
Yeh, thats Biology 1 you're talking about....
Well guys, 2 weeks away from the exam, and who can say they're ready?

Im pretty optimistic about the paper, only for the reason that it's my 3rd time doing it (hopefully 3rd time lucky!)
I'm retaking the Transport module, and realise I have gone horribly wrong with my Plan for the practical experiment - can anybody help me with how you are supposed to structure it? Any help VERY much appreciated!
yeh, I'm retaking foundation aswell!

need 80+ on this paper

Latest

Trending

Trending